SVS subs

bambam

Although I don't have an SVS, I've been on this forum since 2000 and I've yet to hear anything really bad about them. Has everyone that's bought one liked it? Not really. But the folks that sold or sent one back did so 'cause it wasn't really what they were looking for and not because it was a bad product.

Having said that, with the speakers you've just bought, hang onto your money and give Klipsch's new RT12d sub a try. Should be out within a few months. Hearing good things about that bottom dweller.

Tom

20-39PC+ owner for 3 years now. I have owned 3 subs, a Klipsch SW-8 II, a Paradigm (can't think of the model, the one under the servo 15) and this SVS. I demoed countless subs including many that were quite a bit more than my SVS and frankly nothing delivered the quality of the SVS. With music this sib disapears and blends in with my RF-7's very nicely. With movies the sub can absolutely knock your socks off. I am 100% thrilled with my sub.

SVS has a trial period were you can send your sub back if not 100% satisfied, all you are out is the shipping and while that's sort of a leap of faith, there arent that many that get sent back. I would suggest demoing as many subs as you can with movies or music you are familier with and then ordering a SVS for a trial and see if you arent equally impressed with their product. If you are not sure which model to get, then you can email their tech support with a description of your room, equipment, budget and listening habbits and they can nail down a good fit for you.

Good luck with your quest.

• 2 weeks later...

If your main focus will be movies, then by all means, go with an SVS. They will most definately knock your house off its foundation.

However, if you are more interested in music, I'd look into something like a Sunfire or Earthquake SuperNova or even the Definitive Technology Super Cube subs.

I have had various models of SV Subs. My favorite is the PC Ultra (cylinder) which fits in my room nicely. The music reproduction in this model far exceeds the previous Plus and PCi models. With that said, there are a few posts in other forums that the Plus line has a ecently updaed driver which is supposedly giving the Ultra a run for its money. Not 100% sure on this but if you pop onto there website and drop them an email, I am sure hey will recommend the RIGHT product for you.

Eh, I'm one of the ones who sent my SVS sub back. I do listen to a lot of music and after listening to Klipsch RSW, Sunfire and Velodyne it really seemed to lose a lot of it's value for me. Like it was stated before, I'm not saying its a bad product, it just wasn't for me since I do a lot of music. YMMV, but you definitely should listen to a spread of subs before you just dive into one.

I have an SVS 25-31 PCi...and it rules for both movies and music.

If you're looking to accurately reproduce what the engineer intended, SVS is your best bet.

If you want the sub to 'enhance' the sound of poor recordings, by boosting the bass in certain frequency ranges, then SVS is not for you.

Depends on what you prefer.