Headphones, etc. for Walkman, I-Pod, etc.?

DizRotus

My 15-year-old son listens to sports radio constantly on his Sony Walkman radio (hi-fi is not the issue). He breaks the headphones/ear-buds on a regular basis. Headphones break where they attach to the headband and headphones and ear-buds fail at the plug. Repairing those delicate wires is impractical. The expensive ones last no longer than the cheap ones.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Does anyone have experience with ear-buds and/or headphones that are more robust? Conversely, are there brands that are known for being unreasonably fragile? Perhaps the only solution is to buy a gross of cheap ones and replace as needed.

Neil, when I was in HS I had the same problem... breaking headphones all the time because I was careless, ive walked through the doors and the cord would get ripped getting caught on the handle, sat on them, etc etc. I bought a cheap sony for like $15 or so that lasted me almost 2yrs. It went through so much damage in gr.11 and 12 but always worked... probably not the best in quality, not even close! But it was quite reliable. I use a more expensive sony now, the MDREX71 its very nice. I hear the Sennheiser MX450 which goes for around $17 is very good for its price.

Neil-

Look no further, I have the solution. Plus your kid will think they are cool, because DJ's use them. They are Sennheiser HD 497. Great Clarity and bass extension, plus, when you step on the cord, the earpeice seperates from the cord. Seem indistructable to me. I have owned them for 6 months, been on many a trip, and am never unamazed. Stepped on the cord a couple times too. I prefer over the ear, earbuds dont fit too well. I think I paid around $50.00 for them check em out here...

http://shop.synthplanet.com/product-froogle.lasso?pr=024831&-Session=shop:45F4A008080ee3448ENYY43EFEED&stid=synthplanet&from=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rls%3DGGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-34%2CGGLD%3Aen%26q%3Dsennheiser+hd+497

Good luck!