HELP! HK930 volume control shot

That's right my volume pot is shot!!! Has anyone had any luck finding replacement pots for these old HKx30's??? I've already contacted Harman Kardon and they no longer sell the volume control for these antiques which is no surprise really. I know that it's a 100k ohm pot and the brand is alps, but I don't know any of the other specs (wattage, audio or liner, etc). Can anyone point me in the right direction or does anybody have an old non- working HKx30 that they could sell me the volume pot out of? HELP!!!

I haven't tried cleaning it, but I don't think that cleaning it will help. It isn't just dirty (I know what that sounds like b/c my HK430 needs the pots cleaned). When you turn the volume control, you can hear what sounds like a needle dragging across metal and you can hear it catch on something every once in a while. When actually playing when you turn the knob, the sound shifts from one channel to another and when you feel the needle pop free the volume jumps drastically.

I haven't tried cleaning it, but I don't

think that cleaning it will help. It isn't just dirty (I know what that

sounds like b/c my HK430 needs the pots cleaned). When you turn the

volume control, you can hear what sounds like a needle dragging across

metal and you can hear it catch on something every once in a

while. When actually playing when you turn the knob, the sound shifts

from one channel to another and when you feel the needle pop free the

volume jumps drastically.

I know it sounds a little silly, but I really would try cleaning the pot as suggested.

Use some Caig Deoxit and flush/flood the pot and work it for 20

turns. Do this 2 or 3 times. For the cost of the spray,

it's worth ruling out.

Barring that you could get a junker unit. Either a

dead/nonworking 930 to use as a parts unit (ideal) or research how far

down the line HK used the same volume pot and pick up a 330, 430, 630,

Get a volume pot that fits physically and specwise. Not ideal,

but if you're not looking towards resale, it could do the job.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Paul[:)]

they didn't even have any with a knurled shaft that would fit the knob I have.

Are we talking pots or prophylactics here?! [:o]

Have you tried the standard 'turn the volume knob all the way up and down 50-100 times with the power off and amp unplugged' trick yet?

they didn't even have any with a knurled shaft that would fit the knob I have.

Are we talking pots or prophylactics here?! [:o]

Have you tried the standard 'turn the volume knob all the way up and down 50-100 times with the power off and amp unplugged' trick yet?

LOL!

I haven't tried that, but I'll give it a shot although I don't think it's going to help much...something is broke in there. You can hear all this scratching and poping when you move the volume control.

I agree that the first step is to clean and then twist the knob many, many times (turn the unit off).

Alps is a good brand, it should not be problem to replace it. The specs would be 100k with an audio taper. Give them a call, they can lead you through it. A possible snag would be the physical dimensions if the space is tight.

Good luck,

-Tom

I've been busy the past week so I haven't had a chance to go by Radio Shack to get the cleaner, but I was able to turn the control many, many times and much to my suprise, the rough feel and all the scratchy noises from inside the pot are almost completely gone! I hooked it back up to the speakers and there are still some problems on the bottom end of the volume range with one channel fading in and out. I'm thinking that the cleaner may just do the trick!!! I'm hoping to try cleaining the pot this weekend. I'll report back with my results. Thanks for everyone's help.

I've been busy the past week so I haven't had a chance to go by Radio Shack to get the cleaner... I'm hoping to try cleaining the pot this weekend. I'll report back with my results.

When you get to radio shack, if they are out of DeOxit, don't try any of their other products.

You might have better luck buying DeOxit at Radio Shack online or even eBay, which is where I bought mine.

I called both my local Radio Shacks and asked if they carried DeOxit and both of them said no. [:@]