Adding 5th channel speaker to 4.1 Klipsch's?

Zathras

I've heard sentiments like Zathra's on many occasions desiring a center channel. I've also heard, and by now understand, the argument that a center channel is extraneous when front speakers aren't very distant apart when using a "phantom center". But do you suppose Klipch will eventually tire of explaining the merits of a powerful and quality 4.1 system (as some on this BB have), and appease that demand, extraneous or not? Opinions?

I truely do hope that Klipsh does decide to offer a 5.1 system sometime in the near future. I am very impressed with thte speaker system, and I bought them before most people even knew about them. However Dolby 4 channel surround sound in no way compares to dolby 5.1 or even dts. I love these speakers but there is so much more to be heard in a true 5.1 system, not just the center channel. Please Klipsch I am begging for 5.1

I agree in a normal computer set up a fifth channel isn't needed. However, if you spread your speakers far enough apart I think a center channel would be necessary. Spreading the speakers far apart enough sounds artificial because you are expecting some sound to be comming directly from the screen. I've moved my speakers far apart before to get better sound cues from my first person shooter games. Against gluegun's advice I want to try the Klipsch's in my living room where they will be 8 feet apart.

Could someone look at the back of their SB Live! or Acoustic Edge 5.1 card and tell me if there is an output for a fifth channel? If you could post a photo that would be even better.

For what it's worth then I guess I won't be be getting a set of Klipsch's until they come out with their 5.1 system.

So how are the 5 channels handled then? My SB Live! 4.1 card has 2 jacks, one for the front channels and one for the rears.

Someone post a reply and I'll brb smile.gif

if you are using an sblive 5.1 or an acoustic edge, nothing is easier.

center channel out into the 2.1

front and rear outs into the 4.1 or v2.400

set sub to no and all speakers to large.

it's easiest with the AE because it's so configurable...