RSW-10 Help Please

mytiburon

I am thinking of buying a RSW-10,and im a bit of a dummy when it comes to subs. My last sub was a crappy 8" passive. I notice on the RSW-10 specs say it has an active rear sub and a front passive sub. Why????? are you supposed to hook the passive up, how would you, i just dont get the concept. thanks in advance for your help. Btw,is this a decent sub, im pairing it with a JBL northridge speakers.

Your Northridge is a front fire sub. witch means you point it were you want the sound to go. The RSW works a little diffrent you place it about 4" to 6" from the wall and the sound hits the wall and then it bonces out to you and the passive speaker in the front acts like a tuned port. The passive speaker has no magnet on it or wires to hook it up.

People ask us why put the active driver on the rear of the RSW subs and the passive radiator on the front?

There is always a cancellation effect between the output from the driver and the reflection from nearby walls. Just so happens that with a sub positioned near a rear wall or in a corner, the cancellation would be in the 60-80 Hz region - not a good place for a lack of output. By putting the active on the rear it changes the frequency at which cancellation between its output and wall reflection occurs to well above the range of the sub.

One might ask why does it matter which "driver" is on the front or back? The output from the passive radiator is lower frequency than the output from the active driver on the rear. Thus it matters which goes where.

• 4 weeks later...

People ask us why put the active driver on the rear of the RSW subs and the passive radiator on the front?

There is always a cancellation effect between the output from the driver and the reflection from nearby walls. Just so happens that with a sub positioned near a rear wall or in a corner, the cancellation would be in the 60-80 Hz region - not a good place for a lack of output. By putting the active on the rear it changes the frequency at which cancellation between its output and wall reflection occurs to well above the range of the sub.

One might ask why does it matter which "driver" is on the front or back? The output from the passive radiator is lower frequency than the output from the active driver on the rear. Thus it matters which goes where.

Thanks for the clarification BobG. I was pondering that a long time ago and realized it must be due to cancelation