Wanted: pair of KSF S5 surround speakers

pathighgate

I've been looking for these to compleate my bedroom HT system. I have a set of KSF 10.5s that I bought in '97. About four months ago I picked up a KSF C5 center channel, and was amazed at how well matched it was to the 10.5s. I'm assuming that since the S5s were initially engineered to be a part of a complete HT system with the 10.5/8.5 and the C5 that they should sound great with what I've got. If they mesh with the system as well as the C5 did, I'll be very, very happy.

I've seen the S5s on eBay before, but there's been nothing for the last month.

I'm trying to get this completed soon. I've been considering picking up a pair of KSF 8.5s and using them as my surround speakers instead, considering they're made with essentially the same components as the 10.5s and should match, but there are space considerations and I'm not sure I want something that big in the back of my bedroom.

Any ideas of what I should do here? Is there any place to find older Klipsch gear for sale other then eBay? Would the 8.5s end up being a better solution, since far more audio is sent to rear channels in today's movie soundtracks then they had when the KSF line was produced in the late 90s?

Suggestions and expert opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the link. They're the right speakers and at the right price. The only downside is that they're white, and would stick out like sore thumbs in this room, which is almost compleatly done in dark woods. My 10.5s are Rosewood, which look great. The C-5 is black, and the C5s would have to be black too. I know that's a really bad nitpick, but

the white would just look too weird in here.

I like that website, and it'll be another place I check regularly.

I just put my old Sony SDP E800 on eBay, and will be checking the website every day now for the Klipsch.

I know what you mean especially reagrding the dark walls where the speakers would be mounted.

As a side comment and not an attempt to change your mind but simply as a comment regarding my experiences, several years ago I owned 5 pairs of KSP-S6 surround speakers. Some black, some white. I sold and/or gave away all except for the 3 that I still have and don't use. Anyway, watching E-Buoy and other sites it was terribly apparent that the white surrounds did not bring the price that the black finish would sell for. That holds true today.

In use, the white finish actually blends into surroundings better that the black finish does (mine are black). My friend has a white pair in his HT room and the S-6's are basically unnoticeable.

Anyway, watch the 'E' site and use auctionsniper.com to avoid running up the price.

Good luck!

Keith

Fanbrain:

I sent you via email the link for the KSF S5s that was sent to me (The white ones).

It looks like you have an almost identical setup as I do, only a slightly different model of Sony speakers for the rear channels. Actually, mine are speakers salvaged from a 'all-in-one' Sony system I had way back in college. The components have long since been trashed, but I never managed to to throw out the speakers. They're not bad speakers, but they're certiantly not great. What surprised me the most was that my Marantz automatic speaker calibration defined them as 'large', despite (what I think) the limited output of them are. When I finally get the KSF S5s, I'll make a note as to the level of difference I get.

Thanks for the email pathighgate.

I bet our spekers came from the same thing. I don't remember model numbers, but I still use the Sony all in one for the subwoofer ("Superwoofer"). I gave the center channel and front main towers to my brother in law. Now I need matching surrounds and a sub to make my modest system complete!

Mines probably a little older. I bought that system back in '92 before subwoofers were standard on mini-systems.

Thankfully, a nice person on these forums has made availble a pair of KSF S5s (in black!) for sale, which I've paid for. I'll probably keep the Sonys, find a cheap receiver and put them in my kitchen. I also have an older pair (purchased in '88) of Bose 101 all weather speakers that I've been trying to find a use for, but honestly, the Sonys blow them away. Someday I might put the Bose out back on the patio. Or sell them. Or something.