La Scala price fair?

hififreq

• Moderators

Yeah...I priced the new La Scala's! $5500.00 if I remember correctly. My uncle is a Klipsch dealer, so I could get a great deal, but even close to wholesale I don't think I can afford them.

I have owned some Altec horn speakers in the past, and I just loved the bigness and forwardness(for a lack of better descriptions) of them. Klipsch's seem like they'll do what I want. Plus....I LOVE the look of the La Scala's!

The Dynaudio's don't really do anything wrong. They're accurate, non-fatiguing, big-sounding for their size, not too bright, look great....etc. I just don't find myself getting "involved" with them. I don't come home from work lusting to hear them. My old Alon IV and Dahlquist DQ-10's on the other hand made me WANT to listen. Can I expect the same from La Scala's?

Corey

Ok, being that your Uncle is a dealer and you can get them wholesale here is my offer. You set it up so I can purchase a set of La Scala's wholesale from your Uncle, I will drive my LaScalla's up to you, and will sell them to you for $1,000.

I have a seminar in Cambridge I am attending in July and was going to be up there a couple of weeks earlier in Newport.

Travis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a pair of mint 93 lascalas with al3 crossovers about a year ago for 1050. I had to drive three hours to get them which is no big deal. Would I pay 1500 for them after I've had a year to enjoy them? Yes I would. But saying that and I may get flamed for this I still prefer my cornwalls with a slight edge. My wife likes the las over the corns. To my ears the corns just have a mellower balance. Now the las with proper equipment will put you on the edge of your seat and you will definitely enjoy them if you like the rf75's. I'd offer him 1200 which is a fair deal for ones in excellent condition without having to have them shipped.

I agree with this CW/LS assessment wholeheartedly- I still say after much listening to both in the same room with same equipment that it depends on WHAT you're listening to. Some music likes the LS, some the CW.

I would say that on the whole, LS like a larger room and more distance from the listener.

M

Lovely discourse gentlemen, allow me to retort.

I am 47, work for myself, live alone with three cats and have Klipsch speakers piled up everywhere. There are four fully operational systems in the house, LS and CW's in the living room, only one room without speakers. No car can fit in my garage because of the inventory.

I'm honestly not sure which of us is better off. But don't ask me for relationship advice.

Michael

I also think that the lascalas just prefer to be driven at a higher output level. The corns, to me, sound better at lower volumns. But the las are great speakers. Different strokes for different folks. I don't plan on getting rid of either pair(corns or las).

I have not heard them yet. I'm going to buy a pair and live with them for a time to see if they're for me. That's one of the reason's I don't want to over-pay for them. If they need to be sold, I'd like to get my money out of them. I don't need to make money on them, I just hate losing it!

I spoke with the seller of the local pair on Saturday, and offered him $1200.00. I told him that $1500.00 was high compared to Ebay pricing, and that I had to have a friend help to get them from the third floor. He said his wife would allow $1400.00, but no less. I told him to call me when he gets tired of walking around them! L.O.L.!

Corey

Good, I wasn't going to say this, but I have an immaculate, previously 1 owner pair of LSBR's that have a nice walnut stain and BLO finish. Moved only twice, absolute mint. Paid $750 and picked up about 2.5 hours from Indy.

I know of another FOrum member who paid about the same for 90's black LS in mint shape.

So there are deals out there to be had. $1500 (or even $1200 imho) is way too much to pay unless they have a veneered finish.

Heck, I gave less than that for my fibreglass/trimmed LSI splits, and they are mint as well.

Michael

Michael,

Those deals are getting to be fewer and fewer.

I picked my '86 LS up West of Chicago, quite a drive from North Georgia. They are stained lacquer, and not mint. I paid $1300, and still consider them worth every penny, even though I will replace the crossovers soon. If I had made the drive just for them it would have been too much, but they were within twenty miles of a trip I was on anyway.

Plus, I knew I would like the sound of them. It wasn't long ago that I had offers that were under $500. I couldn't swing it at the time. Still a bit of a stretch now, but again, I love them. I do have a line on another pair for a bit less. They would also require a long drive, but could be merged with another trip as well.

Bruce

Well........even though these La Scala's didn't happen, I just got some good news from a friend. He has sold his parents home, and is in the process of cleaning it out. He just called and said, "Hey, aren't you into tube hi-fi as well?"(I love it when the conversation starts like that!) "I have my dad's Harman-Kardon Citation I amp that I'll never use.....do you want it?"

HELL YA!!!!!!!!!

Works out well that he's a bass player, and I own a guitar shop. He'll get some gear he needs, and I get a Citation. Maybe I'll get a pair of Heresy's to use until I find the La Scala's.

Corey

Michael,

Those deals are getting to be fewer and fewer.

I picked my '86 LS up West of Chicago, quite a drive from North Georgia. They are stained lacquer, and not mint. I paid $1300, and still consider them worth every penny, even though I will replace the crossovers soon. If I had made the drive just for them it would have been too much, but they were within twenty miles of a trip I was on anyway.

Plus, I knew I would like the sound of them. It wasn't long ago that I had offers that were under $500. I couldn't swing it at the time. Still a bit of a stretch now, but again, I love them. I do have a line on another pair for a bit less. They would also require a long drive, but could be merged with another trip as well.

Bruce

That's always been one of the keys for me Bruce. Trip expenses can eat you up, especially with fuel costs, unless you can bucket brigade them or merge two trips. So price depends on age, condition, supply and demand, and PROXIMITY to an interested buyer.

If I really figured in some of my trips for Klipsch the out-of-pocket costs would be astronomical. As it was, nearly every time out I've managed to meet another Forum member and get in a good listening session. Bearing that in mind the trips turned out to not be expensive, but PRICELESS. As are the tales of mystery and adventure from ferrying my babies home.

Michael

There is certainly a balance betwen getting ripped off and getting the deal of the century. Perhaps we do some injustice when we often tell people they would be paying too much.

My trip meant dropping the youngest off at college, visiting my mom, meeting up with a highschool buddy I hadn't communicated with in over 30 years, and picking up the LS. A priceless trip in my mind. And meeting another forum member was great even if the time at Bernie's house was short. I haven't even figured up the miles, but it was probably over 2K.

Bruce

There is certainly a balance betwen getting ripped off and getting the deal of the century. Perhaps we do some injustice when we often tell people they would be paying too much.

My trip meant dropping the youngest off at college, visiting my mom, meeting up with a highschool buddy I hadn't communicated with in over 30 years, and picking up the LS. A priceless trip in my mind. And meeting another forum member was great even if the time at Bernie's house was short. I haven't even figured up the miles, but it was probably over 2K.

Bruce

Bruce,

It would have been great if you could have stayed a little longer but I knew you had a really long ride ahead of you and I knew you were kinda anxious to get home and listen to them asap. You're right about meeting another forum member. It's reassuring to actually meet someone else who shares the same love for great sound, and to know that there really are more nuts out there like yourself who really know the difference between listening to your stereo, and really listening to and truly appreciating the music your sound system can reproduce and the enjoyment you can get from it. [:D]

Michael Colter said, " . . nearly every time out I've managed to meet another Forum member and get in a good listening session. Bearing that in mind the trips turned out to not be expensive, but PRICELESS."

Michael-

Meeting you was priceless but listening to Take Five from my laptop into those pre-restoration La Scalas in the truck stop parking lot does not qualify as "a good listening session." Someday we'll have to do it right. See you at Picky's?