A new toy to play with: RC-64

Professor.Ham.Slap

Man this thing is massive! Fortunately it isn't overly tall so I barely squeezed it into the top shelf of my TV stand. I got a decent deal of $750 from the dealer given that it was my first time shopping there, but I can already say it was well worth it. After I get a chance to do some more listening tomorrow at higher volumes, I'll let you know what I think overall.

One more quick side note, I'm pairing this center with RF-7's and they seem to match really well so far.

that sounds great, the rc64 is massive as heck! did it fit length wise? But they are sealed enclosure so they will not dig as deep as your rf 7, you probably will have to set them small?

Anyways that sounds good since I might in the future upgrade to a 5.1 or 7.1 system

In most instances a sealed enclosure will have smoother and a more controlled bass response than a ported enclosure at the sacrifice of some overall output.

Yes more controled and better bass below the resonance point of the port. But then again you need 4 drivers to compensate for the loss in spl. But when having or pairing the rc64 with the rf-7 or the rf-83 which are ported I believe that the you need to have the same type design.

Oh serious question professor ham slap, how does the color of the copper cones differ? is it noticeable or not?

It's not really that noticable. The biggest difference is the obvious dust caps but give the look of it all, they match very well.

Ancientdude: I only have one of them with me this year. I gave the other two for my dad to use in his system at home until I get out of college and actually have a use for more than one (if there really is a use for three). I do have a photo taken last year when I had them set up in my old apartment.

sub3.jpg

Very nice! It looks better with the big TVs which shown on the picture. I wish I have such a dealer around who can give me similar price in NY area [:P]

try removed dealer. They give great instore prices as Klipsch you have to buy in store. I am going to pick up my rf-83 hopefully saturday but most likely next week. I will ask what price I can get because I just picked up the pair of cherry rf-83 for removed price with tax. Which is a steal I believe since the rf-7 are still be sold as "discounted" at removed price. Also Klipsch raised the price supposedly removed price dollars due to better quality finish like knifeback and better bracing. But I will ask.

I want to clear up a bit of confusion over the RC-64. We did not "need" 4 woofers to compensate for lack of porting. The 4 woofer approach was chosen to minimize the height of the speaker. RC-7 is too tall to fit on many audio racks. By going to 4 6.5" woofers instead of 2 8" woofers we solved that problem. In developing the model, we found it had so much bass, there was no need to port it. Sealed design does have advantages over ported and in this case, we chose sealed as the better option. One does not have to match ported to ported as suggested above. The center does need to match the mains but in other ways.

try JandR in manhattan. They give great instore prices as Klipsch you have to buy in store. I am going to pick up my rf-83 hopefully saturday but most likely next week. I will ask what price I can get because I just picked up the pair of cherry rf-83 for 1600 with tax. Which is a steal I believe since the rf-7 are still be sold as "discounted" at 1600. Also Klipsch raised the price supposedly 300 dollars due to better quality finish like knifeback and better bracing. But I will ask.

Got it on the general question part [;)]

I want to clear up a bit of confusion over the RC-64. We did not "need" 4 woofers to compensate for lack of porting. The 4 woofer approach was chosen to minimize the height of the speaker. RC-7 is too tall to fit on many audio racks. By going to 4 6.5" woofers instead of 2 8" woofers we solved that problem. In developing the model, we found it had so much bass, there was no need to port it. Sealed design does have advantages over ported and in this case, we chose sealed as the better option. One does not have to match ported to ported as suggested above. The center does need to match the mains but in other ways.

I have been corrected! And I do realize the 4 woofer with the midrange only in the middle two speakers to stop the muddiness of the midrange if given all four concept. Nice incorporation but now the rc64 might not fit in sideways [:P]

• 1 month later...