can i run a powered subwoofer without a receiver?

FooF

i dont hvae a receiver right now and im building an HT system piece by piece. if i got the subwoofer first, could i connect it straight to my dvd player using the line level input ? my dvd player has a/v stereo analog outputs... i have adapters for it though. what type of jack do the line level inputs on most subwoofers take?

that failing, would it be possible to output the amps on my klipsch promedia subwoofer (from my computer) through the speaker level inputs on a new subwoofer? and then connect the satellites to the speaker level outputs on the sub? problem with this might be that the klipsch promedia sub will filter out the low frequency and only send high frequency to the bigger sub ;/ i dont have money for a receiver right now and i was hoping there would be a way to do this.

This message has been edited by FooF on 10-29-2001 at 03:11 AM

foo, most powered subs can have line level or speaker level inputs or both. if your dvdp has 5.1 outputs you could connect it's sub preout to the rca jack type line input of a powered sub. but then only your dvdp would drive the sub.

other ways to run it through a promedia system but i'm not familiar w/ whichever sys u might have. i've got aura aspect for the pc Smile.gif

------------------

What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?

My Home Systems Page

my dvd player only has optical digital output and stereo a/v outputs ;/ so i guess the only way would be to try hooking the stereo a/v outputs the the line level input, or send the klpisch promedia amps through the new sub, which probably wont get me any bass at all Frown.gif