Ideal Subwoofer Location

RoseRx

Is front & off-center the optimum location for subwoofer placement? I was thinking of placing my black RSW-10 along the back wall, besides the couch, beneath an end table, rendering it less obtrusive. It just kind of looks out of place with the cherry finished speakers. Am I emphasizing aesthetics over acoustics?

There's way too many variables to say that any subwoofer placement would be recommended over another way.

Things such as room size and phase cancellation with your other speakers are only a couple items that will make a huge difference as to the best location.

Best way to find out is sit where you normally listen and have someone move the sub around a bit until it sounds best to you.

Or if you must find the best spot by yourself, without anyone else to help you: put the sub in your normal listening chair or spot, and then crawl around on the floor in the potential spots for the sub, until you find the place where it sounds the best. Basically you want to reverse the location of yourself/listening position with the sub, so you can hear what the sub will sound like in that spot. Let me know if the way I'm phrasing this is confusing.

As small as our Living Rm. is after trying the sub in four different places it sounds best where it is now. Don't bother hiding the cable until a satisfactory location has been found though, and it just may take a few days. Well worth the effort.

As each room is unique, length height width etc, even the displacement of the room (i.e. couch, table, etc factor in there is no specific or standard law of placing a sub. But there is one key factor, your ears and how the like bass. Are you a bass heavy person or a bass light, by moving the sub around you can hit a node or not and the bass can sound weak or it can sound overtaxing. Just play around with placement where you can compromise placement with sound.

I was thinking of placing my black RSW-10 along

the back wall, besides the couch, beneath an end table, rendering it

less obtrusive.

Though it would be visually less obtrusive in that location, I am

pretty sure you would find it sonically obtrusive. By all means go

ahead and try it, but you are probably going to notice that the bass

doesn't seem to be coming from the same location as the mains which can

be distracting for some people.

I'm also not sure where your couch is located, but having the sub

against walls introduces boundary gain which extends the low frequency

response and increases SPL. So the corners are the ideal location

followed by placement along a single wall, and the worst location would

be in the middle of the room.

yes, alot of it has to do with how you like the bass to sound. Typically, placing it near the corner will give you the most output. Placing it away from the corner will make the bass sound and feel cleaner, with less distortion. I find that placing it about 1 foot away from a corner is the best compromise usually.

Place trhe sub where it blends best with the mains,where it sounds best to you.There is no such thing as ideal sub spot.As rooms vary,acoustics vary and one great spot for someone in their room may be far from ideal in your room.

Better place priorities first,sound quality above asthetics.