Don't have room for Heresy center speaker...what's a guy to do?

bsacco

I have Cornwall mains...simply put, I'm just looking for any speaker that can up with them.

Yes, In a perfect world Heresey's would be the best match sonically, But I have entertainment center furniture, 50" rear projection TV plus all my audio gear all stacked up...It's starting to look like I'm running sound for a Led Zeppelin concert circa 1972!

I'm pushing W.A.F. factor as it is...

I have a space in my ent center for a center speaker.... it's 22" wide by 8" high...

Does anyone know of an appropriate speaker that can work and is this size?

The closest size-wise would be the KV series. They were designed as centers for the KG series. The KV-3 is 7.9" high and 22.25" wide, so it may be too big. The KV-2 is 6.75" high and 20" wide.

Only you could decide whether they were close enough, given the size limitations. They will certainly not be as good as a three-way Heresy.

Taking this discussion a little off track: How would the RC-35 match with Heritage fronts?

-Fauzi

considering that you're talking the oldest and newest series, with different woofer materials, horn types, crossover points, three way vs two way, etc. - this would be the worst mismatch possible. I used to have RC7 with Cornwall, moving 'backwards' into KLF-C7 is a much better match, Academy would be better, another Heritage would be best.

Try to stay in the same 'family' if not in the exact same speaker.

M

Colterphoto!

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I don't have the room for another Heritage in my HT setup, nor does my wife have the patience, nor are the Heritage available readily in Pakistan.

The only other option that I have is a KG speaker that I have, or someone on this forum guided me towards the KV5 (I think that's the model #). How do both options sound?

Fauzi

Taking this discussion a little off track: How would the RC-35 match with Heritage fronts?

-Fauzi

Badly.

How good are you with the saw and the glue? A custom center with a Heresy tweeter and mid flanked by two 6.5" or 5 1/4" woofers would make you a happy guy.

I think you'd be better off with the KV or KG than reference in terms of matching.Sometimes it looks like it's basically buying what's available and what will fit. We might have to get off of our 'matching' high-horses for you guys.

So is there anyone out there with either of these other centers in use with Heresy?

M

How good is your central image with 2-channel music? If it's good, then your best bet would be to run a phantom center
(phantom center means the center channel information gets divdided evenly between the L/R mains...every reciever is capable of it).

In my situation my mains are spread far apart such that I have to use a center channel (not to mention the processing on the receiver sucks)...and all I can afford/fit is an SC-1 between my Chorus II's...and man does it sound awful. I will be moving shortly into a better room and will probably end up running phantom.

Even with a heresy inbetween I think the phantom sounds better...

The KLF-C7 is a great match for cornwalls though.

If you're good with a saw I would suggest you do some sort of custom installation. Do you have any pictures of your setup? Or perhaps some sketches? That would really help in finding a suitable alternative to the ideal.

thanks for the replies guys...

I don't know how to post a pic with my post...I can do it if someone explains how...

So, it seems the KV-3 or KLF C7 will be the most appropriate for my situation.

I'll also need rear surrounds and a rear center speaker...any recommendations?

funny you should mention that...I've always though about modifying a heresy speaker into a smaller box to use as a basturedized academy!

How do you go about making a crossover to match a 6" or 5.25" woofers?

Has anyone on the forum done this?

When typing a reply there is a tab up above the text box that says

"options" - when you click on it there is a file attachment dohickey

that will upload your picture to the server. When you finish writing

your post and click submit the picture automatically gets added to the

bottom of your post.

The crossover in customized cabinet would be real easy to

do...depending on the drivers you go with it will be no change or just

one part to add.

There are a few guys that have made customized center speakers...though

there was a while ago where we were trying to find suitable ~6" drivers

and we couldn't really find any good cost effective options that