High Definition.... My hiney!

Joe Shmoe

So I am over at my buddy's house & we happen to be watching a movie, when he switched to HBO-HD or something like that. He then made a statement about "yea that's much better". Being a good friend and didn't want to offend him at all, I didn't say anything, but there's no way that was High Def. He has an RCA something or other widescreen rear projection unit hooked via component cables to his Satellite box. I asked for his manual, but he didn't have it handy. The cable box has a HDMI/DVI jack, so if his TV is capable, would that make a big difference? I am using Component cables also, but High Definition is definitely High Definition at my house....something just cannot be right there. I am not sure if it's just a cheap TV or what the deal is... I just can't let him go on thinking thats the shit lol.

Speaking of HD, a friend of mine just got a 26" Samsung LCD HDTV, has it hooked upto his digital cable box via HDMI, all I can say is HD isn't here yet, Time Warner Cable has that crap so comapressed, I can't even bare watching sports in HD, any fast movement makes the image pixelate like a mofo, hooked upto his HTPC via VGA playing WMD-HD it looks freakin amazing, but that digital HD cable stuff is just not there yet. Maybe other cable providers or satellite is better, but I'm not liking what I saw there.

I believe that what HBO considers HD is actualy line doubling . If you switch from HBO to say The Discovery Channels HD , there is a big difference . Remember for true HD the image must be recorded in HD , broadcast in HD and received in HD . What HBO and other premium channels are doing is filling the screen on your wide screen TV , which ain't a bad thing .

I myself just get local programming OTA in high definition during primetime & special sporting events, and the difference is incredible from regular Comcast cable. That's why I wondered if it was his TV or just a crappy Satellite signal?

I believe that what HBO considers HD is actualy line doubling . If you switch from HBO to say The Discovery Channels HD , there is a big difference . Remember for true HD the image must be recorded in HD , broadcast in HD and received in HD . What HBO and other premium channels are doing is filling the screen on your wide screen TV , which ain't a bad thing .

That is one network that looked absolutly amazing, Discovery HD wow. They got the goods.

Check the settings on the Satellite box. The signal from the satellite could be an issue, but there is a strong possibility that he is watching in 408i or 480p, because he didn't change the settings.

What makes the signal weak on satellite is not "line doubling" or that it's not "recorded in HD" (whatever that means). The reason the satellite signal is not very good is that they use too much compression. They simply don't have the bandwidth to bring you as many channels as they try to. Try checking out a movie on HBO-HD on a Sunday Afternoon during football season. I'm sure they will improve the quality eventually, but until then I'm sticking to cable. I was a long time Satellite devotee until the quality of the HD broadcasts starting going down the toilet.

The cable box has a HDMI/DVI jack, so if his TV is capable, would that make a big difference?

TV quality will make a huge difference in picture quality.

Also, the information I've read recommends DVI for LCD or Plasma TVs, Component for RPTVs.

While you might see an improvement with a DVI/HDMI connection, the HD picture should still look excellent even with component.

I'm still willing to bet that he has his Satellite set to the default options, and has not enabled 720p and/or 1080i.

• Moderators

While you might see an improvement with a DVI/HDMI connection, the HD picture should still look excellent even with component.

I'm still willing to bet that he has his Satellite set to the default options, and has not enabled 720p and/or 1080i.

I think you are right , when we got sat i was not to happy with the hd. Then i found out how to get into the menu and the installer had left it in the default setting even though i had told him i got the sat for hd and the tv will take 1080i.

When i changed it to 1080i it was a big difference ,and hd movie channels were also much better. rptv / component cables / dish

Well, I think I know what you mean when you say recorded in HD. You are saying that it is not HD if it wasn't recorded with a High Definition Video Camera. If that's the case, then I guess CSI isn't really HD. Also, why are the manufacturers coming out with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray? After all, most of the films that will be coming out in those formats were not filmed with HD cameras, but rather FILM cameras.

I just wanted to give some input on cables.I use a hdmi on my 50"Sony

lcd (from dish HD,looks great)but when I used component cables it looked just as

good.I just wanted to have one cable do aud/video,so in that respect

its better.

Also, why are the manufacturers coming out with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray? After all, most of the films that will be coming out in those formats were not filmed with HD cameras, but rather FILM cameras.

Actually if you look at the back of a lot of new DVDs you'll see they say something like "Recorded in High Definition" or "Filmed in High Definition"

Exactly, yet its not being outputted in High Def.

Im guessing that for older DVD's, the players will apply a resolution filter

or up convert them even higher.

And remember, this whole HD thing isnt all about making this sound and look

purdy, its all about copyright protection, period.

Joe

Joe: I've got a JVC D-VHS (Digital -VHS) recorder that will play and record in True 1080i Hi Def. I've had the machine for about 3 years. The movies for it are quite pricey (about $25 to $35). Some of them are in 6.1 surround. The format trade name is "D-Theater". It's true that many of the films were originally done on actual film rather than on digital HD cameras. However, these D-VHS movies are as close to the real theater experience that you can get a home. It's how they transfer the film to tape that matters, and they do these in true high def. Movies that were originally filmed in Hi-Def look even more stunning on D-VHS. The blank tapes are only about $10 bucks. If you're ever in the area, Joe, stop on by and I'll show you 'U-571' in Hi-Def. The depth charge scene will knock you out of your seat! I also have 'Don't say a word' and 'Entrapment'. -Glenn

Ref: http://www.dvhsmovie.com/

At the risk of getting in trouble.. I will pass this on to you. You did NOT hear it from me at all!!!!! USE at your own risk!! But this is safe... Go slow, follow what I say here to the letter.

That said... if your on Comcast, grab your remote..

Click power to turn it off..

Click menu..

It will show you what settings you have. 480p 720p 1080i from your cable box.

Also, how you want the size of the screen to be. (480 over ride on the screen to stretch it out too on non 16x9 material.)

It will also show compression..(take all of it off)

And some other stuff I would not recommend going into.

When done, hit power. ENJOY!!!!

If you see a MUCH better picture.. Thank me later. This is a great way to see if 720P or 1080i is better for you too. I still feel 1080i is better on my Infocus 7210 in High Def. And, everyone is right.. Discovery in HD is amazing! So are the NBA TV Basketball games when in HD too.

Enjoy!!!