Picky: (Dead-Wings Can't Get Past San Jose, La-La-La-.......)

M.E. 262

Yep, playoffs are not always a bed of roses. As for Manny Legace, he did let some by that I agree, should have been stopped. All goalies do that from time-to-time. Bad timing, I suppose. But, the one thing Legace can't do is score goals, and the Wings have been having one heck of a time doing that. It wasn't until third period last night that the Wings finally seemed to find a key to that neutral zone lock the Oilers have employed since the second game. But, they lost it in the 2nd OT to Stoll who, along with Smyth, is proving to be nearly as valuable to the Oilers as Pronger. Those boys sure are playing some great hockey. Naturally, I hope the Wings can still salvage what's left and then move to the next round. It could have went either way in OT last night, but the Oilers scored first. That's the way it happens some times. Both teams are working very hard and that's what counts.

gonzp: We too are sorry you couldn't make it out to our place. You've got a rain check for the next time you're in the neighborhood. But, we're glad you did have a great time and a safe trip getting back home. Did you do any good on any of the AK Fest raffles?

-Glenn

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was practically a tradition that the stars played the oil in the first round. The oil will give you fits. So this year no oil, but the stars showed up too late for the avs, then a couple of bad breaks, and it looks like they are toast. The wings will win the series I think, but it won't be easy.

The RW finally stopped the skid...... I hope that they can get up on these pesky Oilers. They really are a very fast cohesive team.

I am still not comfortable with Legacy in the crease........

Picky, No luck in the raffles. They drew numbers all around mine they just didn't draw mine. When I got home I told Rosalie "I went to Dettroit and didn't even get a stinkin T-Shirt"!

Who-Whee! Whadda Game last night!

It's great to see physical hockey again, ...almost! The danged rule changes are succeeding in softening-up the game. The penalties are being called fairly even on both teams, but OMG: The stoppage of play is ridiculous, as are the reasons for the calls. The things the officials now consider "a hook", "a trip", "a hold"......sheesh! The game is getting too "sanitized". 20 penalties over 3 periods: Ridiculous!

Both Legace and Roloson are pretty evenly matched:

After 4 games:

Legace has given up 11 goals, Roloson 12. Of course, Roloson has faced a league-high 170 shots, Legace 106 (looks like the Wings' defensive unit is a bit more effective).

Legace's goals-against is 2.00. Roloson's is 2.19

Legace's save percentage is .896. Roloson's is .929. (Roloson's facing a lot more shots than Legace: again, the Wings' defensive unit at work).

gonzp: You have a PM!

I third the groan.

But, I don't know that goalkeeping has been their biggest problem. Manny would be the first to tell you that he hasn't played as well as he should have, but I would say that goes for the entire team. I mean, compare games four and five and consider the overall energy level of the team.

In game four, the Wings had an exceptional energy level, were skating great and looked like they all wanted the puck. Move to game five and it's a totally different story. They seem to pass the puck a lot more when they are moving around in the offensive zone, rather than look for that shot. It's probably a subtle difference, I guess what I mean is that it seems to be an attitude where they are looking to a teamate to get it done, rather than working as a team to get it done. It's late, I hope that makes sense lol.

David

I tend to aree with David: Goaltending hasn't been their only problem (both goalies GAA is now tied at 2.41): Legacy can't score goals, and apparently, neither can the rest of the team. It takes timely goals to win and of course we need to plug any holes in the net, too with the help of defense= "TEAMWORK"

The Wings' biggest problem in game 5: They played AVERAGE! And average doesn't cut it in the playoffs. Unless they start playing like they want to win, just as the Oil has in all 5 games, they will not make it to the second round.

I agree with oldtimer: I've not given up on them yet. But, they need to get the attitude they had back in the fourth game or it's going to be "tee-offs" instead of "face-offs" times for the Wings tomorrow morning!

I think that a good goalie in the playoffs will take up the slack when the defense and or offense are struggeling. Legacy, is in my opinion, unproven in the playoffs and, so far not stepping up to the plate. I hope like heck that I am wrong. I agree with you though Glenn, the whole team does not seem to be playing with any urgency. GO WINGS!!!

Turco has the same rep as Legace. His stats are way wrong in the playoffs compared to the regular season. When we had Belfour and won the cup, Belfour had the rep that he would never win a cup. Well, he out dueled Hasek, who proved he could not win without an amazing red wings team in front of him. You have to have a goalie playing up to his full potential (standing on his head to block shots) plus a great defense in front of that goalie. Winning the cup is so difficult because of this. That is why there are a few back to back cup winners, but how many three peats? Not many.

Nice panties by the way gonzp.

Yep, the fat lady has sung. Wow, what a phenomenal game of hockey tonight, though. I think the Wings put themselves in a bad position earlier in the series with their lack of energized play, but you really have to hand it to the Oilers tonight. They played a great game. I hate to say it, but I think with a slightly better goaltender, the Wings would have won tonight.

David