Picky: (Dead-Wings Can't Get Past San Jose, La-La-La-.......)

M.E. 262

Do bad calls overturn a 4 goal 3rd period? Stevie Y will now prolly go out uncerimonial. If tonight was your last game Steve, THANK YOU, for the many years of unselfish top level play. Today when the pro athlete is all about himself, Stevie Y is the best example of a team player.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hemsky "KICKED" the Wings out of the playoffs. [:$] The Oilers played with more heart and deserved to win. Whining does no good at all. The Wings got what they played for. Legace didn't bring his best game(s) with him. The Oilers probably still would have won game six, but my only gripe is that puck was kicked in on Hemsky's goal and those turds upstairs allowed it. So long Stevie. I can only hope you decide to play another year. Thanks for a lifetime of miracles!

And so, with that, it's an end to the Wings' season and it's back to the Dusty Hill avatar until October!

post-10177-13819297620896_thumb.jpg

JB, your flyers are playing like they forgot everything Hitchcock taught them....More like Alfred than Ken. My condolences, may the Sabres die a peasant's death.

Thank you. Once it was 4 to 0 and I had to step away from the game and do something else. Gosh they stunk up the playoffs. Oh wellI guess I can watch the Phillies finish in second place in the Eastern Conference 1/2 game out of the wildcard this season, that's alway fun.

Good article. I haven't even picked up a paper to read an analysis of the Stars. Their demise was similar. No key saves in goal, lackluster effort until too late, and giving up late period goals when they had the game won. Someone needs to step up on these teams.

Glenn-

Mitch is right, which is a surprise coming from a novelist rather than a journalist. Ever since we learned that it was really Thursdays that he met with Morrie, I have trouble believing a thing he writes or says

Neil: You're right; I normally don't agree with Albom on many fronts. But, he was dead-on with this article. Perhaps, you may not know that years before Mitch became a novelist, he was a sports writer for the Detroit Free Press....the very same column he continues to write today. Only, now, they've given him "star" status for whatever reason. {yawn}. He also had an afternoon talk show on WJR-AM for the longest time (10 years?). It's since been relegated to the evenings due to a dip in popularity.

M.E. 262: Looks like the "squids" are gonna duke it out with the Oilers next. Should prove to be some exciting hockey.

As an edmonton oilers season ticket holder i pretty much stayed out of this thread and just watched it progressing , i was at all the games in edmonton and they were pretty fricken loud .

The olny thing that got under my skin was the lotal lack of respect given to the oilers by detroit fans , here in edmonton there was nothing but praise about the skill level of detroit and how great of a series it should be ... city TV from edmonton was in detroit, on the street doing interviews before game one ever started ... 99% of the comments did'nt come from the mouths of anyone who knows hockey or the oilers tradition .

Comments like red wings in 4 straight , edmontons not even in the same league as detroit , edmonton does not stand a chance in hell , for christ sake you even had bobby hull on TV saying detroit will walk all over the oilers .

Moter city has a lot to learn about hockey ... Oh sorry ... I meant to say sportsmanship

We're moving onto the next round with the same caution as the last .. win or lose no one here is counting chickens before they hatch .

Dale W: I sympathize with your sentiments about the hockey fans and how they are portrayed on TV in general. Please, just remember one thing: What you heard on TV does not speak for all of us! Those folks apparently have no clue as to the concept of sportsmanship. As evidenced elsewhere in this thread, you will never hear me say anything bad about another team or their overall abilities as a team.

It seems like fans get a crowd mentality at times. Heck the Oiler fans booed every time Chelios got the puck and now the Shark fans boo every time Pronger gets the puck. It happens. Nothing you can do about that.

There's nothing I hate more than the when the "driveby media" is doing their usual schtick of "Let's stir things up!" "We" even had Bobby Hull? No, no: "THE MEDIA" had Bobby Hull dissing on the Oilers, which, by the way, I did not see, not that it matters whether I saw it. But, they nor Bobby Hull speak for me.

I don't like a lot of things that "fans" do or say either, such as chanting the goalie's name and then "You suck!" as Nashville's "fans" usually seem to do. Where's the respect there? Chant his name if you want, but leave off the "you suck" would be nice. There are things that Detroit's fans do to annoy me too: One year they booed "Oh Canada"...what a disgrace! Of course, the opposing team's fans booed the US National Anthem to get even at the next game. What can I say?...it's not a perfect world. Mean people do mean things. Both were in the wrong.

Sorry to see that the "little, green men" from San Jose gave you guys such a tough time last night. Both of your teams sure did look good. I thought either team could win by the level of play they were showing. How about that upset of Carolina shutting down New Jersey in a shut-out the other night and then the AVs getting shutout twice by the Ducks! Man, there were some great games on all weekend! A lot of rookie goal-tenders are sure showing their stuff! 2 more games tonight. -Glenn

The sens and buffalo was a real shotout as well , the third period of that game was pretty exciting for all hockey fans regardless of who you cheer for ... some good caliber hockey .

I don't think edmonton expected the physical game they got last night , Mac T is old school so likly we'll see big black george suit up next game and there will be a few warnings given out about hitting the finesse players or george will run thorton and hurt him in which case san jose's coach will get a clear message if you want to play that style of game then so be it .

The goaltending battles this year have been fantastic .....

1. " I don't think edmonton expected the physical game they got last night.........."

They should have been watching film, an agressive forecheck and backcheck has been their game all year! In addition, their "finesse" forwards are not one-dimensional, they can score and hit.

2. " .....we'll see big black george suit up next game and there will be a few warnings given out about hitting the finesse players or george will run thorton and hurt him......"

You had the nerve previously to post you knew hockey? Name one dirty hit last night. If your "finesse" players can't take the heat, they best stay out of the kitchen. San Jose can take it as much as dishing it out and do it with discipline. The Sharks were the third least penalized team in the regular season, obviously they are not out head hunting like "big black george."

Well M.E 262 ... I don't know hockey .. i olny played junior AAA for 3 years and then the dub for 2 before having career ending knee surgery , I played against Guys like mark messier in the late 70's when he was playing for St Albert Saints when i was playing for the Fost Saskatchewan Traders .. mark was nothing back then and i skated circles around him at will ... daddy was rich and bought marks way in , thats how things worked back then . Actually they still work that way .. just look at that no talent mike comery , daddy owns The Brick ( multi multi multi millionare ) daddy bought mikes way in as most junior " B " players have more talent then he does ..

What do i know ?? Well i have 16 coaching levels and i'm certified to coach from novice to junior " A " in all provinces of canada ... I've coached novice , atom , pee-wee , bantam , pee-wee AAA , Bantam AA , atom AAA , novice B , bantam B , girls ringette in 5 levels and run a summer hockey camp for underprivledge kids ..

But i don't know anything about hockey .. your the expert

Personaly i don't think edmonton stands a hope in hell of beating the sharks 4 games now to take this series .. but i don't know anything about hockey so don't take my word for it ...

Who besides you said anything about dirty hitting ?

You use what you have on your bench .. if i was mac t ... i'd be sending george out to pound the living crap out of anyone willing to drop the gloves , why ? is that the way to play hockey you ask ?? No not at all " but " thats what we have, so use it .. i'd have goerge out pounding faces till no one could see out there eyes any longer .. why ? Because that what we have so use it , make those player scared to touch the puck when he's on the ice in fear of getting steam rolled ... it's called intimidation and if i were mac t i'd use whats on his bench .. right or wrong you use what you have and we have george whos the best at what he does so use him for it .

For anyone who's ever stepped on the ice at a pro level knows players have roles .. some are goal scorers some run interference and some are hitters ... if you laced them up and layed an open ice hit on a player like gretsky your life expectacy would be less then the period your playing in .. thats the unwritten law on the ice . 6' 2" 240lb defenceman don't run 5'8" 185lb frorwards into the boards trying to bust there backs .

Personaly i think san jose is the better of the two teams .. edmonton not being prepared for the physical presence of san jose proves an error in coaching for starters .. " but " what do i know , certainly nothing about hockey , i'm just a guy who sits on the internet and takes other peoples comments out of context

Well M.E 262 ... I don't know hockey .. i olny played junior AAA for 3 years......... What do i know ?? Well i have 16 coaching levels and i'm certified to coach from novice to junior " A " in all provinces of canada ...

But i don't know anything about hockey .. your the expert

Who besides you said anything about dirty hitting ?

Personaly i think san jose is the better of the two teams .. edmonton not being prepared for the physical presence of san jose proves an error in coaching for starters .. " but " what do i know , certainly nothing about hockey , i'm just a guy who sits on the internet and takes other peoples comments out of context

Dale W.:

We can compare hockey playing and coaching resumes in private if you like. Besides it has nothing to do with our conversation.

Your original message and I paraphrase went something like "send him (LaRaque) out there to hurt Thornton." If you meant hurt as in with a good clean hit, no problem. Good clean hard hitting is an integral part of the game. If you meant hurt as in "Bertuzzi" him, shame on you and any of your coaching colleagues who teach that bush-league cheap-shot style of play. That style of play is what ruins this great game.

By the way, it looked like McClaren got the best of LaRaque. Did you see him all keeled over sucking some heavy wind on the bench after McClaren put a nice clean hip-check on him? You have to admit, Torres blind-sided dirty forearm chuck to Michalek's head was B.S..

I agree, San Jose will prevail, Edmonton is on a slippery slope (No Oiler pun intended)after last night. But what a game for a 2-1 score.

M.E.262: Two minutes/fighting, Five minute major, instigation.

Dale W: Two minutes/fighting, misconduct, retaliation.

LOL, you are correct and a good referee.

The great thing about hockey is the passion and intensity. After all of that, most gentlemen and good sports will turn it off after the battle and shake hands.

Dale W., my hand is extended.

The great thing about hockey is the passion and intensity. After all of that, most gentlemen and good sports will turn it off after the battle and shake hands.

No worries bro .... I think you may have got the wrong idea from my first remarks ... see what i said was " Mac T is old school so you'll likly see " then i gave an example that you took to heart as my meaning , not the example it was intended to show .

Mac T is from the old oiler days when gretsky was protected by Dave Semenko ( who btw is now a talent scout for the oilers ) and then marty mcsorley & jeff bookaboom and several other tough guys ..... Mac T still differenciates between tough guys and goal scores , it's a system not all teams can use as some are not made up in that manner .

We sat george on the first game because the caoching staff thought it was going to be a high flying fast skating wide open game .. not a checking fest ... bringing george in the second game did little as he's sat for so long his game legs are gone and heads not into the series ... here in lyes the problem of having a goon on your bench .

My seats are 8 rows up behind the players box so i'll hoist my glass of beer to you after the singing of your national anthyum at tonights game ... she's going to be a noisy one as any NHL commentator will tell you edmonton is the loudest building in the league

No worries bro .... I think you may have got the wrong idea from my first remarks ... see what i said was " Mac T is old school so you'll likly see " then i gave an example that you took to heart as my meaning , not the example it was intended to show .

Mac T is from the old oiler days when gretsky was protected by Dave Semenko ( who btw is now a talent scout for the oilers ) and then marty mcsorley & jeff bookaboom and several other tough guys ..... Mac T still differenciates between tough guys and goal scores , it's a system not all teams can use as some are not made up in that manner .

We sat george on the first game because the caoching staff thought it was going to be a high flying fast skating wide open game .. not a checking fest ... bringing george in the second game did little as he's sat for so long his game legs are gone and heads not into the series ... here in lyes the problem of having a goon on your bench .

My seats are 8 rows up behind the players box so i'll hoist my glass of beer to you after the singing of your national anthyum at tonights game ... she's going to be a noisy one as any NHL commentator will tell you edmonton is the loudest building in the league

Cheers to you also.

8th row, great seats! When I lived in Detroit (1990-2002) I had 4 seats, 7th row on the blue line. Nothing like live play-off hockey.

Speaking of national anthyum, I enjoy the "Monty" who does the anthyums in Ottowa. Who does it in Edmonton?