La Scala problem - please help!

chapin99

Laura,

J.4knee's post above is an important one. Those are the settings for the Squawker level. Notice the - and + columns and the numbers in each of those columns.

If you go to the "normal" setting you should have things pretty balanced out and then you can look in a different direction if the sound is still thin.

Those are awesome networks. However, that model "opens up" or achieves their optimal sound at the louder volumes. Once you get the squawker adjusted to your liking you should notice this. Not that it sounds poorly down low, but they were designed for listening closer to "live" levels. This is where you will find they are best.

Let us know if you are able to adjust the squawker correctly.

I think you also need to check to see all wires are in phase,,,that means + on crossover goes to + on woofer,squawker,tweeter...check all drivers.If you go to ALK site there is a schematic of your crossover and if i can understand it anybody can,,,lol.Also i see you got the spring type connectors on mid driver or squawker as we call it....push the spring thing in and pull wire out put back in to make sure you got good connection there.Hope we helped you on this ,let us know if you still feel something is wrong.Rick

Thanks! I didn't notice that. I couldn't be happier now about these La Scalas. Seems all is right with the world (assuming I don't blow another fuse). Listened at volume ranging from 1 to about 4 and a half (which is loud enough to hear in my neighbors backyard!) last night for about an hour and a half and still have appropriate bass and excellent quality sound. My quad of Edgar Winter Group was awesome now that the bass is back. Frankenstein is now stuck in my head, though I tried to get it out listening to Doobies and Loggins and Messina. Anyway, thanks for this pic!

Thanks Rick. This I think I can do. I hate to admit it, but I have no idea what that chart means and what I would use tool-wise to get the numbers right. Better leave well enough alone now that my sound is what I remember it to be. I sure thought I was going crazy or my ears were going or my system of vintage stuff was messed up. Now I have what I love and it's all good! I will check the phase stuff you mentioned and I do like to be sure the connections and stuff are good, so will do that. If anyone would care to give a quick lesson on what to do with the chart, I'd love to know for when I have time to tweak and play in the summer, but I understand if you don't want to waste the breath. I bet its difficult to just know this stuff and probably little desire to take a novice through. I feel the same way on the few things I've learned in quad. But, as we know - this site is wonderful. So, maybe it has already been addressed, but if not and someone did help, then the post would be a quick reference for other novices in the future. Again - thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Im glad you got your sound back.I like your music selection mabe we should trade music ideas....any way you also might think about changing to BEC tweeter its easy to change out. The chart is just the different selections you can use on the auto transformer if you look at schematic and at your crossover i think you can figure it out.In short when you use the different selections your turnning the squawker up or down like a volume control.But you can only use the selections with the 10ohm resistor if i have read ALKs instructions right but it does give you a good selection .Let us know if you need any help.Rick