Building the ultimate Cornwalls

My "dream cornwall" would be a 2-way design. Probably something like a 4" compression driver on a solid oak 2" throat tractrix style 90x40 constant directivity horn, covering 800-20kHz+ (the driver would have a natural roll-off as a reverse approach to natural CD EQ). For bass I would go with dual 15" woofers, partial horn (old altec style) bass reflex tuned to 30Hz (so covering 30 to 800Hz). Sensitivity should be held above 100dB.

A more reasonable approach would be a 3-way design: bi-radial tweeter, tractrix midrange with 2" throat and single or dual 15" woofer (depending on budget and size constraints).

You'll notice that most of the custom horns implented by guys on the forum tend to be 1.4" due to the K-55V being of that type. But because you aren't going that high in frequency with the squaker I would be more inclined to target a 2" throat - there are more drivers and horns available on the market.

You are full of contradictions here. A tractrix isn't a CD horn. Which do you want?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chops,

1) The K-33 wires to the oem terminal strip, then to the crossover in the top box. It doesn't run full-range.

2) Because of the height of Bob's squawker (10 5/8"), I would mount the tweeter vertically next to the squawker in a mirrored configuration.

3) the " CS II " crossover is Bob's version of a "B" crossover, modified to cross at 400 and 4500.

If I have attached the pic correctly, an artists rendition should follow. The oem tweeter and squawker are included for visual reference, but not used in the CS II. The total height is about 52", the same as the K-Horn.

Hey bhendrix, now I see what you're saying about the K33. Obviously, the output of my receiver goes directly into the new CS II network in the top box, then out of the network's "woofer" output to the terminal on the back of the CW where the K33 is wired directly to. Nifty!

Now I have to go find out from Bob how much those new horns are.

I'm assuming that I could just run them at the stock 600Hz for now, couldn't I? Atleast until I can scroung up the money for the CS II networks as well.

I'm also assuming that if and when I build those top boxes, I could make small risers for them that angle them down towards my listening position.

chops,

You could have Bob update your B crossovers to convertible CSII's. By changing a couple of wires, you can move from B to CS and back. That would make the project less expensive and give you new caps, too, if you haven't already done that.

Bob's squawker horns are very affordable. Since you already have the CT125's, I would expect you could do the whole mod, with wood purchase for the top, for under $200 for the pair.

Wow, Great input everyone! I'm not at all stuck on using the stock Cornwall cabinet. I only have one and it is in storage in my warehouse down in Torrance,CA (I'm now in Portland, OR).

Bob- Can you give me a detail list on the parts you put forth on your posted pic. Are those eminence 15" woofers, I assume your 125 tweeter, and what ebout the mid section who's driver etc. Also can you make a recomendation for a network for that combo. Please shoot me over some pricing it looks like a great setup! I really want to get going on this.

JC- Wow! I really like the look of your latest cornwall incarnation. I would really like to build something like that. I think I would use Bob's components he layed out in tht pic. If you were to rebuild a pair, are there any cabinet changes you would make? Congradulations on all your hardwork, you're really an inspiration! Keep up the awsome work.

Bhendrix- I like the layout, kind of a CornBelle.

I also like the idea of using the trachorn from Al K. al little pricey though for a first time build.

Wow, Great input everyone! I'm not at all stuck on using the stock Cornwall cabinet. I only have one and it is in storage in my warehouse down in Torrance,CA (I'm now in Portland, OR).

Bob- Can you give me a detail list on the parts you put forth on your posted pic. Are those eminence 15" woofers, I assume your 125 tweeter, and what ebout the mid section who's driver etc. Also can you make a recomendation for a network for that combo. Please shoot me over some pricing it looks like a great setup! I really want to get going on this.

JC- Wow! I really like the look of your latest cornwall incarnation. I would really like to build something like that. I think I would use Bob's components he layed out in tht pic. If you were to rebuild a pair, are there any cabinet changes you would make? Congradulations on all your hardwork, you're really an inspiration! Keep up the awsome work.

Bhendrix- I like the layout, kind of a CornBelle.

I also like the idea of using the trachorn from Al K. al little pricey though for a first time build.

Hey eglivincent, sorry I don't have much to add to this thread, as I'm kind of in the same boat as you right now.

I'm looking for ways of improving my CWs sound withouth going through the whole effort of building from the ground up, but also to keep from making permanent alterations to the CWs, so they can be fully restored back to their original state if so desired.

BTW Bob, I just sent you another PM! [:D]

Eglivincent.

The woofer is my replacement for the K-33E that I have had made. It is the CW1526.

The midrange driver is the Atlas PD-5VH (same as the Klipsch K-55V)

The tweeter is my CT125.

The midrange horn is the Pyle Pro PH2380P.

You can email me for pricing information if you want.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@centurytel.net

Charles,

The horn seems to go to 400 all right. I doubt that Pyle ever tested it lower than 500 hz since there are so few drivers that will go that low. The K-55 is one and there aren't any more 1 inch drivers that go that low as far as I know.

Bill,

The CW1526 is almost ideal for the Cornwall cabinet at around 6 cu. ft and with its porting. JC has worked out another volume with different porting for his tall Corns.

Bob

Charles,

The horn seems to go to 400 all right. I doubt that Pyle ever tested it lower than 500 hz since there are so few drivers that will go that low. The K-55 is one and there aren't any more 1 inch drivers that go that low as far as I know.

Bob

Ah, I see. Thanks Bob.

BTW, I just order myself a pair!

Has anyone ever noticed that modding Heritage Klipsch's is like eating Pringles? LOL [<:o)]

I see no reason to change anything on the TallCorns so far. I like the looks and my wife like them better than anything I've built so far.

If you read that thread, I did build the cabinet to accomidate Bob's horn. If I did, it would be a Tall Cornscala2 instead of a TallCorn.

By the end of this week, I will have the TallCorns completed except for the grills.

Several people have done what has been mentioned above by using the Cornwall cabinet as a bass bin and placing an Altec 511B and a tweeter on top. This should work. Your midhorn will be far away from the woofer. You will also have a tall cabinet that is wide and shallow. If you have a cabinet already...try this first and just sit the mid harn and tweeter on top to see if you like it.

jc

I see no reason to change anything on the TallCorns so far. I like the looks and my wife like them better than anything I've built so far.

If you read that thread, I did build the cabinet to accomidate Bob's horn. If I did, it would be a Tall Cornscala2 instead of a TallCorn.

By the end of this week, I will have the TallCorns completed except for the grills.

Several people have done what has been mentioned above by using the Cornwall cabinet as a bass bin and placing an Altec 511B and a tweeter on top. This should work. Your midhorn will be far away from the woofer. You will also have a tall cabinet that is wide and shallow. If you have a cabinet already...try this first and just sit the mid harn and tweeter on top to see if you like it.

jc

jc,

Where do you recommend placing the tweeter; above, below, or to the side of Bob's midhorn on top of the stock CW cabinet?

Just an FYI... My listening seat is rather low I guess compared to others here. When I'm seated, my ears are exactly even with the tweeters, and yes, my CWs have to stock risers.

BTW, I now have 3uF caps coming from Bob for the squawkers 400Hz mod!

Can you guys tell I'm having fun yet?! LOL [:P]

Chops

I don't know the answer for the arrangement of the top horns and drivers.

I would just move them around a bit and try out different things. I do like the side by side option and placing the tweeter vertical. Bob's midhorn is just under 18 inches in width and the tweeter vertical has a very small width. With this you could do very little for a top cabinet and just make a motorboard/baffle with the mid horn and tweeter. Just mount the motor board onto a bottom riser and have a pair of hinges between the two boards. An advantage of doing this is that you can adjust the horns to you sitting position.

One other thing to TRY is to flip the Cornwall cabinet upside down to get the woofer closer to the midhorn. This is again just to try.

Where in the heck is Terry (IBSlammin) on this thread. Man this is right up his alley. He has been barkin this setup forever. He has a 511 horn on sitting on top with a K77 above it in a horizontal mount.

jc

jc,

I was actually thinking about the same thing... flipping the CWs over so the woofer is closer to the midhorn. But then again, look at the Khorn. The woofer is just about the same distance away, isn't it? And being that the sound is actually coming from the rear of the Khorn... right?

Also, I was just admiring Terry's avatar earlier today when I saw him post in the "4500Hz" thread (I think). I PM'ed him about that avatar and if he had any other pics, but I haven't heard anything back from him yet. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the tips jc!

Charles

My nickel's worth of input:

I have successfully "remanufactured" Cornwall cabinets and veneered them in walnut. I JUST did the swap-over on one of these a few days back, and am listening now. These cabinets use 7 layer MDO plywood, and foam on the insides of the box; structurally they are identical to the originals, and were cut on a CNC.

Crossover-wise, I am using a "Dean type" B replacement, that I assembled and built on my K-stack PCB's. They sound quite good, though I also have the parts to build Al's network, but have not yet done so (and want to hear what they do)!!!

I understand the availability of Bob's tweeters, and am considering these as well. I would say at this point I am very much "on the way" to building ultimate Cornwalls.

Chris

Hey Vincent:

Write me offline and let's chat. Maybe I can cut you panels and you can assemble them as a kit and then veneer them. OTOH, I could build you a pair at a reasonable price. I do not have CAD data "proper" (meaning in ACAD format), these were drawn in "BobCAD", which is the machine language written to drive the CNC, so I am not sure you can use it.

Let me know how I can help.

Chris

You are full of contradictions here. A tractrix isn't a CD horn. Which do you want?

Contradictions? You can so totally have a constant directivity horn with a tractrix flare rate - I'm building one right now [:)]

CD refers to it having a flat polar response and tractrix refers to the

waveguide always being perpendicular to the direction of sound.