OT: Pulled the Trigger

SCOOTERDOG

Well today I pulled the trigger and picked up the F250 Super duty crew cab with that fire breathing 7.3 Turbo Diesel. Althought not brand new this 2002 looks as if it just rolled out of the showroom. And I picked this bad boy up for less than 21k out the door. The great thing is the milage it gets compared to my old 99 dodge ram. My ram got 11 in the city and about 14 on the road. this one should pull 20 on the hwy and 15 in town. So I get improved mileage plus the power to smoke the tires if I wanted to, or pull a tree stump out of the ground. I'm so happy!!![ip]

scooter

NICE!!!, I love F250/350's, nothing like a diesel.

Right now I'm looking at getting myself a 2001 or so, Toyota Tacoma 4x4, Extended Cab, Short Bed, V6, 5-Speed. overseas Toyota pickups come with optional diesel, I sure wish thoes were available here. the US needs more diesel vehicles.

Right now I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L torque monster I-6, 4x4, auto. The thing gets such horrible gas mileage, 15/18 is about what I get. the V6 Tacoma gets 19/24 with the 5-speed

From what I've been seeing, I think I can get the 2001 Tacoma with the options i've listed above for around $14k with pretty low miles.

Here is a 2000, features I want, but that one is 2WD, I dont think there is any difference visually.

010335-E.jpg

• Moderators

Very nice truck i would love to have something like that to pull my trailers around with. We now use a chevy 2500 but it is much older, 89 but it does have about 40,000 miles on it that helps.

But that engine you have would make It pull like a 3500 / 1 ton.

NICE!!!, I love F250/350's, nothing like a diesel.

Right now I'm looking at getting myself a 2001 or so, Toyota Tacoma 4x4, Extended Cab, Short Bed, V6, 5-Speed. overseas Toyota pickups come with optional diesel, I sure wish thoes were available here. the US needs more diesel vehicles.

Right now I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0L torque monster I-6, 4x4, auto. The thing gets such horrible gas mileage, 15/18 is about what I get. the V6 Tacoma gets 19/24 with the 5-speed

From what I've been seeing, I think I can get the 2001 Tacoma with the options i've listed above for around $14k with pretty low miles.

Here is a 2000, features I want, but that one is 2WD, I dont think there is any difference visually.

010335-E.jpg

toyota will not bring diesel to the market because then they cannot say all their cars are ultra low emissions autos......diesel being inherantly dirty in america will not allow for that. Umm its time for Americans to demand the same diesel grade fuels that europe has been using, cleaner burns with less diesel odors (just remove the sulfur guys). We infact use the same grade of diesels as the trucks and trains and even some ships use. Diesel is comparable in mileage to the hybrids but without the hybrid costs and funky looks

Also btw great looking truck, I hope you get a lot of memorable miles. 16.3 mph in city is crazy btw!

Scooter,

Run on down to the Ford dealer and pick up a bottle of FW-15 coolant additive. Your engine has such high compression that microscopic bubbles form on the outsides of the cylinder walls, and little holes can actually form from what they call "cavitation erosion".

Navistar puts this additive in the cooling system filter on their T444E, but you don't have one of these filters on a Ford. I used to dump in a bottle every 15K miles, after being told by a diesel mechanic that this is something to watch out for with these engines.

- Jeff

• Moderators

Nice truck Scooter. Congratulations.

Did you ever make a decision on the camper? I may have missed the answer in another thread.

Elden and I pulled a "bumper pull" camper from Louisiana to the Smoky Mountains. That was more like work than a vacation.

I would like to say...I also drive our truck. I have pulled our 20' "fifth wheel", as well as our 16' "bumper pull". I have pulled each trailer on numerous occasions. My vote, the "fifth wheel", hands down. There is no comparison. The ability to maneuver when pulling a "fifth wheel" is unbeatable. I can turn the "fifth wheel" around in a relatively small space compared to the "bumper pull".

The weight distribution provides much more stability. Usually, whichever trailer I pull is fully loaded, upon my return with balled and burlapped trees and plants. This plant material is usually stacked about three foot high and covers the length of the trailer. (We have 2' treated plywood sides on each trailer, with a tarp). These trips for plant material usually take about eight to ten hours round trip. The difference between the two trailers is unbelievable.

They also have a "fold out version" of the fifth wheel ball available.

Again, congratulations and I hope you enjoy "pulling those stumps".[;)]