When you least expect something...

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Dtel and I went to our irrigation supply wholesaler the other day. We have made numerous "in store" purchases from this company. While standing at the counter Dtel looked up and starting poking my shoulder saying "look at that, look at that". He was so excited.

I looked up to see what he was so excited about. It was a pair of Klipsch speakers! They appeared to be Fortes or Forte II's.

Dtel asked our sales rep if the speakers were for sale. The rep informed us they belonged to the manager. Dtel then asked the manager if he wanted to sell them. The manager told us no because one of his customers gave him those speakers and a reciever. Dtel told him he would give him $500.00 if they were the kind we were looking for.(Forte II's) The manager immediately said, "For $500.00, they are for sale." It was really funny.

Dtel, who is 6'3", drags the 12' foot ladder up to the speakers. He could barely reach them. He tried to see the sticker on the back of the speaker, but manuevering the speaker on the 12" ladder proved to be a little difficult. Dtel believes they may be Fortes and not Forte II's.

We are considering telling the manager they are not the exact speakers we were looking for and offering a lower price.

The last thing either of us expected to see in the wholesalers Klipsch speakers in the irrigation supply wholesaler's establishment.

DW - Not sure why you're seeking FII's specifically, but if you already have a set you'll notice how the rear PR extends almost to the cabinet edge. On the FI, there is probably about 2" of space, since it is only 12" versus the FII's 15" PR. That may be an easy way to tell which version they are.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I had to revive this thread...About two weeks ago we went to the irrigation supply company again.

While finalizing our purchase I mentioned to the manager that owned the (walnut oiled) Forte I's that I was actually looking for Forte II's and the pair in the store was Forte I's. I then offered him $300.00 if he still wanted to sell them. [;)]

He said he thought he had another pair of speakers in his attic and if he did he would sell them.

Today, I called the manager and asked if he had decided to sell the speakers. I told him dtel would drive the hour and half and bring him cash right them. He said, "Tell him to come get 'em".[:o]

Dtel got in the car and left immediately, with the biggest smile on his face, (Almost as big as the smile he had on Bourbon Street).[:D]

Three hours later he was home, with three of the Forte IIs hooked up as front speakers and the Forte I's as rears. I was surprised by the difference it actually made.

I think all and in all we got a pretty good deal.[H]