What's a good subwoofer for 300-400?

dakayus

Well what I'm trying to do right now is get a pair of RF-3's or RF-35's depending on what deals I can get. I honestly don't know anything about home audio so I'm just starting to get into it. Although this sounds kind of ghetto, I'm planning on buying the front right and left and keep it on 2.1 mode until I eventually have the money to buy the other speakers. I was looking into something like the infinity ps-12. I don't know how good it is, I just need something that works pretty decent. I'm running on the promedia 5.1 ultras and it's about time I outgrew them.

Try an SVS PB-10 I guess. Unless you're comfortable getting used subs, this will probably be a very good sub... and it should be able to keep up with RF-3s at moderate listening levels.

P.S. Getting a 2.1 as a gateway to more is not ghetto - it's what most people do, unless they've been able to dedicate a large sum to buy everything at once.

P.P.S. If you're within 4-5 hours of the NYC area, my RF-3IIs are for sale.

Here's a decent 250w, 10" kit(free ship) that takes about an hour to assemble. A friend has the 12", and it made me regret spending $1100 on a Velodyne.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-760

Yea give it a shot for parts express sub, compare to other brand they are not top notch but the price they are unbeatable.

SVS does make good sub, but the price is simply out of the range of 300-400. Even 10ISD would be 500+ unless you pick up locally.

I built the dayton titanic III 15" from PE. It is completely excellent. It has substantial output into the upper teens at least.

My next sub will be a VMPS larger sub with 1000w amp. That thing is unholy.

Someone here is selling a paradigm servo 15 for $450... well worth it!

True, they may not be at the top of the heap, but they're no slouches either. With a little tweaking (foam, location and levels) one can get some pretty tight bass out of it. Of course, the larger the room, the larger sub will be neccessary, but for the average (12x20) listening room the Titanic 10 is an excellent choice.

For $300-$400 the RF-3II's or 35's are totally going to spank any

subwoofer you might find...both in output and extension (four 8"

woofers displace much more air than a single 15" let alone a 12"). I

would highly recommend giving them a listen before you go about buying

a sub....and then you will want to give the subwoofers a demo too.

It's been a long time since I've heard the 3-II's, but they fricken shook the house down with only 50watts of power.

The Titanic subs are nice, but you can get way more performance out of

them by going with a larger ported cabinet (and it's not going to cost

you that much more). That is if you can fit a bigger box [;)]

Every once in a while the klipsch sub-12 drops down to around $430 at

Best Buy...I think that would be one of your better options...even if

it means postponing the purchase and saving up for a bit longer.

I am a Sunfire Dealer and have available now for the first time, Sunfire's new "D" Series Subwoofers. The D-8 Sub features a 1000 watt internal amp, Single 8" driver- long throw, high back -EMF design. It can rock a mid-size room big time. This has a list of $649, I can sell it to you delivered for $489. shipping weight is 40 lbs. Comes complete with Sunfires rock solid warranty.

Greg

G.E. Technology, Inc.

510-595-2278