For those attending the gathering at my house in Central Florida

Mike Lindsey

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

My trusty little compact pick-up didnt boil over (after 148K and a handful of hurricane evacuations, it has nothing wrong with it and is used to painful slow traveling in hot weather), but I sure did!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

After the parking lot on highway 417, came tollbooths every 1.5 miles, plus the coin only bins couldnt recognize my coins (handful of dimes). This made me so mad I asked for a drink (a real one) as soon as I got in the door. Fortunately, Mike is a connoisseur of refined sensibilities. He had not only gin & tonic ready and waiting on the counter, but it was also Tanqueray. I unbent not long afterwards with a double, plus two delicious hamburgers with cheese, served Alfresco by fountain in the courtyard.

You missed a wonderful day of music and machine (we all had to admire Mikes teal-blue racing Vette). I think it puts out 5Hz at 120db at 1 meter, measured perpendicular to the tail pipe. Mike should be able to give you a better idea of its sub-woofer function because somebody left him a RS digital SPL meter. [;)]

Real sorry to hear about everyone's traffic woes. How many of you folks ended up getting together? What equipment did you listen to, what did folks bring? Any photos?

Travis

This trip was not only a wonderful listening and friendship experience for me. It was ahead turning, mind set altering event. Mikes ad hoc assemblage of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Orlando chapter of music, wine, Vettes and all things sensitive men admit connoisseurs at his Italian piazza was an enjoyable day. Attendees of upcoming pilgrimages are going to have fun and their ears are going to learn something. I know I did. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Mikes set-up is beautiful: traditional 5.1 front-end feeding into big ole horn mains and a SVS tube sub, which switches over to a classic TT, tube system off the same modified LaScalas (large Altec 551B horns with superb ALK crossovers). His home movie and music reproduction system equals the few excellent classic Klipsch Khorn loudspeakers Ive heard.

We listened to Biblical Gospel Singers, Al Di Meola, Thelma Huston, Dusty Springfield, The Damned, Elvis, k.d. lang, Joan Armatrading, Dave Grusin, Shirley Horn, Rebecca Pidgin, DMP, Putumayo, Rickie Lee Jones and Diana Krall.

Although we switched from TT to Panasonic RP91 DVD/CD player, the only real comparisons were between his NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks, my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour SET monoblocks and my Red Wine Clari class T digital amplifiers. The clear and obvious winners were the VRDs.

My upgraded kits are a fourth of the deal that Klipsch forum members get on the price of the NOSvalve tube amplifiers. Although the Paramours are a little smaller, they look very much like NOSvalves monoblocks. Except that his transformers tower over mine like Andre the giant next to Mini-Me. The 2A3s did not exhibit the vaulted sweetness or imaging they are known for. Yet many other sonic characteristics were the same. Quite noticeable however, was the VRDs amazing (for a tube amp) control of the bass.

The NOSvalves growled, and banged and slammed. I asked Mike if the SVS was on. I even double-checked myself. I never heard bass so low from my LaScalas, not even when they were driven by the amazingly beefy and wonderful sounding Delta Studio 6s33s ($6K)! I don[t think I heard bass that good from the ASL AQ1003DT either, although that was entirely different sprkrs and set-up. Although not the couch-deep thump of the deepest solid-state bass, there was more low bass than I ever would suspect from the LaScalas specs. Music did not sound the same. Mike would announce a track (he played DJ and on-his-feet-serving-guests host). And I would ask if this was the same track, they were so different in definition.

I admit it. And you read it here first. Hearing is believing. Evidence suspends disbelief. Music lovers with big ole horns and NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks can get away without a sub-woofer.

The NOSvalve amplifiers seem to run cool. An afternoons work did not seem to make them any hotter. I bet the tubes last a good long time. Except for some treble harshness, probably caused by the closeness of the undampened back and side walls, and unnoticed by our host due to his loss of upper end hearing - racing Vettes dear Mike, is hard on the ears there were no obvert clues that either choir or piano records were recorded! It wasnt Memorex, it was live.

The KT88s do not measure as powerful as the 6s33s, but they were and they are fast. I think I would have to hear a OTL amplifier to best the speed of the NOSvalve monoblocks. Leading edge transients are some of the best Ive heard. Even though this was not a critical audition, in my own home, on my own equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, these are the best tube amplifiers I have heard on big ole horns.

[:D]

Great impromptu review, Colin.

Damn, I hate traffic. I can totally understand folks' frustration with burning time and gas and tolls and doing NOTHING. I'm sure Mike didn't take it personally. It just comes with the real estate.

The VRD's sound pretty special. I was with a good friend this weekend (he was visiting with his fiance). He's an addicted Bose lover and he wandered up into the apartment over the garage with the Cornwalls and JFL Hori. It was a few hours before he reappeared. Damn, he was in love. He said he'd never heard sound like that. I did remind him that he heard the same amps with Klipschorns in the living room of my old house, but I think the Cornwall "slam" got him.

There can be great sound from tube amps.

Chris

I didn't have any worries about my car overheating, I just got sick of getting nowhere fast.

Plus the fact after I just filled up my tank for $36, I sure as heck wasn't going to spend another $30+ on stinking tolls. If I knew that from the beginning, I would have never thought about going in the first place.

And besides, I still had a great day, spending the rest of the afternoon in front of my stereo. So the entire day wasn't shot all to heck.

I'm terribly sorry that you had to wait in traffic, as I hate that as well.

I believe the total tolls on 417 all the way to my exit is about $6, and that is why I also suggested taking I-4 to 408, and then to 417, as that is actually faster and cheaper, but just not quite as convenient as 417 all the way. I would like to think that $10 would not have stopped you from coming in the first place, since I shucked out over $50 for the food and drink.

Regardless, we'll do it again some time, maybe at your house next time.

Mike

This trip was not only a wonderful listening and friendship experience for me. It was ahead turning, mind set altering event. Mikes ad hoc assemblage of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Orlando chapter of music, wine, Vettes and all things sensitive men admit connoisseurs at his Italian piazza was an enjoyable day. Attendees of upcoming pilgrimages are going to have fun and their ears are going to learn something. I know I did. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Mikes set-up is beautiful: traditional 5.1 front-end feeding into big ole horn mains and a SVS tube sub, which switches over to a classic TT, tube system off the same modified LaScalas (large Altec 551B horns with superb ALK crossovers). His home movie and music reproduction system equals the few excellent classic Klipsch Khorn loudspeakers Ive heard.

We listened to Biblical Gospel Singers, Al Di Meola, Thelma Huston, Dusty Springfield, The Damned, Elvis, k.d. lang, Joan Armatrading, Dave Grusin, Shirley Horn, Rebecca Pidgin, DMP, Putumayo, Rickie Lee Jones and Diana Krall.

Although we switched from TT to Panasonic RP91 DVD/CD player, the only real comparisons were between his NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks, my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour SET monoblocks and my Red Wine Clari class T digital amplifiers. The clear and obvious winners were the VRDs.

My upgraded kits are a fourth of the deal that Klipsch forum members get on the price of the NOSvalve tube amplifiers. Although the Paramours are a little smaller, they look very much like NOSvalves monoblocks. Except that his transformers tower over mine like Andre the giant next to Mini-Me. The 2A3s did not exhibit the vaulted sweetness or imaging they are known for. Yet many other sonic characteristics were the same. Quite noticeable however, was the VRDs amazing (for a tube amp) control of the bass.

The NOSvalves growled, and banged and slammed. I asked Mike if the SVS was on. I even double-checked myself. I never heard bass so low from my LaScalas, not even when they were driven by the amazingly beefy and wonderful sounding Delta Studio 6s33s ($6K)! I don[t think I heard bass that good from the ASL AQ1003DT either, although that was entirely different sprkrs and set-up. Although not the couch-deep thump of the deepest solid-state bass, there was more low bass than I ever would suspect from the LaScalas specs. Music did not sound the same. Mike would announce a track (he played DJ and on-his-feet-serving-guests host). And I would ask if this was the same track, they were so different in definition.

I admit it. And you read it here first. Hearing is believing. Evidence suspends disbelief. Music lovers with big ole horns and NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks can get away without a sub-woofer.

The NOSvalve amplifiers seem to run cool. An afternoons work did not seem to make them any hotter. I bet the tubes last a good long time. Except for some treble harshness, probably caused by the closeness of the undampened back and side walls, and unnoticed by our host due to his loss of upper end hearing - racing Vettes dear Mike, is hard on the ears there were no obvert clues that either choir or piano records were recorded! It wasnt Memorex, it was live.

The KT88s do not measure as powerful as the 6s33s, but they were and they are fast. I think I would have to hear a OTL amplifier to best the speed of the NOSvalve monoblocks. Leading edge transients are some of the best Ive heard. Even though this was not a critical audition, in my own home, on my own equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, these are the best tube amplifiers I have heard on big ole horns.

[:D]

Colin, it was a real pleasure getting with you again. To be honest, I think Colin left his house around 10:30 in the morning, and didn't arrive at my house until 2 in the afternoon, so I would imagine he sat in that traffic for the better part of 90 minutes.

Just as he got there we were getting ready to eat, so I told him to grab a seat on the bench. The first words out of his mouth were "I need a drink!" [:D] Since this is hot Florida, I just happened to have some Tanqueray sitting on the counter (my preferred liquor 10 months out of the year), and proceeded to fix him a couple of double T and T's.

After the meal, we went back inside and enjoyed 3 more hours of music, most of it on the TT. We alternated listening to each others albums and CD's, getting a taste of what each person likes. The Gospel album we listened to was The Biblical Gospel Singers (Going Home) on M&K records, and it sounded fantastic! I liked it so much I'm gonna find it myself. Same with the Elvis (3Volume3) on Golden Records (RCA BMG 07863674641)... the best Elvis recording I have ever heard. The Thelma Houston track we played also just blew me away. It's a real party song and can kick it up a notch when played. I'll get the title from Don and and will update the thread.

Around 6:30 or so everybody went home except Colin, who stayed the night. We listened to his digital amp (I was not impressed) and his 2A3 Paramours (I was impressed) for a little while, before skipping out and grabbing some dinner. We returned at 9:30, listening to the 2A3's for another hour os so, and then switched over to the 5.1 system (Denon 4800, Acurus A200X3, Panasonic RP91, Outlaw ICBM, Samson S700, La Scala mains, KLF-C7, Chorus rears, SVS 20-39 CSi).

With this setup I played him some cuts off the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD (DTS), Roger Waters "In the Flesh - Live" DVD (Dolby 5.1) and James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theater" DVD (Dolby 5.1). Colin seemed to enjoy this format quite a bit (as I do), and we were playing them at near concert levels (100 db). When 12:30 rolled around it was time to go to bed, as I had to get up at 6:30 to play golf today.

All-in-all it was a great day. It would have been nice to see Chops and his brother there, but hopefully there will be another day. The only real disappointment of the day was Richard's Naim CD player (I will get the model from him). I believe it runs around $2300 and was hooked to a $1900 PS. For some reason, only one channel was working, but you could tell it was night and day over my Panasonic DVD player for CD source. Very detailed, and less grainy. I still feel I heard enough to know I'll be upgrading when I have the money.

Mike

My remarks are not impromptu. I took notes. Only way I can remember anything. What was I saying?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Oh yeah, the listening levels on the RS digital SPL meter were mid 90s as measured in slow, C scale for the music portion.

I contributed 3 bottles of wine (damn, never got to sample the Australian Shiraz!). I stopped off at girlfriends before departure, Waffle House (darn they are fast!) and gas station during the trip.

The Niam CD was clearly a quality piece, even if we only heard one channel briefly. The power supply (PS) weighs 20 pounds. I understand the entire component front-end shares one PS (great idea!).

OK, maybe the custom painted Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks dont look so much like the NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks. Except both sets of amplifiers dont look like anything else in Mikes macho stack of slim black digital units. If the Naim PS felt heavy, the NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks are immovably massive! The Clari Ts are in the middle. (Hey Mikey, maybe if we put the tubes in the Paramours, we wouldve had more bass!)

The TV trays are my own unique brand of special, portable, bring them at the last minute to any audiophile gathering, speaker stands made of the rarest American pine. I am going to market them to high-end audiophiles who pay $10,000 for bright horns made of resin. I am trying to trade 7 of them for a pair of NOSvalve monoblocks.

The Blueberry actually looks much better in real life. It has a subtle gray front and a stocky (watch this guys, Im going to hit it over the fence) appearance. With all of the vinyl (12 black analogue recording discs from the '50s) lovers in the room, NOT <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />ONE mentioned anything negative or contrary about the Blueberry.

The Elvis album was fantastic. Long before I worked front-stage security for him (once), he had a voice of golden richness, velvety Blue Label smoothness and oh-so-boyish delicacy.

I immediately bi-amped my classic Klipsch Khorn loudspeakers in the way Ive been told not to: I ran the Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks (6-watts max.) to the upper crossovers (from 600Hz) and the vintage Pioneer 48-pound class A M-22 (think low powered Threshold or Pass at 60-watts max.) to the bass bin.

Only low volume listening so far, but the results are startlingly amazing. The bass has heft, depth, definition and power. The couch vibrates. Sonic effects like blocks really knock. A lot like the NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks.

I am not glowering at the camera. I am listening to a cone lover describe the horn sound (hey, is that a bug bite on my arm?)!!!! What was I saying?

[8-|]

There's a lot of get-togethers these days. First Midwest at JMaltokey's, then you FL guys, the IN/KY foursome, now I understand that a bunch from TX will be getting together.

I always enjoy reading the write ups of equipment and music listening and tales of comradarie! It is truly a Brotherhood!

Be looking for an Indy event soon. Who and I are talking about getting the Chicago crowd and Ohio and KY guys all together here. BSbutton's been here a couple times but never gotten to listen much. We could put one pair of about every Heritage in the main room and ...

Michael

There's a lot of get-togethers these days. First Midwest at JMaltokey's, then you FL guys, the IN/KY foursome, now I understand that a bunch from TX will be getting together.

Don't forget the mid-May fest hosted by Boomac and JMalotky!