rplace

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment it hit 4:20 today, a friend and I went into our local "pharmacy" to celebrate with the rest of the legal patients. Discounts off all house J's! Never heard of 7:14 though? How did that come about?

Of course I am posting this for historical interest only...

Culled from several web pages.

Methaqualone (Quaaludes) was a prescribed muscle relaxer that was HEAVILY abused in the mid 70's.

They were made by Lemmon (714 on pill), but also by Rohrer (714 on pill).

Take 2 and a couple beers and you'd be sloppy, friendly and touchy.

Quaaludes are a C1 and almost impossible to obtain now; would be considered in the "recreational" category of medications in the 60s and 70s

History

Methaqualone (Quaalude, Sopor) was first synthesised in India in 1955 by M.L.Gujral and was soon introduced to Japanese and European consumers as a safe barbiturate substitute.

But experience has shown that its excessive use leads to tolerance, dependence and withdrawal symptoms similar to those of barbiturates.

By 1965 it was the most commonly prescribed sedative in Britain.

In England, it has been sold legally under the names Malsed, Malsedin, and Renoval. In 1965 Methaqualone and an antihistamine combination were sold as the sedative drug Mandrax by Rousell Laboratories.

At about the same time (1965) it was starting to become a popular recreational drug named mandies or mandrake.

In 1972 it was the sixth best selling sedative on the market in the United States, where it was legally sold by the name of Quaalude, and luding out, was a popular college pastime.

Because of its alleged aphrodisiac and euphoric qualities it was known as the love drug at that time (the 70s).

It has been used as a hypnotic in the short term management of insomnia and as a sedative but has been withdrawn from the market due to problems with abuse.

In the United States, the marketing of methaqualone pharmaceutical products stopped in 1984 and methaqualone was transferred to Schedule I of the CSA making it an illegal substance in USA as well as a number of other countries.

In general, Qualudes are very similar to alcohol and other depressants. Methaqualone combines both sedative and hypnotic properties. The drug produces depression of the central nervous system (a reduction in the heart and breathing rate and blood pressure) and the onset of its effects usually occurs within 10 to 20 minutes of ingestion and may last 6 to 10 hours when taken orally.

Small doses create a feeling of euphoria, relaxation, hornyness, and/or sleepiness. Larger doses can bring about depression, irrational behavior, poor reflexes and slurred speech.

Negative effects can include a high level of tolerance (you need more to produce the same feeling), reduced heart rate, reduced respiration, and reduced muscular coordination.

Some street names it has been sold as are Disco Biscuits, Down And Dirtys, Joe Fridays, Lemmon 714, Lemons, Lennons, Lovers, Ludes, Mandies, Mandrake, Q, qua, quaa, quack, Quad, Qualudes, Soaper, Supper, Vitamin Q, The Love Drug, Wallbangers, and on and on and on...

Overdose by methaqualone is more difficult to treat than barbiturate overdose, and deaths have occurred. Overdose death is usually due to lung, liver, kidney, or heart failure.

420 is the police code for what is know as a H&S(heath an saftey

code)violation(marijuana/ hashish)some say it's a myth, but in Cali you

hear it all the time on the scanner "420 H&S" but the best

one is "lethal intervention authorized by trained personal"(bang bang

your dead) edit: colter every flop pad has a scanner in it

that is always what my school newspaper said it originated. Also it was on answer.com I think is where they sited their source

714's were majorly popular when I was in "high" shcool. Eat em or smoke em. Either way, I heard they were a lot of fun.[;)]

Never heard of the 420 thing though. Guess I'm an old fart now. Not even interested enough to check out the link.[8-|]

• 11 months later...