Will I be happy with a Velodyne F-1500R servo subwoofer

fanbrain

I'm considering purchasing one, but I'm not familiar with Velodynes offerings. I know how the servo control works, but I'm wondering how they perform. Any help is appreciated.

The subs I've been looking at are as follows: RW12, SVS 16-46+, sub-12, PB12-ISD/V and PB10-ISD.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BobG

A friend with the RF-7 system uses dual F-1500s. They work well in his sytem where he couldn't use RSW subs as he needed to build them into a wall. The front firing design of the Velodyne works in his setup. He found that a single F-1500 was not enough to keep up with his RF-7s. Generally speaking, servo controlled subs give up a bit of output in exchange for reduced distortion.

I thought the F-1500s sounded very nice on music and a bit underwhelming on big movie sound effects.

Wow. That took a while to get a response. Luckily, mine arrived yesterday. I went from a lousy Sony sub (maybe an 8" or two inside) to no sub (sold the Sony) to the F-1500R. The same day the sub arrived I bought an SPL meter and calibrated my system (except the sub; I don't have a test disk). The difference is phenominal. Not only because the speakers now blend seamlessly with each other, but the bass output I gained from actually having a subwoofer (a servo controlled one no less) made all the difference in the world. It's like I have a new system! I think I will be very happy with this sub. Now I wish I didn't live in an apartment complex so I could test the real output capabilites.

My main speakers are Klipsch KSF 10.5 w/ KSF C5 center generic sony surrounds and a Harman/Kardon AVR 135. I think it will keep up ;-)

I played a 40hz test tone at moderate volume and it literally made the room shake. You should hear what it does with organ music.

I thought the F-1500s sounded very nice on music and a bit underwhelming on big movie sound effects.

He must not have had them dialed in because mine are more than impressive for movies, they sound smooth, clean and low for music playback. No need for bass shakers they literally make the heavy sleeper sofa feel like it is shifting, and can blur your vision and the volume is set between 3 - 4. Crossed over at 80Hz. The opening scene for Toy Story 2 (new edition) in DTS ES is very impressive, and watching "The Incredibles" is like being on a ride at Six Flags!

Then again I have 4 Klipschorn's set to large helping out. [:D]

I was running 3 of them, but two was sufficient so I sold one to Fanbrain and I am glad that he is pleased with its performance.

This one heck of an upgrade,from a small boomy Sony to a servo Velo! Dial the velo well and prepare for real sub bass quality.

One F-1500R should be plenty in most cases leave the very loud,very deep in a very large room.

Congrats

• 3 years later...

I hope your still enjoying you Velodyne F1500R. I ran a cross a F1800R and it hits levels you wold not believe!! Link (great guy!) on this Forum sold me 2 of his KG 5.5s to go with the other ones I had and it's better then the theater!!! AL.

• Like 1

the bass output I gained from actually having a subwoofer (a servo controlled one no less) made all the difference in the world. It's like I have a new system! I think I will be very happy with this sub. Now I wish I didn't live in an apartment complex so I could test the real output capabilites.

If you live in an apartment, it could be a good idea to have your sub sitting on a foam rubber pad or something similar, so that the sub is shaking the air in your room as it's supposed to, without shaking your neighbour's ceiling at the same time. I've got my living room sub sitting on a small low table as well as having an inch-thick rubber pad under each foot and don't get any complaints from my neighbours, which is the way I like things to be.

• 2 weeks later...

It was timely that this was resurected recently!

I've had an F-1500R for about 8-9 years now and it has done wonderfully until moving into my new much larger room. The room is now 4500cf, and it still sounds fine, but doesn't have the ability to pressurize the room like it once did.

I just ordered a THX Ultra2 setup and hope that I can limp along with this Velo until I can afford something like a Seaton Submersive or comparable. So do you guys think the Velo will be completely overwhelmed by the THX's?

Also curious what value these have on the used market these days?