AKFest 06

Parrot

That company must be hurtin'. They couldn't even afford enclosures for the amp and pre-amp they had.

[:)] Those were prototypes just built last minute. Craig tells me that little company's stuff is high-buck with a long waiting list. I think their amp I heard was $35,000 or something like that.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corners of a 15 or 16' wall about a foot out. I like them. But they aren't khorns. Boom! You should get some Craig! [:P]

Not likely! unlike some people I'm not so easily brain washed. Trust me I have heard Khorn's, Cornwalls, Heresy's and Lascalas as they should sound I don't believe you have heard either setup and tuned properly.

• Moderators

Bill,

There's no way to make a meaningful comparison because every aspect of the systems was different. In the tube Mac room, these were the speakers playing:

Photo by Wardsweb from his slide show over at audiokarma.org

What was the MSRP on those Mac speakers, about 20K? How did they sound. Did anyone play with the Mac C2200 Preamp? I am looking at getting a used C2200 vs. a new BB Xtream with Cream.

Travis

AK Fest was a blast this year. I got to hang out with board members again this year that I met in Indy last year and I was fortunate to meet others. The after hour party's again were the most fun. Ask Nos, Parot and 1/2 of the 12th floor how much bass the LaScales don't have. http://forums.klipsch.com/emoticons/emotion-15.gif

All those LaScala bass bin modifications I have read over the years seem unnecessary with proper networks and amplification employed.

All those LaScala bass bin modifications I have read over the years seem unnecessary with proper networks and amplification employed.

Yep! Ask Colin what he thought of the bass on my Scala's with the VRD's/BBX. You can read it here...

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/721694/723321/ShowThread.aspx#723321

and here

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/721694/724279/ShowThread.aspx#724279

Mike

What was the MSRP on those Mac speakers, about

20K? How did they sound. Did anyone play with the Mac C2200

Preamp? I am looking at getting a used C2200 vs. a new BB Xtream

with Cream.

Travis

They were $19K and they aren't the "big" speakers. The were very

smooth, very dynamic and very tall. You would expect at least that much

coming in around $60K of your hard earned dollars. Ron was a gratious

host, easy going and I think a bit jaded having lived with high end

McIntosh for years. The music server was a trick new toy. Now to go

sell a body part or two.

Craig, I lifted the Lascalas about 3 inches in the front and dayuuuuum the bass now hits you right smack in the middle of the chest. Fine tweak. I also bought the Sota from Dave.

Yup an amazing tweak I have done this in my Shop system for years. The Heresy risers gave me the idea and now after we did this at the fest I'm currently doing the same in my living room with thise very same Shampoo bottles we used at the fest. My wife said something like .....he has finally lost his marbles completely LMAO!!! But she admits it sounds way better. Not only does the bass seem to reach out into the room better but the sound field just explodes!!

I'm still waiting for some one to surface on AK with pictures of Day two with this tweaked stock Lascala setup.

Craig

from COLIN:

I admit it. And you read it here first. Hearing is believing. Evidence suspends disbelief. Music lovers with big ole horns and NOSvalve KT88 VRD monoblocks can get away without a sub-woofer.

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

The NOSvalve amplifiers seem to run cool. An afternoons work did not seem to make them any hotter. I bet the tubes last a good long time. Except for some treble harshness, probably caused by the closeness of the undampened back and side walls, and unnoticed by our host due to his loss of upper end hearing - racing Vettes dear Mike, is hard on the ears there were no obvert clues that either choir or piano records were recorded! It wasnt Memorex, it was live.

The KT88s do not measure as powerful as the 6s33s, but they were and they are fast. I think I would have to hear a OTL amplifier to best the speed of the NOSvalve monoblocks. Leading edge transients are some of the best Ive heard. Even though this was not a critical audition, in my own home, on my own equipment, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, these are the best tube amplifiers I have heard on big ole horns.

=================

Two listening sessions on the extemes of I-75 in the same month with the same conclusion.

Perhaps this beats all that A-B testing in terms of repeatability.

Picked up way too many records but they were going for a song. One prized one I grabbed is a 10-inch 78 rpm distributed by Hartz Mountain. Billed on the label as "Self-instruction method of developing the full song potential of canaries" Click for bigger image.

Man-o-man, that was cheep, cheep, cheep.