Klipschorn Driver Selection

• Moderators
7 hours ago, UglyButSmart said:

Moderate all you want. Just stating facts 🤠

All new members first post require moderation to stop spam. 

Just stating facts

Another fact...........That thread you posted on was ongoing 14 year ago, so those people may not respond.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UglyButSmart said:

Hello all,

I am new to forums online so I hope I post correctly. I have a tech question hopefully someone might answer. I am building a set of Speakerlab-K's to realize owning a set of K-Horns. I am trying to select a driver. I have read Volvotreter's webste and he states the parameters for the driver selection as follows:

very low Fs (<25Hz)

high Qts (>0.5)

large Xmax (>6mm)

large BL products >10 T*m

Nominal impedence at 4ohms (horn loading brings it closer to 8 in operation)

Compliance numbers around 0.3mm/N. The "orginal" plans call out a driver with lowest possible Fs preferably below 25Hz

When I search the net for drivers I find only a handful meeting these parameters in 15". Hopefully my next question doesn't give anyone a migraine or a heart condition LOL. Here goes:

While searching I found more drivers that are 18" matching the parameters than the 15". Has anyone ever installed this size into a K-Horn or is it physically impossible/ sonically horrible?

I am a decent woodworker, and the plans for these seem relatively easy. Since I don't have unlimited monetary resources, I am trying to find the suitable drivers that I can put in and forget about them.

Hopefully I didnt talk everyones eyes off. Have a great weekend all.

JBL D140's beat the dog out of the originals !!

Welcome.  Such has been done.  You will need to model the prospective drivers and choose for yourself.  If this isn't possible, suggest closely following someone else's project for predictable results.  Everything depends on what your objective and the spirit of your project are.  If you are going to the trouble of non-trivial woodwork (there are more parts in there than people think, and tolerances need to be tigher than people think) to achieve that form-factor (and you want it furniture-pretty), it'd be sensible to scratch-design your own best fit for the drivers you use.  If you just want something cheap to be able to hear what real bass horns sound like, there are easier constructions (if large).  High-efficiency AND bass is a commitment--there isn't much room to dip a toe in the water cheap.  One either is ready to dive in, or not.  If you are gung-ho to just use existing plans and make sawdust, search this forum a bit more for suitable driver substitutions and predicted results.  

And I've come to appreciate zombie-threads because at least they better serve as central references.  This way, everyone only needs to find the maybe dozen similar threads and not pore over tens of them.