Projector Central on HD-DVD

damonrpayne

http://www.projectorcentral.com/hd-dvd.htm

Projector central is a favorite site of mine for their very thorough observations. I have to admit that the article made me somewhat question my BluRay dedication. At this point I have to say "WTF is Sony thinking?", specifically in relation to the delayed time to market for BluRay disc players. We'll see, I still think PS3 is going to be a big deal.

I feel it is too early to define any winner in the format war. The driving factor will ultimately be what format can supply the most cost effective product to the consumer. Early adopters will be the gadgeteers.

One keey issue will be if one format supports analog outputs and if the other doesn't. I don't think the average consumer is willing to pay $500 for a HD DVD player when they can pick up a $30 dvd player at Wally World.

If the industry can pump out decent HDTVs for $800 and HD DVD players that are backward compatible for $200 the avaerage consumer would be more apt to make the plunge.

PS3. If Sony had released it earlier I would have considered it. But Xbox 360 has made in roads into my entertainment system. with the rumors of a price cut it leads me to believe there is a newer version of the 360 in the works. If the 360 can be hacked like the xbox and if it incorporates an HD DVD drive, there will be 2 new 360s in my house, replacing my current 360 and my dvd player upstairs.

My prediction: Xbox with HD DVD, Halo 3 on HD DVD supporting analog TV and up to 1080p released a month before the PS3.

Sony is just a little to late to the game console market this time and from the looks or it they are running a little late to the HD format market.

It is not always about having the best product but getting the product to the market place and marketing the hell of it.

we have the toshiba player and a coupple of HD-DVDs at work... We put them up via a 720p native DLP monitor on a 100" screen. The HD-DVDs did look very nice, the color and sharpness of the picture were outstanding, and far better than any HDTV broadcast I have seen.

Then we put a regular DVD into the toshiba of the same movie. sure enough the picture quality of the regular DVD through the toshibas video scaler was simply outstanding. There were 2 video engineers with me and they both agreed that the jump from DVD to HD-DVD wasnt as big as everyone thought.

that means that HD-DVD and Blue-Ray will both go the way of SACD and DVD-A... Both formats will fail miserably.

NatGun,

Interesting perspective of SACD vs DVD-a and HD DVD vs blue-ray.

I am a big fan of the SACD/DVDa/dual disc. The sound is so much better, in most cases, than the conventional CD.

The big problem is too many choices and proprietary software formats.

So now we have CD/DVD/DVDa/SACD/HDCD/HD DVD/Blue-Ray/Dual Disc

Too many formats, too many units required to play the different formats, not enough time for the average consumer to understand the difference, shopping for the correct format may not be one stop shopping, retailers would most likely be reluctant to dedicate shelf space to so many formats, if the shelf space was dedicate retailers most likely would only carry the newest of the new releases.

I say pump up the quality of the feature presentation and move the extra to another disc.

The better solution would be to pick CD, DVD, DVDA, HD DVD and start pumping out a universal player.

The point of most of the people getting out there is the price like what stated above($30 a dvd player, $15-20 a disk or even just rent for $5). Most of us looked at here would be the quality difference and I think more of us here concerned with the picture and the sound in those new format. As the new ones do not have 1080p and new sound format it is still a little bit early to conclude whether they would be dead format.

And people start to get confuse with those new bunch of tech and need time to get them digested. I personally do not have favor in any of them and would rather have new format to dominate like DVDs because the downres proposal in Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. However, I would not mind if either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray can come up some audio format like SACD with more popularity and that format will have my vote [:D]

• 1 month later...

the question isnt weather HD-DVD and blueray are good or not... they are both fantastic.

the question is: is the jump in quality enough to penetrate the mass consumer market the way DVD has and will continue to do, especially at these outrageous prices... the answer is not in a million years. the average consumer doesnt own a HDTV, nor do they really care.

i was just over a guys house who refused to buy widescreen DVDs even though he had an HDTV... nomatter how i tried to explain it to him, he couldnt understand why widescreen is better especially since he had an HDTV..

the jackass actually played all his full-screen DVDs stretched out on his HDTV because the picture was "bigger" and he refused to beleive it could get any better. this is the kind of retard that will pass by the new HD discs and thus ensure a slow painfull death for both formats.

As HDTV penetrates themarket, HD sources will be sought out. HD DVD is the best HD source available today. It is a nihe product due to lack of titles available. In a few years there will be so many HDTVs out that either Blu-ray and/or HD DVD will be huge sellers.

Blu-rays from Samsung went on sale yesterday for $1,000. HD DVD is selling at less than half of the Blu-ray price and is farther along with being debugged.

Bill

Has anyone heard of the possiblity of a player that will play:

DVD, HD-DVD, BLUE RAY, DVD-A, SACD, CD, HDCD, ETC.....

I'm sure that it would be expensive at first, but they would prob. be $50 at ?Walmart in the near future. It gets old new formats coming out, noncompatible with current units....

I have been in touch with many other guys in the industry and people of the masses. They all agree. Get the HD discs to NETFLIX and BLOCKBUSTER and it will be a hit. People will adapt if they can rent the disc at low cost. It has been proven before with beta and vhs. What ever format the rental companies have will be the one that lastes.

The problem with this is that in order to get HD DVDs through NetFlix, you have to change your service over to HD. It is a catch 22 situation, since you are unable to determine what titles are available in HD without switching service FIRST.

NetFlix should just post a list with a link and it would be much easier to determine if they have the titles I want to watch before investing in either format.

BluRay is a computer format. It will rise or fall on that basis. The movies part just sorta comes along for the ride.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Much the same as D-VHS was developed for data ... and got a following going for movies.

The problem with D-VHS is that ... well it is tape.

Computers need a bigger DVD ... and soon. There is so much data out there which has no archival means ...

I have a D-VHS recorder. It has Firewire-in (i-Link) from my Motorola DVR. Works well.

It converts to a format I can transfer to my computer ... but there ain't anything big enough for me to put it on ... HD is huge and a regular DVD is way small ...

For that reason I believe that BluRay is going to succeed. I don't know about HD-DVD ...