Need quick advice by Sunday night!

wuzzzer

Well, as I sit here and start to list my Sony receiver on eBay I start to wonder if I am making the right decision. Here's why:

As most of you know I am running an HK 730 Twin Powered receiver with my RF-7s. The receiver it replaced is a Sony STR-D1011S that is from 1994. I haven't ever used my Sony receiver with the RF-7s. I did use it when I had my RF-25s.

I know that the RF-7s appreciate good headroom. Here's the specs on the Sony, quoted from the operating manual:

"With 8-ohm load, both channels driven, from 20 - 20,000 Hz, rated 120 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.04% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.

Dynamic power output (in the stereo mode) 8 ohms, at 1kHz IHF 185W + 185W - 4 ohms, at 1kHz IHF 235W + 235W."

Now I know that a lot of times you have to take measurements such as these with a grain of salt. This isn't a flimsy unit at all, however. Weight on it is 30 pounds. It was Sony's top receiver that year without delving into ES territory.

One of the things that I like about the HK is the preamp input and output. I have my Definitive Tech sub hooked up inline to that. But, just recently I learned that my sub's low and high pass crossovers only work with the sub's high level speaker inputs/outputs and that my HK is amplifying the entire sound range.

One nice feature I liked about the Sony is the digital parametric equalizer built in to it. I know a lot of people disdain EQs, but the built in one worked great and had a ton of frequencies that could be adjusted. It also has a 4/8ohm switch.

Should I dismantle everything and give the Sony a try? Or should I just get rid of it and save up for a better pre/pro or receiver later on?

{edit} Here's a link to the eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9716821195 It hasn't started yet so you can't bid on it, but I just wanted to link to it since it has a lot more about the Sony receiver on there.

How hard could it possibly be to run separate speaker wires from the sony to the RF7s? Separate RCA's from your CD player? I wouldn't even bother with the sub. You'll know if it's worth keeping after about 20 seconds.

I seriously doubt the sony can touch the H/K. Should be a slam dunk. My ES bites with 2-channel. I use it for HT only which is more than adequate.

How hard could it possibly be to run separate speaker wires from the sony to the RF7s? Separate RCA's from your CD player? I wouldn't even bother with the sub. You'll know if it's worth keeping after about 20 seconds.

I seriously doubt the sony can touch the H/K. Should be a slam dunk. My ES bites with 2-channel. I use it for HT only which is more than adequate.

Gary,

Which Sony ES do you have?

I just picked up a Sony STR DA 5000 ES on Audogon. It is a 7 channel digitally amplified 170 watt receiver. I'm very happy with it hooked up to my Belles. I was (and am still partially) considering a pair of JBL 250ti's, but I have to admit that after hearing the Belles and the Sony, it will be hard to get rid of this combo.

Chris

I wonder if it took more time and effort to type the original post and wait for the results than it would have taken to hook up and listen to the Sony.

Probably, but this board usually gives pretty darn good advice. [:S]