Sony stays...harman/kardon 730 twin powered goes!

wuzzzer

Man was I surprised. [:o] Some of you may have read my other post entitled "Need quick advice by Sunday night."

After some friends left whom we invited over for dinner, I decided to hook up my Sony receiver that I had scheduled to start on an eBay auction later tonight. Man am I glad I did!

I put in a number of CDs that I was familiar with (Pink Floyd Echoes, Eric Clapton Chronicles, Queen Greatest Hits, AC/DC Back in Black) and the Eagles Farewell I DVD. This Sony has some balls! I can definitely say that it blows away any Sony receiver you can buy today. I remember doing a lot of research into this receiver before I bought it in the mid 90s. Discrete output amplification, 4 ohm stable no sweat. Weighs 30 pounds! In fact I used Bose 401 speakers for about 10 years with this receiver that are 4 ohm rated.

The midrange punch that seemed to be lacking with the RF-7s was unleashed! Drums sounded much punchier. I didn't even have my subwoofer hooked up and the bass was more than adequate. The nicest thing about the receiver is its built-in digital parametric equalizer. Just a slight lessening to the treble and I was good to go.

Well, that being the case...my HK 730 is now listed on eBay! Here is the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9717259470&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

WOW, what didn't you like about the 730? I have one in my office, don't run it really hard, but like the sound.

Maybe my ears are shot and I don't know what I'm listening to anymore. Every time I go to a buddy Forum members house, I get totally confused.

Michael

Its hard to describe without actually hearing it. I guess the Sony seemed to bring out more of the midrange, especially noticeable with midrange drums. They seemed to have a louder, more vigorous slap like they would in a live performance. Voice sibilance was almost non-existant after only a very slight tweak of the digital parametric EQ. Bass output was awesome, I didn't even have my sub hooked up!

DVDs such as the Eagles Farewell Tour were very grating on my ears unless I turned the treble waaay down (on the HK). I found myself listening to that DVD at least as loud as I did with the HK and enjoying every minute of it.

Its not that I didn't like the 730. It was a great receiver for my RF-25s. I'm sure it would be a great receiver for any Heritage series speaker, too.

I know another poster here said that he had the same Sony as I have powering his LaScalas and he loved the combination. Maybe I/we actually found a rare Sony/Klipsch gem?! [8-|]

{edit} Could also be the fact that I had this receiver for 10 years and I'm used to the sound. Who knows. All I know is that I gave it a good hour of listening and it won out.

Same unit I've tried to sell on here for 3 months. Mine is 94 model year. The only reason I don't use it is because it's not 5.1, and I like the rca plug for sub woofer, and those are the only reasons. The new Sony is fine but doesn't have the wallop of the older one. I feel it is just as good as any other SS receiver HK, Denon which is very overrated, Sansui or whatever brand, of course I don't include McIntosh in that comment, they are a league of their own.

Its from around 93/94. Its exactly the same one as oldbuckster has except for the 'S' in my model which means it has a Control S input which was a way that Sony linked together different components.

From his description it sounds like his is in better cosmetic decision than mine. And the $100 he's asking for it is a flat out deal!

Its from around 93/94. Its exactly the same one as oldbuckster has except for the 'S' in my model which means it has a Control S input which was a way that Sony linked together different components.

From his description it sounds like his is in better cosmetic decision than mine. And the $100 he's asking for it is a flat out deal!

It is strD1011S same as yours, believe me, if it was 5.1 I'd still be using it, Pro Logic is fine, but 5.1 is great. I don't have to tell you ,you own one already.

I don't think I lacked tact...I saw that he had annouced, from the beginning, that he had already placed the item for auction on EBAY, I simply annouced I was bidding...pretty normal to me. perhaps you were joking, I don't like it suggested I stole something or jumped on someone else's deal.

san salvador is in central america where I work and live currently. I maintain a home in Westchester New York where the item will be shipped (if I win the auction).

Regards,

Tony

Too late! I already bought both the HK units form Arfandbark....Just kidding! [;)]

re: Sony, I have had great experiences with a wide variety of sony equipment. TVs, VCRs, CD players and jukeboxes, a HT reciever. all worked flawlessly and, in fact, continue to work after decades (in some cases). The only unit form Sony that was a disappointment was a all-in-one table top stereo that always had problems with the CD and cassette player...

regards,

tony

nice tony....

re: Sony. I have had good luck, not great, with sony hardware. AMP's - I'm on my first Sony HT DTS amp, and it is really a great amp. I sort of rediscovered my HT system last weekend, while doing some "spring cleaning" downstairs. It sounds great. I dont spend as much time down in my HT as I should.

Sony DVD and CD transports? not so much. the original sony changer I bought with the amp, (5 disc) is collecting dust no expanation, just disc error. The second Sony DVD transport I purchased to replace it soon followed in the "graveyard". I replaced them with a sony dvd changer, (it's the only one I could find in black) and recently pulled the dvd player out of mothballs and for some reason now it works. amazing. I must have lost my mind?

I replaced a cheapo sony boombox with a mono tivoli modle one. this is in the bathroom. no comparison.

ARFandBARK.. you have PM. Perry is just down the road, I go to Lansing on buisness a couple times a month.

C

I guess I have been lucky BUT both my fully loaded CD juke box changers now have almost ten years mileage on them and the only failure is an LED on the oldest of the two (11 years old). my DVD juke box also has been flawless in running though, from the beginning, picky about DVDs with even the slightest damage or dirt (like anything I rent!). New DVDs always play fine.

Tivoli makes a nice sounding mini, no doubt about it. Performance-wise I would not call Sony anything but consumer grade but quality-wise I really have no grounds to complain.

tony

jeez I just remembered I have a Sony CD player that I bought in 1988 that still runs at my beach house! that thing took me through graduate school, apartments, the jungle and now the salty air of the beach....keeps on tickin' as they say...

You might be crowing too soon Sony has a bad service reputation.

Um, I've owned that Sony receiver for over 10 years, subjected it 75% of the time to a set of 4ohm speakers, used it for DJing at least 25 weddings/grad parties/etc, I think its been put through its paces!

The only Sony item I've had problems with was a DVD player I bought about 6-7 years ago. It would stop about halfway through a movie and give an error message. I guess it was something to do with the unit overheating and was common.