Cornwall Network Comparison. Help needed.

mungkiman

I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I need more help.

I have a pair each of Cornwall Type B (below) and B2 (above) networks,

and wonder (other than appearance) what the differences are.

Is one preferred?

Are there driver limitations between them?

I have: K-33-E, K-55-V, & K-77's, and need to decide which pair of networks to have upgraded (hopefully by BEC).

Any knowledge and opinions welcome. Thanks in advance,

Chris

I'm not sure what to tell you, but if you want, I can walk you through modding that Type B for 400Hz and 4500Hz crossover points if you decide on using Bob's CT125s and a larger squawker horn. It could look a little something like this....

post-15109-13819295498486_thumb.jpg

I had b2 crossovers on my horizontal horn, walnut oiled Cornwalls, back in the day before classic Klipsch corner Khorns. They have a very sharp upper mid-range bump that made them sound live and real, but also harsh and wearing. I have heard both DeanGs crossovers for RF7s and ALKs for Khorns and they both really bring out the best of the Klipsch drivers. [Y]

Hi Chris,

I'm just in the process of upgrading my B-2 network on my 82 CW's and have recently asked the same question to BEC.

In my situation I have the K51V driver which was only used for a couple of years. I was looking at the possibility of making the 400 HZ mod Chops has recently done on his B network however it's not clear whether the K51V driver can adequately handle this frequency. Even if the K51V could handle the 400 HZ mod I don't believe the B-2 mod has been created (Would be breaking new ground).

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the B-2 network it's just not very common, therefore the B network is a better choice (IMO) as it has proven mods more readily available from people like BEC.

For now I'm simply going to refresh my caps, install a Pyle Pro Horn as Chops has recently done and see what kind of results I get.

I'm sure there are others who are much more knowledeable that will chim in.

Shayne,

Honestly, I have no clue about the Type B2 network. I don't know what that huge cap is for, or that inductor for that matter. And then there's the question of the other two caps side-by-side.

Does anyone have the specs on the B2?

I know the Type B is a 1st order network with crossover points at 600Hz/6000Hz.

My modded Type B's (now called Type CS) has crossover points at 400Hz/4500Hz.

I have: K-33-E, K-55-V, & K-77's, and need to decide which pair of networks to have upgraded (hopefully by BEC).

Your speakers are those used in the Cornwall 1's which use the B-network. This network uses a 2.0 and 4.0 uF cap and a 2.5 mHy inductor. The B-2 network uses a different tweeter, midrange and woofer.

Your speakers are those used in the Cornwall 1's

which use the B-network. This network uses a 2.0 and 4.0 uF cap and a

2.5 mHy inductor. The B-2 network uses a different tweeter, midrange

and woofer.

Different midrange i believe (B-2 = K-51 ?) as that's the combo i

have... OTOH tweeter and woofer were the same K77 and K33.

You can't just drop a B-3 network in there it was designed around the K-57K midrange shortly before the transition to the Cornwall II. The Cornwall 1.5 as it is known.

Friz

If I'm not mistaken, the B-3 network was seen used with other drivers besides the K57. I believe Todd's Cornwall 1.5 has a K52. My Corn 1.5 had the K57 K and B-3. What a screwed up transition.

The B, B-2, and the B-3 all used the T2A autoformer and the same taps. Therefore I would think the K55, K52 and K57 would have "SIMILAR" sensitivities. I can't remember, was the K53 used in the Corn 1.5? Maybe that was just the Heresy2 and Chorus.

The K51 was even a more rare breed. At this point I think I've got the drivers all screwed up in my head.

I have used the B-3 with the K55 and it sounded fine. Todd seems to think the B-3 sounds good with the K52. I think you could get by with the B-3 as long as the K77 (or CT125) is in there.

jc