proud new owner of rf-7's needs ypur help!

bent77

I have been looking through some of the posts and have seen some information regarding upgraded crossovers for the rf-7's. where can I find out more information i.e. price,benefits, where to buy?

I am currently "breaking in" the beasts by playing various types of music/movies but am finding the sound to be a little bright still, I am using the yamaha rx-v2500 as my amp/processor and not finding a lot of adjustibility as far as changing the actual equalization.

Also having trouble with correct placement of rsw-15. I seem to have "sweet spots" where the bass is mind-numbing but they are located nowhere near the listening position (I am in a totaly different room and the bass drum from the First Knight score is moving my shirt; it is mediocre at best in the room where the sub is at!)

thanks to all who can help a budding audiophile/theatre geek

I have not had my crossovers reworked but the guy you are looking for is DeanG. You can probably find more info on this topic by using the search function on the forum. Type in something like RF7 crossovers, and I'm sure it will pull up a wealth of information. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

As a starting point the rsw15 should be within 3ft of at least one

main.Check phase/crossover setting so there is no bass cancellation.Do

a search on Yamaha and Klipsch(7's for sure),I had one,for a few days.

Do a search on RF-7 mods and you will find the threads on the DeanG modification.

The mod is not cheap, but then again, the work that goes into them is

not slight. Dean modified mine, and what I noticed in side by

side a-b'ing of the RF's was that the harshness was gone from the

tweeter...I have heard a lot of folks talk about smoothness and

fluidity, etc., but I thought they were pretty good before the

modification. After the mod, they were much more listenable...if

you are finding them too bright, that might be right up your alley.

Keep breaking them in...I have had mine for a while, and I think I am only recently getting them broken in well.

Dean is hard to get a hold of via e-mail...even when I have money to

throw at him. You are best off calling him. Search for

DeanG, get this threads and you will find his cell phone number...call

him (a thing I still ahve not found time to do yet)!

K

concerning the sub...currently it is placed right next to the left rf7/ in a corner with about 2in clearance to the side and about 3in. to the rear.

The "sweet spot" problem began in another room measuring about 14'x13' with an 8' ceiling. I tried the sub in three different corners and found the best place to be in the left rear corner behind the listening position. I suspect that the difference was in the makeup of the wall (it was an outside wall which would include insulation and a brick backing versus hollow drywall everywhere else) The sweet spot in that room was located in two places on either side of the love seat which was the only furniture in the room. In those two spots the bass was unbeliveable. When I sat down in the loveseat, the bass lost volume and seemed to drop out frequencys---example--- when listening to classical/movie scores and a hard hit on a concert bass drum occured, I could only feel the initial hit of the drum but not hear the frequency generated by the movement of the head while sitting in the loveseat. If I moved to the sweet spot and replayed the track, it was a totaly different experience ( a wonderful one!! ) these two listening positions were only about 2' apart. Also worth mentioning is steping outside the room into the entryway proved to be yet another sweet spot where the bass relocated my brain cells! All I ask is that I can have the same experience while sitting comfortably in front of my 56" DLP Samsung!!!!!!!

Since then I have relocated the system to another room in hopes of more tuning possibilities. this room is larger 23'x19' with a sloping 8' to 17' ceiling and is open to a med.size kitchen. after initial setup, the bass is pleasing and actually better in the listening position than in the smaller room but while sitting here in a totaly different room the bass sounds better formed ( more distinct ) than in the room with the system.

concerning the rf-7's

They are placed about 1.5' from the 8' wall (see above for room desc.) The left is located near a side wall with enough room between it an the corner for the sub and the right is also in a corner but it is only a partition that extends about 3' from the wall....I will try to come up with a visual aid

The 15 is in a bad spot,too close to walls.Close to the 7's is good but

you need a foot min from rear and away from the wall a foot or two.I

understand room layout can make it hard but 3" to the rear firing sub

is too close.

i believe the recommendation from the klipsch manual was 3-4" clearance but I assume that it could react differently in different rooms. I will need a test CD/DVD and a SPL meter to really get serious about this...sigh...any good suggestions for a good meter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Try putting your sub in the main seating position and play some bass heavy material. Go around the room with your meter close to the floor and take some readings. Usually the spot with the best reading will be the place to put the sub. Be sure your mains are on. If you have your speakers in a room with a short wall and a tall wall, put your mains on the short wall.

Some feel that Yamaha can make the RF-7's a bit on the bright side and tend to turn to slightly warmer sounding equipment such as Rotel, Harman Kardon, etc. to cure the harsh or bright problem. First try different room positons and see if it tames down your problem. Good luck.

I was alway's curious how the RSW-15 would sound with the 7's. Setting up the sub sure took some time to get right so be patient, it's worth it.

If after some time you would like to change the networks/crossovers give Dean a call at 937-559-9708 and he can certainly make a difference in the sound for you....I'm a happy customer too....[:D]

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL HELP AND ADVICE!!!

I haven't had any time at all to try even moving the sub an inch!!! I will be getting married in two weeks and things are getting pretty crazy around here!!! Not to mention I work 12hr shifts at CITGO. I will definately be investing in a meter some time in the near future. Does anybody have suggestions for a test cd/dvd that will aid in not only sub placement/performance but help in evaluating the entire setup?

I don't know if other companies have this kind of customer support/camraderie but I am blown away by this forum and the advice and support given to each other here.

KLIPSCH ROCKS.

This is good advice as I am also about to set up my system, not as good

as yours but I would love to find a good testing CD/DVD.

My system is the RB-3/RC-3/RS-3 with a new NAD C162/C272 preamp/amp. I

had a Yamaha but everyone seemed to think it would make the speakers

too bright, hopefully the NAD setup will be better... waiting for it

all to arrive :)

I own the stereophile test cd's and they are pretty good, but ordering them online took a long time to get as when I put in the order they were out of stock. Since then I have found out about Rives Audio test cd's.

http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

What you want is Test CD 2 from above link as it is especially calibrated for the way the radio shack meter will measure the spl.

Should work great!

Also having trouble with correct placement of

rsw-15. I seem to have "sweet spots" where the bass is

mind-numbing but they are located nowhere near the listening position

(I am in a totaly different room and the bass drum from the First

Knight score is moving my shirt; it is mediocre at best in the

room where the sub is at!)

thanks to all who can help a budding audiophile/theatre geek

Positioning

is important, but many are missing the boat in this area. Do not overlook the importance for acoustical room

treatments, because they are a must if you intend to get the most out of your sound system. You are in desperate need

of some bass traps and a few panels at first reflection points[;)]