V for Vendetta

Colin

As I pen this in the balmy days of spring, the tax days of mid-April are still in the rear view mirror, but I am looking forward to baking my body in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Floridas relentless summer sunshine.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It is betwixt and between time for movies. It is too soon for the teenage, guilty-pleasure blockbuster of summer and the Academy nominees are drifting to the DVD and rental shelves. Nonetheless, for me, the movie theater still beckons.

I knew nothing about the V for Vendetta comic book series before seeing the movie. I was quite surprised by it. This is a futuristic British world, festooned with government cameras, where the media panders to neo-Nazi dressing fascist government of thugs.

The hero is a dark, Shakespearean quoting knight, wielding a chest full of Japanese fighting swords and a weirdly disturbing, grinning white mask. He saves the girl and introduces himself with a tongue-twisting soliloquy. The hero, V for Vendetta, challenges the government by threatening to blow-up a government building in the British tradition of Guy Fawkes. He is always one-step ahead of the bad guys, wreaking his murderous revenge for their cruelty and corruption.

The movie makes a unwittingly, depiction of the madness and inspiration of terrorists. Blow up the building, V thinks, and the public will see that a government trampling their individual rights is more of a threat than their irrational fears (yeah, right).

Although I pump my movies through my almost fantastic classic Klipsch Khorn loudspeakers system, I still appreciate movie theaters with speakers lining the walls and stadium seating. These venues are particularly good for action films, my favorite genre being the sci-fi action movie. In this case, it was a delight to wander into the big box and see a late spring entry. If you like the same genre, I think you will like V for Vendetta. [~]

Wonderful movie that is artistic, new, fresh, and unique on several levels.

First off, that the hero is not your "typical" mysterious or vague protagonist, as seen in his thunderous yet bizarre "speech" after he rescues the girl in the opening sequence. Also symbolized by his ear-to-ear-grinning mask, imparting a deeply vengeful man hidden beneath a jovial countenance. Much like a clown.

Secondly, of course, that V is a man with incredible knive-fighting/throwing skills indicative of Eastern martial arts, as opposed to your standard cookie-cutter heroes that possess some sort of superpower.

Also, for those who look beyond the stunning explosions and incredible action-sequences, they will find many political statements about our current society today.

And I must also note that the "prison sequence" was imaginative and powerful, despite the entire ordeal being...well...mean. You'll see what I mean when you watch this wonderfully entertaining and smart film.

PS - the reasoning for why V dons himself as such - "V" - is pleasantly unexpected...