What Behringer DEQ2496 Says About My Room - (pic)

meagain

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not too bad, a lot of rolling bumps and dips, no major suck-outs, but of course, there is that classic Klipsch hill in the upper mid-range that leads the harsh sound, and there is the shelved-down area of the mid, which people describe as recessed, all of this should be easy to smooth out with the auto-EQ function, I would love to see the afterward pics too

the condesned version looks like there is a problem at 630Hz...

And this is what size room? With what front-end? And which spks?

[H]

Colin - Khorns on a 13' wall with open area to other rooms. I have to check, but I think the left speak is fireing into a 'hole' in the wall to another room that's about 6' wide. It might be hitting 1/2 the wall and 1/2 the hole though. The right speak fires into a wall area with table lamp, and an iron bakers rack type thing with stuff on it. The walls are textured similar to a troweled plaster effect. We have beams on the ceiling about 3-4' apart. Ceiling 8'. Our sofa is about ?? 8 feet from the khorn wall? Velvet sofa. Behind which is a table with open space behind. Table sits lower than sofa back.

What sounds (specific instruments, etc. are in the 630hz area? Maybe with some tweaking, I could mask the shrillness we get at certain frequencies. Bandaid it a bit.

Hubby used the auto-eq, then tweaked it a bit. He found it better, but I didn't like it at all. Depth, richness, bass was decreased. He must have took some lower range peaks out which I think is a mistake. I never cared for what the auto-eq wanted us to do in the past, and I think I'm going to have to do this by ear myself. I'm very happy with the bass, lower mid and am reluctant to take anything down in that area. Moving a few parts up that are lacking would be ok, but perhaps only chill down the offending parts. There's alot I like about the sound and need to preserve those areas.

"But, do the graphs show what our issue is? "

It shows some issues, wether or not they are what you don't like about the sound I can't say.

"Or is it not bad looking in this freq. range?"

Was this playing pink noise?

If so.... down low is pretty typical in that the response isn't even. The mids overall look a little down in level compared to the bass horn and the tweeter looks far too hot.

Tonally I'd expect this to sound pretty hard/bright/edgy/fatiguing or something along those lines.

Is the EQ in your system now? IOW... can you adjust your systems sound with the EQ.

If so as a trial... start at about 5kHz on the 1/3 octave EQs... set it to -3dB and then work your way up (adjust every control from 5kHz and up_ to around -6dB or -8dB at around 7kHz or 8kHz then drop back down to around -3dB at 10kHz... above that point leave it alone for now.

Spend some time listening to that and see if that improves on the problems you are hearing. You might need a bigger cut up there. If so increase the numbers higher.

Basically try to flatten out that hump somewhat. Leave everything else along and DO NOT ADD ANY BOOST. Just keep it simple and try to flatten out that hump a little. Don't go crazy... keep it simple.

If your measurement wasn't made with pink noise then disregard all of the above and retest with pink noise.

Shawn

The tweeter filters on all of Al's designs are a bit juiced. When I did these tests in my room, both the ALK and ALKJR had output similiar to a Type A. Still, I don't remember seeing anything that exaggerated.

Really need to repeat the test with microphone closer to the speaker -- like Shawn said earlier -- with the mic about a meter from the front of the Klipschorn, between the horn and tweeter. Also make sure the other speaker is turned down.

When I do these tests I actually measure each driver independantly, and terminate the other sections of the filter with resistors.

It looks to me like a nice little bass bump around 50hz, maybe a little lower, with harmonics at 100hz and 200hz. In my untrained eye the bass doesn't look that bad, maybe a bit smiley faced eq'd on the whole.

I'd bet that if you eq'd a DB or two off of 48hz that the peaks at 100 and 200 would come down too. The best fix of course would be to find where in the room the bass is building up and trap it there.

IMO, the problem is that treble peak at 6khz. It would really be interesting to know if that is from the speaker or the room.

As a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if the flat sound you experienced has more to do with the EQ as a unit being in the signal path rather than the EQ choices that it makes.

Dean,

"When I do these tests I actually measure each driver independantly, and terminate the other sections of the filter with resistors."

That works if you are just looking for the response of the driver/filter itself. But to see what is actually going to happen when the *system* is playing for real all the drivers need to be playing and blending/interacting with each other. Otherwise you can't see things like an out of phase suckout at the crossover point or a peak from overlap between drivers or any of the other FR abberations can that occur from multiple drivers interacting.

Shawn

For kicks - Chorus II. (In front of khorns and slightly toed). A more chilled out high end. I'm going to retest them on the same khorn angle and see if the highs pop up. Then I'll individually test the khorns. I can do this easy cuz I have VRD monos & can just shut one off.

post-20189-13819297623206_thumb.jpg

Chorus II moved to mimic khorn angle but very bad for passive radiator/bass. I see the highs came up a bit? I think I had a different volumne level here. Can't figure out how to turn the noise off so I use the peach volume.

Yes - it's pink noise.

post-20189-13819297624186_thumb.jpg

Uncorrected response with Trachorns, K-55-V's, and K-77-M's. The network is the DHAxover, the precursor to the Super AA or ALKJr. The only difference between the filters is the first order tweeter section of the DHA instead of the 3rd order of the ALKJr. A single 3.3uF cap on the tweeter.

post-3205-13819297625176_thumb.jpg

OK - Here are the tests for the individual khorns. I duplicated the mic positions pristinely (measureing tape, etc). For this pink noise test, the Peach volume is set to 10 with l/r gains at midnight. Crossover taps set at 4/x. Turned on only the amp for each speaker for test.

Right speaker

post-20189-13819297626736_thumb.jpg

The left looks alot crappier than the right. Funny - I always felt my right speaker to be the main problem child. It's the speaker I feel 99% confident is the culprit for my intermittant drop out problem. I switched crossovers and it's now in the left speak.

Doesn't the left speak look significantly worse than the right? Why would that be?

EDIT - Dean, while you have some highs in the highs, it still looks more smooth than mine. Mine seems to take a goodly leap over there in relation to the other stuff.

I sure wish more people had this gadget.