What Behringer DEQ2496 Says About My Room - (pic)

meagain

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. We are not going to blow those speakers! It would be interesting to see the results of reversing the squaker at the extremes of 400 and 6KHz.

You definately have a "hump" in the 6-10KHz range. Which K-55s do you have? Push pin or solder?

I have been finding this very interesting.

post-12829-13819297636696_thumb.jpg

No full range. Just reverse the 5 and 2 leads. The hump is in the overlap area where they slopes cross.

I am listening to my Belles nowwith a pair of Al and Dean'sdesign networks. I don't percieve a hump in that area. I just did that now and the reversal seemed to upset the balance. I don't have an analizer to look at, just my ears.

Rick

Rick,

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if the right squakwer might be out of phase. It is hard to tell from this pictures though but in some of the shots its looks like she has some cancelation at the crossover points in that speaker.

The tweeter hotness just looks like a hot tweeter. I think the level rolloff above 12k is just the normal response of the k77.

Shawn

OK - clicking on the pics to open them in a different window for comparison.... I see no change really. Shouldn't these be drastically different from each other given the polarity/phase thing is totally reversed in one picture? Yipes!

No, they shouldn't look dramatically different. You aren't seeing phase, you are seeing amplitude/freq on an RTA.

What you are looking for is the effects of the differening phase between the drivers where they are working together. What you should see if more raggedness around 400hz and around 6000hz.

To me it looks like you have a little bit smoother response around 400hz with the taps connected properly. Not much difference at 6kHz.... with the path length difference the drivers are out of phase either way really and you might not be able to see the difference at 1/3 octave. I had to look at around 1/24 octave to see tweeter polarity effects in my system.

While you have the taps reversed on the right speaker is the left speaker still connected normally?

If so listen to the system like this. Tell me if you get good central imaging on voices or not. AVIA has a phase test... try that.

Shawn

With the two woofer alone tests... the mic is equal distance from both K'Horn and you used the same mic position... correct? Also you didn't touch the volume control when you switched side to side correct?

Is their radical differences in the room left to right?

Above 40hz their response looks pretty close in that test with the same peaks and such which could be room artificats.

However... the right woofer looks like it is nearly 5dB more efficient then the left woofer. Considering the FR that would surprise me a little if that was all from the room. If the room was causing a reflection that boosted certain frequencies I would think the FR would look quite a bit different.

When you played the pink noise in each speaker did the right sound louder then the left?

Do you have a Radio Shack SPL meter? If so play the pink noise in each woofer along and measure the SPL level at the same point in the room. Is one speaker reading louder then the other? How much of a difference is there with C weighting vs A weighting?

Shawn

BTW... I have no idea if the Behringer offers the option of it or not but if it offers averaging or a 'slow' response time on the RTA be sure to use that. It helps give a little bit more consistency to measurements.

Shawn

3d - which one of those 2 looks better to you? top or bottom?

Sforgg - I left the right with 5/2 reversed and the left proper. At first I thought the imaging was right, but then felt the vocal steered to the right. I changed the taps on the right to proper and felt it was centered. This is probably not technically possible, but that was my impression after a day of this stuff.

I don't see a great mystery here re the HF section. It's a fact well-documented in this forum that the K-77-M tweeter is 3-5 dB hotter than the K-55-V, and the K-77-M's hottest area is from 5K Hz through about 9K Hz. There are graphs posted by Al K, for example, on the forum that clearly demonstrate this fact.

If you add that fact to the other well-documented fact that the ALK crossover and its variations, because of both the quality of the parts and the design, have about 3 dB less loss in the tweeter section than the AA crossovers (and perhaps the A's for all I know), then the result is a pair of K-77-M's that simply play too loud. That's what meagain's graph is showing.

Lowering the loudness of the HF by adding L-pads or the ALK tweeter attenuator (preferably the ALK, if HF is important to you) would fix THAT problem, and you could go on to the others.

One thing that may help to raise the mid-range volume is a pair of K-55-M's which have also been documented on this forum as being about 1.5-2 dB's more efficient than the K-55-V's.