Pending KHorn Purchase, Need Help Fast

• Moderators

I have been searching for a pair of Vintage KHorns to purchase prior to the Texas Klipsch gathering. I had found a pair on CL made in 1984 for 2,200 but they are in Birmingham, Al, a very long trip from Austin.

Today this came up on Audiongon and CL http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1151605029

I spoke to the seller and I am first in line. He said the S/N is 11R369 and 70 and they have AA cross-overs. If I am reading the S/N info. correctly that makes them made in 1977.

What should I be looking for when I go check these out tomorrow in terms of what model tweeters, etc?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Travis

tcwesq@texas.net

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to see you have a chance for a local score. Those should have the classic K77, K55, and K33 drivers. Is the seller OK for you to bring some gear to listen, or does he have adequate gear for you to tell?

Just a thought: If something does come up while you are there, might the seller let you get on the forum and seek further advise?

Good Luck, Travis

Those are Model C, like I have, generally considered less desirable for looks than the Model B that has the little riser between the bass and upper cabinets. The Model C was a little cheaper than the B, so you could probably talk him down a couple hundred. It all depends on how much you want them and how much other people want them and how much he wants to sell them, etc. Good luck.

• Moderators

Those are Model C, like I have, generally considered less desirable for looks than the Model B that has the little riser between the bass and upper cabinets. The Model C was a little cheaper than the B, so you could probably talk him down a couple hundred. It all depends on how much you want them and how much other people want them and how much he wants to sell them, etc. Good luck.

Thanks Parrot, I appreciate it greatly.

Travis

Seller says they are black walnut, and he has never seen a pair in same color. The color in the photos does not look all that dirrerent then what I have seen on other members speakers.

Those appear to be birch, stained in dark walnut.

• Moderators

Seller says they are black walnut, and he has never seen a pair in same color. The color in the photos does not look all that dirrerent then what I have seen on other members speakers.

Those appear to be birch, stained in dark walnut.

I am trying to remember by designations for finish. If they are Birch stained in walnut they will say BR-S ? If they are oiled Walnut they will be W-O? No idea what they would say if they were truly Black Walnut. What finish designations should I be expecting to see?

Travis

• Moderators

KC BR= "K"lipschorn- "C" Model- "B"irch- "R"aw...mine were this way too...brings their worth down a bit from the "norm" but they sound just as sweet...nice score...enjoy! Bill

So if they are in fact Walnut then they will say KC WO correct? And on the wayoff chance they are black walnut like he says (he did not even know what cross overs where in them, I had to tell him where to look) any idea what would come after the KC? Did they even offer black walnut on a C model in 77, or just later on with the B?

The finish on these Klipschorns look just like my old oiled walnut models. I don't know whether black walnut is an accurate description. It's probably the fact that the finish is showing a buildup of grime etc. over the years. A light sand and another coat of BLO may result in a lighter appearance.

These are birch raw, albeit stained (typically, the back is not stained). To add to what was said earlier about C vs. B, the large surfaces are not veneered, and thus have the somewhat random, non-symmetrical grain of birch raw, in contrast to the symmetrical "book-matched" grain of veneered K-horns. These edges show the plywood layering in contrast to veneer edge-banding. You'll want to judge whether these are fine for you in the long run or do you want to wait for a pair of veneered B's to show up.

Larry