The second thread of United 93

Colin

Are we ready to discuss this incredible MOVIE without dissolving into politics and provocation?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12112802/site/newsweek/

I can see it once, but a survey outside of the theater asked if I would buy it. NO. Would I rent it, if I never saw it before? Absolutely. Would I want to see it again? No, thanks.

Hell, the trailer tells the whole story, the movie is 2 hours of the same:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12102621/site/newsweek/

[:@]

Easily one of the most powerful and disturbing films I've ever seen. I've never been so gripped with terror and anxiety from start to finish as I have this film.

What makes United 93 particularly powerful is that while the movie is good enough to put you at the edge-of-your-[seat and queasy-to-your-gut if it were fictitious, the knowledge that this ACTUALLY HAPPENED makes the entire event all the more horrifying.

nicholtl-I always love movies that are based upon true stories for that very reason. I would go so far as to say that you can even take an average movie, add the fact that it is based upon a true story, and it takes the level of satisfaction from seeing it up a notch or two.

I am both eager and anxious about seeing this movie...all at the same time.

David

This is the best film I've seen this year.

There are no Hollywood over-the-top, gung-ho heroics; the passengers, wearing their fears where we can see them and recognize them as completely human, become heroes with their actions to try to take over the plane that very likely would have removed the Capitol Building from the nation's treasures.

United93 is thankfully and properly devoid of political manipulation and posturing; it simply lays out the events, in a painfully suspenseful manner. The final 20 minutes are the most intense cinema I have ever experienced.

I would buy it. I would watch it again. But not very often; like Saving Private Ryan, it is one of those film experiences that help to serve as a reminder of what events have transpired in our past, and how sometimes normal human beings can rise to the occasion and serve as an example to the rest of us.

I plan to see the film (have not yet) and I will buy it when it is available to watch from time to time to remember that terrible day 5 years ago.

Just watching the trailer gave me goosebumps of how scared I was that day. The feer that hit me when they hit the Pentigon.

Wondering when or if my wife would be able to get back into the country (she was on a business trip in Europe for the previous two weeks scheduled to come back Sept 12th)

Seeing two fully armed F16s in the air knowing they were ordered and heading to shoot down one of the worst targets imaginable. Knowing I would do the same if I were in the cockpit, but still.....

My head was going a million miles an hour that surreal morning.

JM

Wow--this movie is real. Very no-nonsense. Just the facts, madam. I'm sure there was some speculation on some events onboard, but you get the feeling that all phone calls made and any communications and conversations on the ground were as they happened then--

The terror increases as the events unfold in staccato fashion--you keep hoping that everyone will see whats going to happen and figure out how to save the plane, but of course it never does. To see the air traffic controllers looking out their windows at the burning WTC, you realise even these guys couldn't have really prepared for it because they couldn't imagine it ever happening anyway. Devastating to see these events come alive and remember how much it changed all of us.

And, there is no mistaking who did this to us. I love how this movie put a face on the enemy--

I'm not surpised this is not blockbuster. I'm sure many people who saw it that first week told their friends its not easy to watch-- Go be entertained by M-i-III instead. Too bad--this is vital viewing and a real scorcher-- a true tragedy.

I think most are not ready to see these events unfold in the movie theatre. It really hasn't been long enough for me to have forgotten what transpired. It further saddens me that Bush has so mishandled the situation. Those individuals and the thousands of others that died that day will not have died in vain but we will need better leadership at the top to get us out of the current mess we are in so that the real enemy, Al Queda, can be wiped off the face of the earth!

Looks like MI3 in one weekend beat out the total gross for United 93, and the Poseidon flop will beat it next weekend. Guess the war is over. No wonder Bush is so unpopular. He should have given us a war as long enough to hold Americans attention span like Reagan did one weekend.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

12 May 2006

Rank

Title

Weekend

Gross

Mission: Impossible III (2006)

$25M

$85.1M

Poseidon (2006)

$22.2M

$22.2M

R.V. (2006)

$9.95M

$43.3M

Just My Luck (2006)

$5.69M

$5.69M

An American Haunting (2005)

$3.56M

$10.8M

United 93 (2006)

$3.51M

$25.6M

Stick It (2006)

$3.17M

$22.1M

Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006)

$3.15M

$188M

Akeelah and the Bee (2006)

$2.4M

$14M

Hoot (2006)

$2.29M

$6.38M

[:^)]

He should have given us a war as long enough to hold Americans attention span like Reagan did one weekend.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[:^)]

That's true-- too bad Iraq wasn't like Grenada--fast and forgettable--at least to Democrats!

Colin==where do live in tampa? I'm in South Tampa off MacDill

Attention Spans and Politics..... Amen!

Government spending and tax are always here to stay. Diversions about War and Immigrants is a bunch of non-sense. Non-Fiscal issues capture the peoples' attention for a good short while, but then it's back off to working for a living and bitching about taxes. When will they ever get that? That's why the parties can't stay in control, and we flip-flop every so often.

I'll watch the movie when it comes out on DVD. Sounds like it's worth it. A concern I had was that it would incite violence. I guess I was wrong....