Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 2

thebes

While I'm thinking about Gary Burton, this may be my favorite recording of his. Compositions by Carla Bley (mostly).

B00000DTEG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Dreams So Real

• Audio CD
  • Number of Discs: 1
  • Label: Ecm Records
  • ASIN: B00000DTEG

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Crowes,All Join Hands,Live @ the Fillmore DVD

This is from the2005 tour,about 19 songs.Thebes will be glad to know it has a great version of"The Night They Drove ol'Dixie Down".Along with many of their great tunes it also has a faithful version of"Space Captain"(one of my favorites from "Mad Dogs and Englishmen".2ch,DD,DTS at $10 a great show,anytime you want.

Well I just seen it and it was an oustanding show! When I get the extra cash I will have to go and buy Thebe's recomendation "The Band" now. The night they drove old dixie down was great!

Larry Carlton's "Sapphire Blue". I got it cheap as a closeout from BMG, but it really is good. Some might dismiss it as "jazz lite" and true, no boundaries are pushed, but it's just so darned fun to listen too. The good sound helps. A solid four stars.

Elton John's "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy" on SACD is great. And if the surround mix is a little too agressive for your taste, the two-channel version has a fresh mix that beats the original hands down. Five stars for sure.

Agreed pmsummer, Steve Reich's Drumming is also amazing. He performed this live too when I saw him. Actually, that was the first time I heard the piece, went out and bought it immediately. You should have seen Reich. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone quite so compulsive/neurotic. He was literally, constantly, going around from drum to drum, and fine tuning the pitch of all the drums while the musicians were playing.

A little vintage rock and roll is in order for my weekly recommendation,..."James Gang" (Greatest Hits) with special attention to "Walk Away," "Woman," and "Tend My Garden."

Yes Joe Walsh was the big draw for this band but drummer Jim Fox, (the leader and one responsible for leading the band's rise to fame) and bass player Tom Kriss perhaps misssed out on a full share of glory because of Joe Walsh and his unique style.

Pete Townshend of "The Who" was so impressed by the James Gang that The Who brought the James Gang along on a European tour to open up for them.

Regards,

Michael Doucet with Beausoleil

Parlez-Nous A Boire

Folk/Cajun/Medieval/Swamp

LP

Arhoolie 5034

"His fiddle on his arm,

His bow in his hand,

He said he would play for them

Until he lost his shoe."

Pierrot Groulillette et Mamselle Josette

The Black Crowes,All Join Hands,Live @ the Fillmore DVD

Well I just seen it and it was an oustanding show! When I get the extra cash I will have to go and buy Thebe's recomendation "The Band" now. The night they drove old dixie down was great!

I hear ya Wheel,if you're a Crowes fan you have to dig it,your bro should be happy.

And now for something completely different.

Deep Purple-This Time Around-Live in Tokyo

This was realeased in Japan in the 70's,a short video was made and they used the horrific soundtrack to make the lp.The audio quality was so bad they never released it in the US.They went and dusted off the masters and retooled the whole thing with pretty good results for this double cd.It includes several never released songs from the concert and is the whole show.

If you're a Tommy Bolin fan its about as good a quality live as you'll get,and a must have.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers new double disc is pretty good. It's called "Stadium Arcadium". If you like the Chilis' this is for you. If you've never heard them, they are a great rock/funk/soul band.

Jeremy