Isn't the internet awesome??

wuzzzer

I just had to post a thread about the awesome deals and experiences I've had using the internet so far, mainly regarding electronics & speakers.

Last June I bought a set of new in the box RF-25 speakers for $460 including shipping from eBay. Six months later I found a pair of RF-7s that were 1 year old on craigslist for $1000. I bought the RF-7s and then I sold the RF-25s to fund the RF-7 purchase and MADE $150 more than I paid for them!

I've found that the RF-7s have sufficient bass for me so I unhooked my Definitive Technology subwoofer a couple weeks ago and planned on selling it on eBay. I didn't really want to have to pack up and ship such a heavy sub, though. A few days ago I ran across a 'Wanted' ad on craigslist for any type of Definitive Technology speakers. I emailed the person and shot him a price that was comparable to what the subs sold for on eBay. He agreed to a price and tomorrow I'm driving to deliver the sub to him since I already have to drive near where he works anyway.

I bought an Harman / Kardon 730 Twin powered receiver last October for $80. I just re-sold that on eBay for $133.51.

I had locally advertised a Klipsch center channel and two pairs of Definitive Technology bipole satellite/surround speakers, $75 for the Klipsch and $100/pair for the Def Techs. No takers for weeks. I put them up on eBay and one Def Tech pair sold for over $200, the Klipsch sold for $99 and the other Def Tech pair sold for $150.

Its just amazing what kind of deals you can get using the internet. While they might not be as good as the '$20 Cornwalls at a garage sale' type of story, a deal is a deal nonetheless!

that a great story and good pocket change for your bank account [;)]

I mean there are too many uneducated people buying stuff online today that ebay and craigslist tend to fleece people. I mean look at the klipsch ebay store, sometimes things go way over the real price...... But I guess if the buyer is willing to pay for it then it is a deal for him. Though I am absolutely happy with my rf-83 at 1600 [:-P]!!!!!

The Internet is good, but on the same token it's bad. If your selling to make a profit, it can be wonderful, but always remember, it is full of Not So nice People, selling product at times that isn't so good, or some money washing scam, or just out an out lies. Try selling a car on the Internet, the scammers come out of the woodwork. Every time I think of buying USED equipment, I end up buying new, because I don't trust E-bay, or Audiogon, or what have you. Better yet, how about people that claim to want to buy something, you E-mail back and forth, dicker price, and shipping, then they want it cheaper, don't have the money to pay for it, or never wanted it in the first place, now they have your E-mail address. One must be very Careful online, I pulled my Vette off the internet because of scammers and dreamers. I will never try to sell a car that way again, very unpleasant way of doing business for ME.

Congrats on your good deals.

I've occasionally made a few dollars on sales, not enough to offset losses from buying and selling gear.

Usually I consider myself happy I can buy a piece of used gear, listen for a season, and resell it for what I've got in it.

If you buy new gear, expect to take a bath if you sell it.

I've sold and purchased alot of items on eBay--more than twenty transactions in electronics-- And yes there are scammers and cheats out there, but I think they are are a very small minority. Most people are like me trying to get a good deal--

The worst situations I've had is from sellers with thousands of transactions that don't give a rats *** about customer service and don't care about negative feedback, I just bought a wide angle lens from a NYC dealer off eBay that didn't fit, and they promised to send adapters 4 times on their 1-800 number but never did-- they have a transaction guarantee on the listing thats worth nothing-- I'm afraid to send it back for a refund because they will "forget" to give the money back--

But, thats one in 200-- I've sold hundreds of pieces of jewelry with not one nonpaying bidder--

The worst situations I've had is from sellers with thousands of transactions that don't give a rats *** about customer service and don't care about negative feedback, I just bought a wide angle lens from a NYC dealer off eBay that didn't fit, and they promised to send adapters 4 times on their 1-800 number but never did-- they have a transaction guarantee on the listing thats worth nothing-- I'm afraid to send it back for a refund because they will "forget" to give the money back--

Tell me the address of the nyc dealer. I will go there myself and demand the adapter

I got all of my stuff right from the friendly folks on this forum. My

St-70 from one of "Guy Landau's" friends, my cornwalls from

"Tuned4Life, and my Mapletree audio 4a-se from "126Mhz" (now known as

NMR guy). I'll be getting new caps from BEC as soon as I email him

again and send him his dough (for a real nice price I'll add). Buying

stuff from ebay is kinda rough though, I always use the

nearest first option so I can go check

the items out locally.

I agree with the original post.I've sold lots of stuff to lots of good

people,never had a complaint.I've also purchased alot and almost always

got what I expected for the price.I would say I have been cautious and

very selective on purchases because "great shape"can mean different

things to different people(although I think most here know what it

means).I never looked at it as a money maker,just a way to try lots of

stuff at minimum cost.

I, too, have had great luck off the internet...all my antique tube radios except two were online purchases, mostly from eBay. The majority of my audio system also came from the internet, minus my dad's Cornwalls, his Technics 'table; my Nakamichi tape deck and Monster line conditioner were purchased from dealer's showrooms. My overall experience online has been very favorable so far, but you still have to be cautious of scammers out there. The only downside to the internet is all the online fraud which any of us could be victims to if we're not observant.

I'm sure not impressed. I bought my RS-35's and RC-35 as demo models from my local Klipsch dealer and paid about $150 less than those Klipsch ebay store refurbs are selling for-- and mine have the full factory warranty instead of a measly 90 days that Klipsch gives you on refurbs. On top of that, I got to see and listen to them first, which you can't do over the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the deal went through fine with the guy who bought my Definitive Tech subwoofer. I got there and he had cash in hand.

Funny thing is, I always take excellent care of my things. The sub had a couple very minor dings from being moved several times. I ask the guy where he wants me to put the sub in his vehicle and he opens the tailgate of his pickup and drops the sub in and slides it in with a big shove, no doubt scraping up the bottom of the sub.

Then he just closed the tailgate and left it sitting there. Anybody could have walked by and stolen it right from his truck. Plus it was very cloudy and looked like it would rain. Oh well, its his now. Depressing to see something you treated very well for years now be treated like crap by some else. [:(]

I am not a fan of eBay (except the Klipsch store) and generally do not like to do business over the Internet. The Management Information Systems faculty where I work are all cautious of doing business on the Internet due to poor security etc. They follow the rule of caveat emptor.

I make an exception for board members that have been here for a reasonable time without issues becoming apparent. In short, there are good places and not so good places on the Internet. This is one of the all too scarce good places that has many fine members.

Bill

You didn't even mention the women of the internet yet

Ah yes the reason the net works so well and credit cards are charged for small amounts often.

Overall the net is a welcome addition and mostly positive. From good deals to the people you may find and today a PC with no internet is a PC missing a vital link.