Good quality recorded DVD concerts (DTS and DD 5.1)

Mike Lindsey

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just watched a concert that I hadn't viewed in years and found it quite good in parts: An All-Star Tribute to Brian Wison. The arrangement to "Good Vibrations" makes the disc worth the price. Concert features Ricky Martin, Paul Simon, Vince Gill, Evan and Jaron, Elton John, Davis Crosby, Carly Simon and Billy Joel, among others. In DD/DTS and 1:78:1 Widescreen.

Wow -- Ben Folds with the Perth Symphony Orchestra is terrific. As each song finished I kept thinking, damn I wish I was there-- Lush backing to Folds' melodic songs and a hell of a show. Fold's banter between songs really gives insight to the origination of some of his songs that I used to wonder where did he get THAT lyric from? Funny as hell-- and his made up song Rock This ***** and getting the huge orchestra to back him on it is stellar and again funny as hell.

Thing is, Folds is goofy looking. He comes out wearing a crappy old shirt you saw slackers wear in high school, but damn he can play the piano, sing like an angel, and rock the house with an orchestra.

I'm glad he's not a household name -- this show is incredible-- beautifully recorded too --

Damn seti that sounds right up my alley. Just an fyi...a lot of people don't realize that Gary Lucas played guitar on the amazing Jeff Buckley album Grace.

This band is unreal.....magic even : )...... The only problem is the DVD is a different region so I have only seen it at a friends house as he has an all reagion player. I'd like to meet the guy the decided on Region Codes and kick him square in the nuts. We have plans to transfer the audio to CD so if your interested the audio track let me know.

If you like Zappa and Beefheart..... this is even better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Whew...................

That's about all I can say after having gone back to 2006 and going through not only this thread, but others where forum members have posted recommendations for DVD concerts.

As an aside.......it was especially difficult when I would come across a recommendation from Old Buckster. [:(]

Anyhow.....after going through the threads, I have updated my M$ Excel spreadsheet. So.....as before, if any of you would like a copy of this "labor of love", just send me an email at my work address which is tom(dot)adams(dot)iii@gulfstream.com. And don't send your request from this forum 'cause our mail system will sniff it out and bin it into the trash automatically.

It's too bad that we can't upload a .xls file which would make this easier.

Tom

ps: And this list will be just in time for you to give to your significant other for them to buy a stocking stuffer for you!

• 1 month later...

Whew...................

That's about all I can say after having gone back to 2006 and going through not only this thread, but others where forum members have posted recommendations for DVD concerts.

As an aside.......it was especially difficult when I would come across a recommendation from Old Buckster. Sad

Anyhow.....after going through the threads, I have updated my M$ Excel spreadsheet. So.....as before, if any of you would like a copy of this "labor of love", just send me an email at my work address which is tom(dot)adams(dot)iii@gulfstream.com. And don't send your request from this forum 'cause our mail system will sniff it out and bin it into the trash automatically.

It's too bad that we can't upload a .xls file which would make this easier.

Tom

ps: And this list will be just in time for you to give to your significant other for them to buy a stocking stuffer for you!

Tom,

I just went through the whole thread. I feel the same way about Old Buckster. I miss him. In many ways he was my favorite Klipsch guy. It's very generous of you to offer your spread sheet. I would like a copy. I'll send you a email.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up TOTO: Falling in Between Live, and it is awesome!!! In this DVD you get, Steve Lukather on Guitars and some vocals, the awesome Simon Phillips on Drums, Bobby Kimball with vocals, the fantastic Greg Phillinganes on keyboards, vocals, Tony Spinner - Guitars and vocal, and last not certainly NOT least...Bass Guitar...LELAND SKLAR!!! Check this one out, really great sound, really well done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

THE MAGIC BAND

http://www.subdiva.com/magicband/index.htm

This is my favorite Live DVD. The Magic Band was Captain Beefhearts band who he trained through endless cult like band practices and while I think he was too hard on the band he lead one of the tightest fastest versatile backup bands in history of rock. This performance is just The Magic Band in 2003 simply amazing.....no vocals just instumentals which is perfect because the playing is so intense.

a review I found

Turning Tricks

Beefheart sidemen rekindle that old time boogie.

AT THE All tomorrowís Parties weekender in April 2003, The Magic Band publicly recreated the Beefheart sound for the first time in over 20 years. Crowís Milk, Elaine Shepherdís John Peel-narrated reunion doc, follows ex-Beefheart men John ìDrumboî French, Mark ìRockette Mortonî Boston, Gary Lucas, Danny Walley and Robert Williams from tentative first rehearsals in California and comeback LP Back to the Front through to ATP and the same years triumphant Shepherdís Bush Empire gig. With the reclusive Good Capín himself long retired from the music circus, the implications were daunting. Was it merely a case of old farts at play or could they really pull this off without him?

Thankfully, the latter won out. Besides the rigorous reassembling of the music, the key to the whole venture lay with drummer French. A veteran of Safe as Milk and the Trout Mask Replica sessions (bassist Boston, too, was holed up in that cramped Ensenada Drive house while Van Vliet cracked the bullwhip for months on end), Drumbo makes the huge leap to frontman, more in homage to his mentors growling vocalese than as direct replacement. The Shepherds Bush Empire gig itself is extraordinary. Guitarists Lucas and Walley create viscous tension that never slackens through instrumental takes on Abba Zabba and Veterans Day Poppy, before French steps up to the mic for Floppy Boot Stomp, China Pig, Moonlight on Vermont and beyond. As it turns o ut, hes a revelation. Eighty minutes of fast, dense, feverish exaction.

Seti--I know Don, aka Captain Beefheart--well, i should say that once upon a time, we both lived in the same town and I've met him a few times. He has been over to my brother's house to hang out. He has some very interesting stories. After years of nobody knowing who he is, i learn a lady at work is a fan of his and now i read this thread. In fact, just yesterday i was in a discussion trying to figure out what was going through his mind when he wrote 81 Poop Hatch. no music, just him reading a poem of his--very cool and creative lyrics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Stevie Nicks in Chicago dvd. GOOD mix. Although she is a bit wierd, it was a pretty good show with a good mix of songs.

5.1DD mix. Hey! I just realized it's going to be my 10th year here at this forum. Time goes way too fast. It's not fair. [:P]

Take care

Mike