Good quality recorded DVD concerts (DTS and DD 5.1)

Mike Lindsey

OB, those prices are from http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/

The great thing about them is free shipping as well. Sometimes the cd/dvd can be cheaper at Amazon, but the free shipping generally makes it cheaper to shop Deep Discount.

Mike

Mike they have Standing in the Shadows of Motown for $5.99, buy that disc, if you really don't like it, I buy it back from you, GREAT DISC, great sound, must have.............

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few more

Allman Bros. -Live@ the Beacon

Aerosmith-You Gotta Move

Bad Co -Merchants of Cool

Blue Oyster Cult-Long Days Night

Blues Travelers-Live @ Red Rocks

CSN -Daylight Again

The Cult-Live

Doobie Bros.-either live dvd is great

Dread Zeppelin-several live at Dread Zeppelin.com

John Fogerty-premonition

Foghat-2 centuries of boogie

Guess Who -Live

Jackyl-Live

Kansas-can't recall the name but its live and good

Steve Marriot-Packet of 3,only 2ch but killer(if you like the Pie)

Marshall Tucker-Live in the Garden State

Nazereth-Glassgow

Tom Petty-Fillmore

Kieth Richards and the expensive wino's

Steppenwolf-Live in Louisville,one of the best concerts on dvd,fantastic sound

Steely Dan-Two Against Nature,a must if you want to hear what your set can do.

Thats a few I consider to be pretty good recordings,along with a bunch that have been mentioned(Joe Satriani in San Fran for example).

Here are two with really excellent audio and fabulous performances.

Lucinda Williams, Live at Austin city limits. Lucinda is at the top of her country-blues rock&roll and she has a back-up guitar army that is fabulous. This one is eye-candy and sounds super.

Another is Richard Thompson Live at Austin City Limits. Richard Thompson is a brilliant guitarist and this DVD is a showcase for both his electric and acoustic work. He is backed up with a drummer and a stand-up base that will work your sub-woofer down to the lowest octave. Great sound.

Oh, PS, my current personal favorite, is Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live at Montreaux. (Crank it up!!)

I've done write ups of all of these in detail recently here.

My best - in random order:

Heart: Alive in Seattle is one of the best I have and it's mixed only in 5.0 not 5.1 which doesn't seem to matter much on our system.

Peter Gabriel - Growing up Live Unusual and excellent, in-the-round concert.

A Concert for George (Harrison) - Lots of stars and well recorded.

Seal: Live in Paris - An intimate, sophisicated, small venue concert by this incredible vocalist.

Elton John: Dream Ticket Box Set - Incredible, 3 concerts (one with strings) and videos. John at his best. Everyone but Dee Murray shows up.

Eagles: Hell Freezes Over - Sheer perfection.

Tina Turner: Live in Amsterdam - Stunning....and those legs!

Peter Frampton: Live in Detroit - This is a great one to collect because original keyboardist Bob Mayo passed away a year or two after it was filmed and he performs on this one. Outstanding!

Honorable Mentions - random order:

INXS: Live Baby, Live

Led Zeppelin (2003)

Animusic 2

Joe Cocker: Across from Midnight Tour

Fleetwood Mac: Live in Boston

Somewhat disappointing - random:

Genesis: The way we walk Live in Concert

Moody Blues: A Night at Red Rocks

Journey: Greatest Hits (Half concerts half videos) before Steve Perry left.

Queen: Live at Wembley Stadium (The band was just plain sloppy that night.) With Mercury

Thanks again, guys! I see a few repeats, so I am probably going to also pick up:

Heart: Alive in Seattle

Led Zeppelin (2003)

Elton John: Dream Ticket Box Set (I think I have his first 9 or 9 albums thru Rock of the Westies)

Still waiting on my original order (should be here Friday)...

Mike

A few more

Allman Bros. -Live@ the Beacon

Aerosmith-You Gotta Move

Bad Co -Merchants of Cool

Blue Oyster Cult-Long Days Night

Blues Travelers-Live @ Red Rocks

CSN -Daylight Again

The Cult-Live

Doobie Bros.-either live dvd is great

Dread Zeppelin-several live at Dread Zeppelin.com

John Fogerty-premonition

Foghat-2 centuries of boogie

Guess Who -Live

Jackyl-Live

Kansas-can't recall the name but its live and good

Steve Marriot-Packet of 3,only 2ch but killer(if you like the Pie)

Marshall Tucker-Live in the Garden State

Nazereth-Glassgow

Tom Petty-Fillmore

Kieth Richards and the expensive wino's

Steppenwolf-Live in Louisville,one of the best concerts on dvd,fantastic sound

Steely Dan-Two Against Nature,a must if you want to hear what your set can do.

Thats a few I consider to be pretty good recordings,along with a bunch that have been mentioned(Joe Satriani in San Fran for example).

Hey Fish... elaborate more on the Tom Petty DVD... I'm a fan but don't have any video of him. I have seen him 2-3 times in concert & they all were excellent shows! I may look into getting this DVD.

Yo Fish, same thing Joe asks, more info on Petty; while I got you here;

Keith Richards and the x-pensive Wino's; I truly believe that Keith is the Stones, is that a great set or what. What a band the Wino's are, talented musicians in their own right, multi talented, Bass player and drummer keep switching instruments. Waddy Wachtel is a great guitarist, Sarah Dash with some fine vocals, and the MAN, Keith, just being Keith, not the Rock Star, the musician, enjoying himself, and old friend Bobby Keyes on sax, Boy I love this stuff. Sorry, I get carried away, don't mean to; Keith Richards is my Brother, What can I say...........KEEF..........??

Steve Mariott looks interesting too, Smokin', Street Rats......the Pie indeed!!!!!!!without Framton please..........

I think I need to get some new DVD's today, home ALONE for the week-end, H2's still need more break-in......could be trouble...

Hey Joe,if you like Tom Petty you'll want this show.As mentioned above its really,really good and the set list is the best,so let's get to the point,lets......The audio quality is very good and the band is tight,top notch.

Obuck,I had the cd of the K.Richards show for a while,when I found the dvd I was mucho happy.As you said,Richards just havin' fun with a great band,its too rude mon.If you are a S.Marriott fan (as I am a big one)you have to own this show.The show is part of the "Packet of Three" show,and the sound quality is surprisingly good.They do 30 days in the Hole and some of the Pie greats,again,a must for Pie fans.Oh,they do a killer version of "Walkin' the Dog"too.

Listened to the Alison Krauss last night and all I can say is Hell Yeah! Simply stunning, and wonderful music! She can also spin a yarn! Whoever recommended this one I sincerely appreciate it! It will get lots of play over the years.

Gonna sit down with the Peter Gabriel today, and plan on playing the Dave Mason and the Bob Marley on my birthday tomorrow. Will update after listening to each.

Mike

I'm a huge Petty and the heartbreakers' fan. If anyone is a fan they should buy Soundstage as well as the Fillmore one. Which both have been mentioned I just want to second their recomendations.

Fillmore= Tom in a GREAT mood with a setlist most Petty fans will appreciate.

Soundstage= a little more professionalism, and Tom's attitude is still great but slightly toned down compared to his party vibe. It's there just not as prominent as the Fillmore show. They get rootsy with some rockabilly, and bluesy stuff that you would probally never see at a regular Petty and Heartbreaker show. Were talkin real old school stuff here.

I absolutely love them both I couldn't choose between the two personally. A while back I would of chose High grass dogs, but after viewing Soundstage a few times it's impossible to choose a favorite. They both are a must have for fans especially if you like to know what inspired this band other than the obvious. Now if only we could get an old concert from Petty. I just love the real old tunes.

Picky I must put that HEART concert on my short list. Incredible singers and guitar pickers.

Hey Mike, waiting to hear about Marley and Dave??

Been a busy last few days!

I wasn't very impressed with the recording of the Marley as the soundstage is all right in the middle (too much music coming from one place), but was impressed with the amount of bass on this recording. I probably need to listen to it again (love the music) to give it another chance.

Just briefly listened to the Mason and liked it, although wasn't in the room much when it was on. Will need to give a serious listen to it as well. I have seen Dave twice in the last 10 years (both times at the Birchmere in Arlington, Va) and he is excellent live, so I am very familiar with his music.

Also got a chance to listen to the Peter Gabriel dvd and liked it a lot. Not as good a recording as the Alison Krauss, but still very good, with some real good songs on it. His voice is still excellent.

I have also listened to the ELO Zoom dvd and liked it as well. No violin but 2 pretty hot babes playing cello. Jeff's voice is still very good, although about 2 octave lower than before. The music and recording is real good on this one though.

BTW, all 5 of these dvd's have a DTS track on them. Based on these recommendations I bought a few more yesterday:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Heart - Live in Seattle

Tom Petty - High Grass Dogs (Live from the Fillmore)

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Lucinda Williams - Live in Austin, Tx (Austin City Limits)

Richard Thompson - Live in Austin, Tx (Austin City Limits)

Will let you know what I think of these when they arrive.

Thanks again,

Mike

Wicked kewl that you picked up the Lucinda Williams and Richard Thompson DVDs, I think they are excellent.

Be honest and let me know what you think.

I'll bet you really like the Tom Petty too.

I'd also like to promote the Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD and the Eagles - Farewell Concert I, Live in Melborne concert.

Crank it up!!!!

Wicked kewl that you picked up the Lucinda Williams and Richard Thompson DVDs, I think they are excellent.

Be honest and let me know what you think.

I'll bet you really like the Tom Petty too.

I'd also like to promote the Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD and the Eagles - Farewell Concert I, Live in Melborne concert.

Crank it up!!!!

Well, besides trying some stuff that I am very familiar with I also want to broaden my horizons with some material that I am not familiar with. You seemed pretty impressed with both of these dvd's so I thought I would give them a listen. Besides, I thoroughly have been enjoying the Alison Krauss and wouldn't be doing so if it were not for this Forum.

I'll let you know what I think of them. What can you tell me about the Farewell dvd? How does it compare to HFO?

BTW, my ex-girlfriend of 4 years was from Rockland Me, and she used to say wicked good all the time. I miss hearing it... [:D]

Mike

Just listened to the Dave Mason again and must say I think it's excellent! Just wish it was another hour longer! Thanks, ob!

Very well recorded, and Dave hasn't lost a thing in the 40 plus years he's been doing this! Jeez, the man must be damn near 60 and he's still got it! Another keeper!

Mike