Good quality recorded DVD concerts (DTS and DD 5.1)

Mike Lindsey

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One more point on Eric Clapton......................That might be the last DVD with Eric playing with that band, those guys have played together for almost 20 years.......................Talented group of people......................Speaking only for myself, One more Car, One more Rider, if a person had to pick just one Clapton DVD, that's the one I'd pick, as much as I liked Hyde Park, One more covers it all...............

Steve.................If you don't like DELBERT, I'll buy it from you, but you MUST watch him do "Dreams" first...................Remember, that Austin City Limits is from 1983....................Personally speaking, Delbert is BETTER today than that 1983 performance, but it is well worth owning that disc just to show how he progressed over the years with song writing and singing skills................and, If I was on your back, you'd know it.....................

OB

I agree with you even though Hyde Park is excellent, more bluesy, sheriff & old love are incredible.

I really like Delbert, to bad the sound isn't quite reference.

JT

My offer still stands to the first buyer,Moe. live @ the Fillmore.If you buy it,listen to it all and don't love I'll give you $15 for it.Somebody,just try something different,those old worn out scales and chords will still be there when you get back.

Fish

Kudos. This is a toe tapping hard hitting feel good band...near perfect audio & visual recording mix; camera doesn't jump every 3 seconds. Man it's great to discover new music. They sound a little like BareNaked Ladies to me.

Give me more like this...Thanks

Fish, I'm glad you reminded me. I have now watched/listened to this "new" to me music/band twice.

This is the type of music that I need to get to know a bit and enjoy it a bit more each time I put it on. The musicianship is awesome. These guys are all superb musicians. The two lead guitarist are fabulous and the rest of the band is excllent as well. This band has so many influences built into it/them, that everytime I listen I hear someone else in their music, even though it is very original to them.

I hear the Allman Brothers, Carlos Santana, Al Dimeola, even a little Clapton. They make complex sophisticated music. This isn't just rock and roll, or blues or jazz, but it is a wild mix of all of that, but I hesitate ot call it fusion or alternative.

The audio and video is also excellent. Very nicely produced and the Fillmore in SanFran is such a beautiful concert venue. I've got a lot of concert DVDs from there. Boz Scaggs, CSN, Satriani.

I need to listen to them a couple more times before I give them the ultimate thumbs up. For my taste I might like them more if they were a little more jazz, or a litte more blues or a litte more rock and roll. It's a band that I can feel I can enjoy a bit more with every sitting, especially their excellent musicianship, but I'm still working on their soul.

They really are excellent! The production is excellent as well, both audio and video. A real good add to my collection, but I won't tell you they will replace Eric Clapton or Tom Petty as my favorites.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to suggest a really good dvd I just picked up.Gary Moore and Friends- A tibute to Phil Lynnot(Thin Lizzy front man)It has most of the band members doin' some great songs.The video/set is top notch,the audio is premo.If you like Blues/Rock,killer guitar work on some Les Pauls and your system sounding it's best in DTS,try it you'll like it.

• 2 months later...

I have enjoyed this thread....got a lot of good ideas here.

Here's a sleeper that I found by accident (don't remember if it's already been mentioned): Santana & Shorter, Live at the Montreaux Jazz Festival-1988.

This is Carlos (Santana) and Wayne (Shorter) in a "pick-up" band for one tour. It did not appear on either's discographies. It is typical of the 80's jazz-fusion sound done in excellent fashion with other notables such as Patrice Rushin (keys), Chester Thompson (keys-organ), Alphonso Johnson (bass), and good percussion. The video is 4:3 but looks OK. The camera work displays the artists quite well and is not "hectic". There are a couple of interviews interspersed in the show; however, they don't overlap any music and you can skip them easily if you want. Here's the treat: The audio is in excellent 96/24 DTS in both 5.1 and 2 channel (for the stereo snobs). It sounds great!

Enjoy

Roger...

BTW...I can't remember who recommended them, but I really enjoyed Lucinda Williams (live at Austin) and Richard Thompson (also live at Austin). Two very good DVD shows already mentioned in this thread.

JERRY LEE LEWIS ; The Last Man Standing.............NOW ON DVD........Jerry Lee front and center stage...This man is a LIVING LEGEND, and many join him on stage....Great Guest's..............OUTSTANDING BAND.............One of Rock's Founding Fathers..............

TRAFFIC : THE LAST EXIT...........Winwood Shines........Great Performance.......Some Old Classic Traffic with some new sounds thrown in...........

>>> BTW...I can't remember who recommended them, but I really enjoyed Lucinda Williams (live at Austin) and Richard Thompson (also live at Austin). Two very good DVD shows already mentioned in this thread.

I recommended those and I'm glad you liked them.

Like the blues? and great guitar, here's a real great one for you and 3 concert DVD set al done in fabulus DTS

Carlos presents Buddy Guy, Gatemouth Brown and Bobby Parker at Montreaux 2004 ...This is like 3 DVDs in one set. the Buddy Guy DVD alone is worth the scratch.

B000I5YDAU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V45294833_SS50

I'm just also recommedning ..HIGHLY... recommending the Mark Knopfler & EmmyLou Harris concert, this DVD is just fabulous!

The quaility of the technical aspects is superb, the music is great and the musicisians are fabulous.

Put this one on the MUST HAVE LIST.

it's also a DVD/CD set, and the two are slightly different.

I'm just also recommedning ..HIGHLY... recommending the Mark Knopfler & EmmyLou Harris concert, this DVD is just fabulous!

The quaility of the technical aspects is superb, the music is great and the musicisians are fabulous.

Put this one on the MUST HAVE LIST.

it's also a DVD/CD set, and the two are slightly different.

ABOUT TIME! [:)]

THE MAGIC BAND

http://www.subdiva.com/magicband/index.htm

This is my favorite Live DVD. The Magic Band was Captain Beefhearts band who he trained through endless cult like band practices and while I think he was too hard on the band he lead one of the tightest fastest versatile backup bands in history of rock. This performance is just The Magic Band in 2003 simply amazing.....no vocals just instumentals which is perfect because the playing is so intense.

a review I found

Turning Tricks
Beefheart sidemen rekindle that old time boogie.

AT THE All tomorrowís Parties weekender in April 2003, The Magic Band publicly recreated the Beefheart sound for the first time in over 20 years. Crowís Milk, Elaine Shepherdís John Peel-narrated reunion doc, follows ex-Beefheart men John ìDrumboî French, Mark ìRockette Mortonî Boston, Gary Lucas, Danny Walley and Robert Williams from tentative first rehearsals in California and comeback LP Back to the Front through to ATP and the same years triumphant Shepherdís Bush Empire gig. With the reclusive Good Capín himself long retired from the music circus, the implications were daunting. Was it merely a case of old farts at play or could they really pull this off without him?
Thankfully, the latter won out. Besides the rigorous reassembling of the music, the key to the whole venture lay with drummer French. A veteran of Safe as Milk and the Trout Mask Replica sessions (bassist Boston, too, was holed up in that cramped Ensenada Drive house while Van Vliet cracked the bullwhip for months on end), Drumbo makes the huge leap to frontman, more in homage to his mentors growling vocalese than as direct replacement. The Shepherds Bush Empire gig itself is extraordinary. Guitarists Lucas and Walley create viscous tension that never slackens through instrumental takes on Abba Zabba and Veterans Day Poppy, before French steps up to the mic for Floppy Boot Stomp, China Pig, Moonlight on Vermont and beyond. As it turns o ut, hes a revelation. Eighty minutes of fast, dense, feverish exaction.