Good quality recorded DVD concerts (DTS and DD 5.1)

Mike Lindsey

Late to the party maybe...but...The Cream video is real Good...that is Rock History...Ginger Baker still has it....some great jamming going on there , am proud to own such footage...there are parts of that , that are flat out evil it's so good............I certainly like Concert DVD's.............................

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey UFOBuster, you're not to late for the party around here. We like to keep this thread alive.

Regarding EC and the Cream reunion, I wrote up my opinion a while ago, which was I liked One More Car One More Rider better, but that the Cream DVD certainly is good and has it's place on the shelf. Like you say, historic, if nothing else. Some great moments in it and lot's of emotion.

I'll Netflix the Diana Krall and Tori Amos DVDs too, thanks for the suggestions. I did Netflix the Bela Fleck DVD a while ago, after seeing him at Newport this summer. Like ytou say, great musicians and very different sounds, and audiophiles delight. Not exactly my cup of Joe, but a good performance just the same.

Two of my favorites that you might like, are Lucinda Williams Live At Austin City Limits, and also Richard Thompson Live at Austin City Limits. The Thompson DVD is a fabulous little folk trio, with incredible sound from the stand-up bass, and the Lucinda DVD is a guitar army with Lucinda singing country blues and it rocks!

I'd love to hear more of your favorites.

OK Steve, here is a couple I just ordered from Amazon.com.........

Very excited about Delbert Mc Clinton Live from Austin, Texas.....Austin City Limits Show from 1983 I believe...................Austin City Limits says all I need to know;

Also got a Bad Company set..........forget the name of it ...........I think Paul Rodgers is one of Rock's Greatest Voices..........I have always liked his vocals......Bad Company to me is one of the Greatest Supergroups ever assembled, and lived up to the "Supergroup" name..................

I really like Concert style DVD's.................You always have the MUSIC to listen to, plus you can sit dowm and WATCH them perform their Magic....................The very worst thing that can happen is, You own a LIVE Album that you can watch.....................

Bad Co,Merchants of Cool? That's a good show with decent sound,Paul does have one of the greatest voices in rock.

On another note,I really wish I could share with everybody this new dvd I just got.It's Moe,live at the Fillmore.This is quite simply one of the best bands I've come across since I was a teenager.Two top notch guitar players w/a first rate band and fantastic songs.The audio of their cd's and dvd is unrivaled in my collection,they really care.If these guys would have been around in the 60/70's they would be a legendary super group by now.I'm glad they were'nt or I'd be semi burnt out on em' like all the other music I've been forced to listen to for 30 some years for lack of creativity by newer bands.If you ever thought about trying something you have not heard a thousand times Moe is the band to try.

Merchants of Cool, that be it...............If you order over $25. of stuff, you get free shipping, easy to order 2.......................MOE...wasn't there just some MOE fest out by Rochester in Sept.? Thought I remember some newbie out of Boston heading out to it, tried to get me to go................I can't wait to get my hands on that Delbert one, I realize it's old, but I don't care..........I don't know about you Fish,(well, I do ) I really like the Concert DVD's...I don't see how you can go wrong..............Just wish I hadn't jumped so deep into VHS Concert tapes.........hard to watch and listen after DVD's..........................EH?

I agree ob,I think concert dvd's are the best buy in home enterainment.You get the show and the music for as little as $10.I also have quite a few vhs concerts,some of the best and not available on dvd I transfered to dvd.

Thanks for the tips, Steve.

I just got the Lucinda Williams (live in Austin) that you recommended and it's what you say it is. It falls into the category of ANY DVD that I'm likely to enjoy if it exhibits good musicianship with great sound. What's the point of having a good sound system if the "output", "content", or whatever is crap!

I haven't gottent the Richard Thompson (live in Austin) DVD yet (not available locally) but found a YouTube clip of it....I just ordered it from amazon.

Some other boards that I monitor lead me to Peter Gabriel's "Secret World-Live". Was it mentioned here? I don't remember. It's an older release filmed in Italy, but it was an excellent show if you're a Gabriel fan.

Let me know what you think about the Tori Amos (Welcome to Sunny Florida) after you've heard it.

Back to the board later with some of my own favs.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't go back thru this thread, but

Sting "All This Time". High quality audio & video. This has an interesting documentary track as a bonus feature. The show was recorded at his

Italian villa on 9-11-01. They almost didn't play that night. Worth a look.

Sorry, untill you buy it, I'll keep bringing him up, Delbert McClinton Austin City Limits 1983, you are cheating yourself by passing on this Talented Man, it is a great disc full of great songs.....................STEVE.........BUY THIS DISC.............anyone else reading this....try this guy, you will thank me in the end......................BLIND FAITH is also good, if you are into Blind Faith...................of course, The Pulse, Pink Floyd will change your mind about these guys, David Gilmore is the Man.......Great Show................that Santana looks good.......................

What else looks good out there that I can order for X-mas?

Nora Jones, Live at The House of Blues in New Orleans. One of my favorites, pretty mellow, but recorded well.

Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans

Derek Trucks Band. This DVD got some good reviews, although I still have not had a chance to watch it yet. I have seen him with the Alman Bros and was quite impressed, so I'm looking forward to finding time to watch this one.

The Derek Trucks Band - Songlines Live!

Buck, I'm confused, I bought two Delbert McClinton CDs, based on your say so. The Austin City Limits Live, and also a newere one called Nothing Personal. I liked them, but they are CDs, not DVDs are you telling me he also has a DVD of the Austin City Limits show?

Buck, I'm confused, I bought two Delbert McClinton CDs, based on your say so. The Austin City Limits Live, and also a newere one called Nothing Personal. I liked them, but they are CDs, not DVDs are you telling me he also has a DVD of the Austin City Limits show?

Delbert McClinton - Live from Austin, TX . This is a dvd, not reference quality but good enough if your a fan which I have been for about 10 yrs.

Wanna hear some music in DTS HI FI on dvd?Run,don't even walk down and pick up MOE. Live at the Fillmoe(Ha..)It's the closest to perfect I've seen,greeeat songs,lotsa beautiful guitar work and,great colors and video,absolutly exciting! If you loved all the great rock bands from back in the day this is your chance to once again hear something special in true HIFI.

Fish, I'm going to pick this up. I seem to remember either you, or it might have been ScooterDog mentioned these guys as being really excellent.

That's good enough for me. It's ordered! I'll let you know what I think week after X-mas!

Thanks for the suggestion! Nice to see some great new talent getting some momentum.