Connecting to recv'r KSW 12

kmann

I am very lost here so any help is appreciated. I have a early model Technics SAGX 490. The current set up is speakers to sub, sub to rec'vr. Problem is with the volume cranked full blast I can still hardly hear anything. Sub sounds nice but something tells me this all could sound better. the speaker wires go into the high level (in an out) an the one right next to it- leaving the woofer to go into the last two on the end, Putting the rec'vr on surround sound gives the best sound the other option is 3 stereo? So steps would be just awesome!! I tried to figure out which rec'vr I have (LTR etc) I have no idea what those are and found nothing by doing a search on the forum.

Wait a minute an RSW12 has no speaker(high level inputs).There are two main ways to connect these to your receiver.

Note I am asuming your receiver has no line level subwoofer out.

First is not too practical as you would use monitor outs to take the low level signal and route it using standard shielded PHONO jacks to your subs's line in.This way you would have to increase the volume as you increase the volume on your receiver.

The second would be to get a Paradigm X20 sub box with high level inss and outs,this box has aline level out to send the low frequency to your sub.

Posting a pic of your receiver's back would help

Here is a pic of what is currently set up- I can't get both speakers to work and the sub, If both speakers are working the sub is not, if the sub is working the right? is not working. By rearranging we did get sound back but still not 100% with the new problems

Your problem is that you have the left speaker from your 'A' pair of speakers and the left speaker from your 'B' pair of speakers hooked up. Here's what you do:

On the back of the receiver where the speaker wire is connected you can see that at the top it says R-B-L and R-A-L. The L and R in each area is for Left and Right. What you want to do is move the wires that are currently connected to the L in R-B-L and move them to the R in R-A-L. I hope it makes sense.

Then just make sure that the speaker wire that's connected to L (Left) is hooked up to the Left input on the subwoofer and then goes to the Left speaker. Also make sure that the speaker wire that's now connected to R (Right) is hooked up to the Right input on the subwoofer and then goes to the Right speaker.

This should fix your problems. Please let us know if this helps!

P.S. The reason why there is an A and B output where the speaker wire goes is that you can hook up two pairs of speakers at the same time. With how I recommended you to hook your speakers up, they will be hooked up to the A output. So on the front of the receiver make sure the output for speaker pair A is selected and always leave the output for speaker pair B turned off.

Also your subwoofer has a volume knob that you can use to blend it with your main speakers as best as possible. Best way to do that is to sit where you normally listen to music or watch TV and put on a CD that has some songs you're familiar with that have some decent bass. Start with the volume knob (sometimes called level input) as low as possible. Then have someone slowly turn the knob up until you like how the subwoofer sounds with your main speakers. You shouldn't have to adjust that knob much, if ever after that.

Looking at the pics...yep Wuzzer is correct.

PS Clean the wiring a bit,the bare wires are exposed to much.

If you have a soldering iron and have soldering experience tin the ends(bare wire),just make sure they are no longer than 10mm long.Making sure they fit in the clip speaker terminals,the sub side should not present any problems.

That pic looks like my krell master reference,I can't see it.[;)]

No no its the Krell Ubber Master Von Schwartzkopf Reference using four modified 24" woofers capable of 8 inches of linear travel! [:#]

This is not an RSW12 back panel I see in the pic.

Have everything on the A side and still am having trouble getting the left speaker to work- So from the rec'vr the wires should go to each high level out put for the Left and Right and should the speakers go to the center group of left and right sectors?

Have everything on the A side and still am having trouble getting the left speaker to work- So from the rec'vr the wires should go to each high level out put for the Left and Right and should the speakers go to the center group of left and right sectors?

From the receiver the wires go to each high level input, not output. Then hook the high level output to the speakers themselves. Also, there is a volume control, or level control knob on the back of the subwoofer. Make sure that isn't turned all the way down.