RF-7 vs. RF-83

Bonzo

Hi guys,

I have been away for awhile dabbling in the dark side of audio.[6] Well, I'm back because I have seen the light! I am looking to buy new speakers and have an "in" with a dealer. Has anyone compared the RF-7 to the new RF-83? I have listened to the RF-7 in the past and was very impressed with their overall performance even with modest equipment. I hear Klipsch is dropping the RF-7 and want to jump on a pair quick before they are gone. I would consider the RF-83 but can't seem to find a pair to listen to. Any help would be appreciated! Oh, it's good to be back![:D]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bonzo, my drumming buddy! How's the skins man?

I've heard them both, but not side by side- although I"m sure there are some here who might have had that experience. I think the new design may have taken care of that slight 'hole in the middle of the RF7 design. At any rate - three woofers at 8" is more diaphram and less piston movement than the two at 10", presumably less distortion would result.

Stick around this time. So what is the 'dark side'.....

I joined the dark side of photography with digial camera last month- scary huh?

Michael

Hey Michael my friend, great to hear from you!

The skins are pretty good. I've been playing in a "power trio" lately. I even get to play guitar a bit and sing! I save my singing for the end of the gig to clear the place out at quitting time! I picked up The Cream DVD live at the RAH, got us inspired!

I got a wild hair and bought some JBL 4430 Studio Monitors. Had to re-foam the woofers, naturally, but they do sound very good! I just don't have the power to do them justice nor the room. They also have ZERO WAF, so they must go! Have them sold to a Lansing Forum member. He's a great guy and one hell of a bass player!

Always liked the sound of the RF-7's but didn't think they were much of an improvement over the old KLF-10's I had. Lots more money though! I would like to hear a pair of the RF-83's. I'm going to The SF Bay area this weekend. Maybe I'll find them there?

Digital huh, welcome to the 21st century Michael! Look at me talking, I like horn speakers and CLASSIC ROCK AND ROLL!

Cheers,

Mark

I decided to go with the RF-7's. Did a listening session with them at a local dealer. As I remembered, great soundstage, tight bass without bloat and seemless integration between the horns and woofers! I ordered a pair in cherry which should be here by next week. Only going to be driving them with a 100 watt Yammy receiver for now but will certainly be looking at more power. Any suggestions on an integrated amp would be appreciated.

Well, the distributer my dealer uses says there are no more RF-7's available, at least on the west coast. The black RF-83's are shipping now, cherry in a week or so. I guess I will go with the RF-83 in cherry. I did a search and have found good reviews on the forum. It will actually work out better size wise as, in my room, width is an issue. I would love to have the Cornwall III's but they are just too big! They will be used in a dedicated two channel system. Looking at the specs, they are rated to go lower than the RF-7's. I hope that is usable bass? I am basically buying them as a leap of faith as I have not been able to audition them yet. Fortunately, the dealer is giving me a two week audition period in my home to see if I like them. If not, he said he would use them as a demo pair and I would go to plan B, whatever that is? Hope to have some input on them soon.

As luck would have it, I got a reply to a want ad I placed on Audiogon some time ago. A guy close to me is selling a near mint pair of RF-7's in cherry! I was able to cancel the RF-83 order and am getting the RF-7's which is what I wanted in the first place. He is even going to deliver them to my home! I feel better getting a pair of speakers I have actually listened to and really like! I guess I should learn to be more patient.

I do have a question about the woofer frames on the RF-83. The RF-7 boasts cast-aluminum frames but no mention of the RF-83 frames. Just wondering if they were stamped or the polymer frames or???

Thanks

Congrats on finding the RF-7's. Luck was on your side!

I would assume that they are polymer when not mentioned on Klipsch website specs for the RF-83, if I remember right, I believe Jay who has the RF-83 said he's appears to be the cast-aluminum??

The RF-83's are nice sounding and I like the sound but I prefer the RF-7's more presence and involvement sound to the RF-83's more refined sound, personally, but I do like both.

Hey Bonzo, my drumming buddy! How's the skins man?

I've heard them both, but not side by side- although I"m sure there are some here who might have had that experience. I think the new design may have taken care of that slight 'hole in the middle of the RF7 design. At any rate - three woofers at 8" is more diaphram and less piston movement than the two at 10", presumably less distortion would result.

Stick around this time. So what is the 'dark side'.....

I joined the dark side of photography with digial camera last month- scary huh?

Michael

actually mike, the rf7 have more cone area, the rf-83 have more box per cone area which = more bass

Congrats on finding the RF-7's. Luck was on your side!

I would assume that they are polymer when not mentioned on Klipsch website specs for the RF-83, if I remember right, I believe Jay who has the RF-83 said he's appears to be the cast-aluminum??

The RF-83's are nice sounding and I like the sound but I prefer the RF-7's more presence and involvement sound to the RF-83's more refined sound, personally, but I do like both.

the speakers baskets are cast alumnum...

I am sorry I did not see this thread till now. The rf-7 are good but the rf-83 have much more midrange as they redid the crossover and something with the three woofers so the impedence would not drop soo much. But the rf-7 are good but I think the rf-83 horns are better. I listened to them not side by side but the rf-83 are my flavor.

It's good to hear it's cast aluminum!

True, the RF-7's need good high-current ampage to get around those issues and it can sound quite remarkable. The RF-83's are more refined and more user friendly. The RF-83's kind of remind me of the refined sound of the RF-3's but just larger sounding and larger better bass with more extension.

that is a good analogy comparing the rf-83 with the rf3. The rf-7 were a bit picky on amps and other nuancies. I guess they were like older porsches as they had a cult like following even though they had notorious fishtail and the back would step out if you got off the gas. Though the new porsche are much more refined and do not exhibit that which is a gift and curse as they lose the cult like status but make it more of a well rounded sports car. I guess you cannot have it both ways...

I spent most of Saturday testing the RF-83 listening to music and testing different main stream receivers with it and I have to say the RF-83's are very sweet sounding. I even found myself liking them better than the NHT $4000.pr speakers. Onkyo and HK sound very good, the Yamaha ok but a little bright, the Panasonic SA-XR70S sounds amazingly good on the RF-83! I've heard raves about those Panasonics SA-XR all-digital series and finally had the chance to check it out for myself.

I feel the 83's have gotten smoother with break-in and goes well with most of the main stream receivers.

I just posted my review on the RF-83s in the Home Theater forum (I replaced a pair of RF-7s). Having listened to them side by side in my house on the same electronics, I think the RF-83s are better in nearly every way. The highend is smoother, and the midbass is far better. They even extend a bit further down.

Both are excellent speakers, however, so I hope you enjoy your purchase!

The previous owner dropped off the RF-7's Saturday morning and I just got around to do some serious litening today. My usual suspects, Little Feat, Robben Ford, Jennifer Warnes, Wes Montgomery, Led Zep. etc......

First, condition was just like new save for a couple of marks at the bottom of one from those damn plastic feet! I replaced them with 1.5" cone spike that screw right into the bottom, size M6. I noticed a slight improvement in tighter low end.

First , I hooked them up to the Yammy RX-777, 100 watt stereo receiver. Very goog sound with most music. The adjustable loudness control helps the bottom end. I then switched to my bedroom receiver, an HK 3480, 120 watt stereo rec. The horn seemed to smooth out a bit and pretty even with the Yammy in the low end. I will certainly be looking for a new integrated amp. Anyone have experience with the Denon PMA-2000R Mk. IV?

Wish I could have compared them to the RF-83's but I am very happy with the RF-7's. The real good news is my wife likes the way they LOOK!

Mike,

Clyde's Home Entertainment in Redding is where I auditioned the RF-7's some time ago. I will check next week to see if they have the new Reference stuff.

The only thing I miss is that thumping bottom octave I was used to with the big JBL Monitors. Hard to beat those 15 inchers! I guess I will look at getting a sub at some point.

Cheers!

The adjustable loudness control helps the bottom end. I then switched to my bedroom receiver, an HK 3480, 120 watt stereo rec. The horn seemed to smooth out a bit and pretty even with the Yammy in the low end.

Yes another HK 3480 owner. I run my rf-83 with them and found that the music was a bit smoother than the yamaha. I really like the hk 3480 and for the price it becomes a better bargain!