RF-7 vs. RF-83

Bonzo

I actually had the 4430 and would still have them if it were not for the all important WAF! That, and they are just too big for my room and need some real power to do them justice. I thought about the new Cornwalls but, again, too big. The low end on the big JBL's is hard, if not impossible, to beat! The bi-radial horn give a larger soundstage and pressence. The RF-7 has them beat in the top end and seem to be a bit more articulate though more directional. As I said before, the bottom octaves are a bit lacking for me but I know a good musical sub will help. I seem to go back and forth from JBL's to Klipsch and back. In my current situation, the RF-7 is certainly my best option and I am very happy with them! I am considering the crossover upgrade. For now, I just want to live with them for a while and see and hear what happens. As far as the HK receiver, I also believe it is a true bargain! I got a refurb from HK's web-site for under $200. Best $200 I ever spent!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they retailed 499 new but somehow I got it for 250 new! I mean really its a bargain and a half. If anyone is looking for a stereo reciever this is the one with the looks, power, etc. The only really weak thing about the HK3480 is the binding posts, thats where they cheaped out on.

Don't want to start another RF-7 vs RF-83 thread, but I have a chance to purchase some new RF-7s.

What did the RF-7s retail for when new? I really like the RF-83, but if I can get last years flagship at a reduced price, I don't think they would be that far apart.

Authorized dealer............$2200.00 smackeroos.

Ummm they had authorized dealer signs, they are listed in the Klipsch Authorized Dealer, and even Amy gave me updates when they would leave the factory and when they would arrive at the store!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm going to resurrect this thread one more time just to comment on my RF-7's. In a word, HAPPINESS! Great overall balance of sound and little to no edginess on the high end. The compression driver in them is first rate and blends very nicely with the woofers! I will say they are certainly in the top three of the speakers I have owned. For what it's worth, this is my list of the top ten speakers I have personally owned. My criteria is overall sound, ease of placement, compatability with a variety of sources and aesthetics. The latter weighed less than the rest but, you married guys know how important that is!

1. Cornwall II

2. Chorus

3. RF-7

4. JBL 4430

5. JBL 250ti

6. LaScala

7. Forte II

8. Altec Valencia

9. RF-5

10. Heresy I

I have had countless others but, these have been my favorites. I plan on keeping the RF-7's for a while! They work perfectly in my living room and just plain sound great! I just got a Velodyne HGS-12 sub that really rounds out my system. Crossover set at approx. 50hz at a low volume.

Cheers!!!

Hi all,

I'm going to resurrect this thread one more time just to comment on my RF-7's. In a word, HAPPINESS! Great overall balance of sound and little to no edginess on the high end. The compression driver in them is first rate and blends very nicely with the woofers! I will say they are certainly in the top three of the speakers I have owned. For what it's worth, this is my list of the top ten speakers I have personally owned. My criteria is overall sound, ease of placement, compatability with a variety of sources and aesthetics. The latter weighed less than the rest but, you married guys know how important that is!

1. Cornwall II

2. Chorus

3. RF-7

4. JBL 4430

5. JBL 250ti

6. LaScala

7. Forte II

8. Altec Valencia

9. RF-5

10. Heresy I

I have had countless others but, these have been my favorites. I plan on keeping the RF-7's for a while! They work perfectly in my living room and just plain sound great! I just got a Velodyne HGS-12 sub that really rounds out my system. Crossover set at approx. 50hz at a low volume.

Cheers!!!

Are they in order of preference? If so, the Chorous made pretty high marks! Above La Scalas, 4430's, 250Ti's and the Altecs.

I have almost no experience with the FR7's but if you are getting any edginess everyone here who uses them says that Dean's crossovers are the cure.

What amplifier are you using?

I see the JBL L250's in your list. These were a childhood dream of mine and I came extremely close to getting a pair. I made a deal and the Seller wasn't crazy about shipping them across the country so I let him out of it.

Chris

My list is in the order of speakers that worked best for me at the time. I really, really liked the 4430's and 250ti's but never had enough power, IMHO, to drive them properly. This is especially true at low to moderate listening levels. The LaScalas I used with an Antique Sound Labs integrated tube amp. I could never get the mid-range to my liking. Maybe it was the amp, the metal horn, source or a combination of all three. I switched to an NAD amp/pre-amp and still too much mid! The Cornwall's and Chorus however, sounded great with whatever I was powering them with or wherever I put them. This also seems to be the case with the RF-7's. I am currently using a Nakamichi RE-10 stereo receiver which drives them nicely. It is 100 watts per channel and has a dedicated line level sub out. That is a nice feature and rare in stereo receivers. Due to space reasons I need to go with a receiver at this time.

Gotcha. I ask because a long time ago I saw a (made for tv I believe) movie called "The Ringo Starr Movie" IIRC. Ringo found someone who looked identical whose name was Ognir Rats. Hilarity ensues...

I think I am the only person who watched this flick...

Hi all,

1. Cornwall II

2. Chorus

3. RF-7

4. JBL 4430

5. JBL 250ti

6. LaScala

7. Forte II

8. Altec Valencia

9. RF-5

10. Heresy I

Cheers!!!

I have the 83's in my house right now,playin'.Let me tell you,after you have the 7's for a while they may be hard to part with.I've put speakers side by side w/7's for several years,some at twice the price,the 7's remain.I've never experienced the high's/crossover issues,they just jam with endless authority.Maybe I got a perfect pair,found the right position,maybe my rooms good,maybe I got the right combo of gear for me,all I know is nothin' yet compares in overall presentation.

I'm gonna work on the 83's,break em' in just a bit and work on position before I make a firm judgement.There's for sure nothin' bad about em' they look stunning and sound very nice but its no hands down deal by a looong shot.Maybe I could have Jacksonbart build me a set using the best of both.The one thing I do notice is a little more bass than the 7's,but the 7's superb horn is a tough act to follow in my opinion.More later but if you have 7's you should be happy,they may be better than you think.