Bose Wave Cannon

CAS

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I've never heard of one. They're going for $600 a piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bose-Base-Acoustic-Wave-Cannon-Driver-System-12-Sub_W0QQitemZ9725879866QQcategoryZ3275QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody have any experience? I can only assume it's a commercial installation. Looks kind of cool. I wonder if there are some Bose commercial products that I may like.

DIY see:

http://www.passdiy.com/projects/el-pipe-o-1.htm

post-22287-13819298076136_thumb.jpg

a true wave cannon would have the driver loaded at the one third point of the tube....front of the driver facing the longer lenth.

wave cannons don't get impressive till you hit the 12 foot lent mark.

a true wave cannon would have the driver loaded at the one third point of the tube....front of the driver facing the longer lenth. wave cannons don't get impressive till you hit the 12 foot lent mark.

Umm, people, did you actually LOOK and read the auction?? Look at the pic:

Posted Image

Woofer is loaded 1/3 of the way into the tube...the tube is 12 feet 6" long...its a 12" woofer. What are you complaining about?

Not defending Bose, but just wondering why everyone bashing individual aspects of the cannon didn't check the facts first.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone always has the need to bash Bose in the first place. So what if they go about things in an unorthodox way. It works for them, they make plenty of money, and they've been in business for years successfully. They're 901's have been around just about as long as the Khorn, for the most part unchanged, like the Khorn, and both have been equally successful.

And if you haven't heard lately, Klipsch isn't exactly considered #1 in the "audiophile" world according to all the hifi mags either.

Personally, I have heard the 901's on several occations in different installations is owners houses, and I really liked the sound of them. They are very impressive for only using 4" fullrange drivers in compact enclosures. The ONLY reason I never bought a pair is because I could never afford the $1400 asking price.

I have also heard the wave cannons before in a couple of different night clubs. In one club, I counted 8 of them around the building, and they sounded much better and hit much deeper than any JBL, EV, etc, etc stack that I've heard in other clubs.

I say leave Bose alone! They have their own part of the market as does Klipsch, as does McIntosh, as does Wilson Audio, etc, etc, etc...

thanks for asking

there are 2 story lines in this thread...some are talking about the ebay listing...some are talking about the photo of the DIY vertical wave cannons made out of what appears to be a cement former tube.

the other members comments about appearance, my comments about size and and driver positioning were directed to the cardboard vertical ones...not the wave cannons on ebay.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone always has the need to bash Bose in the first place.

It's called insecurity. [:D]

They have been able to market their brand of innovation more successfully than most audio company's; Klipsch included.

That said, a friend who used Bose gear was forced to buy a pair of Industrial Heresy's after I substituted for him at a gig. He was really pissed at first. But he's still using them 30 years later.

And if you haven't heard lately, Klipsch isn't exactly considered #1 in the "audiophile" world according to all the hifi mags either.

I wouldn't put much faith in the advertisement-driven magazine industry. But I do think they could be used to promote the Klipsch Heritage lineup. Just concentrate on the core and accentuate it with new technology.

How cool would Klipshorns with wooden horns be? Ever priced an old JBL wooden horn? [+o(] Do the same with La Scala's. [:)] Use the latest in CAD routers to make the mid-range and tweeter horns. Make sure the grain is visible and part of the design. [:D] Make the horns, drivers and even x-overs a piece of art that compliments the genius in design and the music played through them. [<:o)]

I don't expect this would happen. After all, it might cost a couple of thousand bucks to actually create the first pair of all-wood K-horns. But they sure would make a statement.

Interesting product and with all the fun poking B0$e some must consider all things B0$e must be total garbage.

Yes we know they sell alot of Acoustic Mass and Direct Reflecting...little sats with band pass subs and make a good buck.

But I see more B0$e attacks on this forum I ever see on other speaker forums.And you will never hear a Dynaudio owner fear B0$e and spit on them(sometimes I do,the bashing is BASH like).As Dynaudio owners have pitty and to not attack far lesser designs.As trhere is no need to,they do not even compete.

Klipsch,Tannoy,JBL and Altec are all audiophile grade.Tannoy being the oldest of the four and having the longest lineage and far reaching heritage(founded in 1926).Snooty audiophiles who dismiss large hons are not audiophiles just pretenders.

Bill, I think ol' PWK made just such a statement with his all-wood Jubilees. If only Klipsch would produce them, dammit. IMHO the Jubilees are a work of art for the eyes and ears!

post-11084-13819298095706_thumb.jpg

is that jubilee really a solid piece of wood for the horn or a couple pieces or veneer? I don't quite understand why no one produces mdf wood horns as it seems simpler to me that all wood which requires precise cutting and good wood to work with. MDF all you need is the wood dust and glue to form the putty around the mold (the horn mold) and press and heat it on. Cover with a nice veneer too to boot.

I even Photoshopped this beautiful wood Usher horn on this Jubilee...now this is beautiful![Y]

And on Blose-bashing, I also never understood the reason why so many go out of their way to do so. Bose is obviously doing something right to still be in business after all these years. So what if they're unorthodox in their design...if they sound great for what they are, and the average consumer likes their easy plug 'n' play installation process, then fine...let them be! If you don't like their direct-reflecting sound, then don't listen to them. If you don't like their so-called cheap construction and paper cones, then don't buy them! There's no need to be poking fun at those who do...just leave them alone and go enjoy your horns.

post-11084-13819298098356_thumb.jpg