Very Tight budget HT mains

darkside

Hi all,

I've looked eveywhere, but if i have missed a post about this, please

post the link, but untill then, here's what I am looking for...

Some budget, very tight budget ($350 or less), HT mains. I would like

to go with Klipschs, but can never find a pair for that cheap, so I am

considering some Cerwin Vegas of some sort. I believe the Cerwin Vega

V-6Fs would fit the bill, and I've already got a sub, so the low end is

taken care of, but if anyone has any other recommendations of any other

Cerwins or any other brand, please post.

Some possible deals on RF-3's if you like to haggle:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/157066824.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/157010594.html

If you are patient, there are deals out there. I purchased 2 pairs of Forte's for $350 and $250 last year from craigslist.

I agree. Be patient and keep your eyes open. I was able to get a nice pair of Cornwalls for 400 last year. Craiglist and local classifieds will be your best bet. E-bay will be useless

Good luck,

-Tom

EBAY??? USELESS????? ARE YOU KIDDING???!?!?!?!?!? I waited and ended up

with an Earthquake SuperNova MK-IV 10 sub for $374.99 (MSRP $840) off

ebay, so I wouldn't call it useless, but classifieds and craigslist are

probably much more reliable....makes me want to go grab the paper...[:P]

I only have experience with the Heresies, but I still love how these smaller Hertiage speakers sound all by themselves. I think I could get by very happily with....three of them and a minibox for the center channel. Well, we are using something quite a bit more sophisticated (and recently perfectly repaired) than the minibox, but the that little device worked extremely well and is what got me interested in surround sound and home theater.

I've used our pair (now side channels in our HT) on 15" stands, and they sound excellent.

Erik

I only have experience with the Heresies, but I still love how these smaller Hertiage speakers sound all by themselves. I think I could get by very happily with....three of them and a minibox for the center channel. Well, we are using something quite a bit more sophisticated (and recently perfectly repaired) than the minibox, but the that little device worked extremely well and is what got me interested in surround sound and home theater.

I've used our pair (now side channels in our HT) on 15" stands, and they sound excellent.

Erik

Erik,

It sounds like you got that Lexicon up & running.

EBAY??? USELESS????? ARE YOU KIDDING???!?!?!?!?!? I waited and ended up with an Earthquake SuperNova MK-IV 10 sub for $374.99 (MSRP $840) off ebay, so I wouldn't call it useless, but classifieds and craigslist are probably much more reliable....makes me want to go grab the paper...[:P]

Darkside,

I am glad you have had luck with eBay. I have become cynical.

There seem to be cycles. Certain things become "hot" & fashionable and the prices get very expensive (if the numbers can be believed).

Good Luck,

-Tom

Yeah, I agree about that with Ebay. It does happen, even with Bose

speakers *cough! cough! overrated! cough! cough!* Actually, i just took

a look at craigslist and found a great deal on some CV D3s right here

in Alpharetta, so yes I agree that Ebay isnt the best, but the search

is on elsewhere too

Tom:

Erik,

"It sounds like you got that Lexicon up & running."

I did all that I could think of, and trouble shot with Shawn for days -- and gave up. I'm just not very familiar with it's technology and level of complexity.

I sent it up to Shawn, who very generously let us borrow another DC-1 he happened to have, and he is the one who got rid of that perplexing problem/noise in the center channel. It's working perfectly now, and the noise floor seems to be even lower than it was before I sent it to him.

Darkside: It's funny you mention Cerwin Vegas. That's what my wife, then long-time girlfriend and I got when we decided we couldn't afford the Heresies we listened to. The CW's had good efficiency, and provided some great listening.

Erik

Another good place to check for used Klipsch is any local audio shops that accept/sell trade ins. Got a pair of used RF-7s for a steal from a local audio shop. They weren't a Klipsch dealer, so they were just looking to get rid of them. Call around & check online, a lot of shops with used gear will keep a list of it on their websites.

For $400 you could slide into some Fortes, just saw a pair go for a bit over $400 in the bay area on ebay. I bought my Chorus for $500 abliet the enclosure veneer was beat up in many places. Herseys are an option, I personally would not settle for a two way klipsh design.

Vegas are still reasonable speakers, I just recently restored a pair of Circa 1992 AT-12s and a pair of 1985 DX-3s. Just need to sell them now and I will be a happy camper.

Yeah, I'm really liking the idea of having some Cerwin Vegas because I've heard them to be very good, and plus I can afford them...

Do what you want, it's your money, Cerwin Vegas are nice, beware, if you pound them, you'll replace them, count on it. Take your time, watch this forum for speakers, sometimes there are many good deals here. Think about used speakers, Heresys,Forte's, maybe even KG4's, relax, take your time. There are many fine speaker choices out there, I just feel you can do better than Cerwin Vega. I would rather have used Klipsch's than new Cerwin Vega, that's just me. Have you looked at Boston Acoustic or other brands? Try to buy local, and save shipping charges, then you will have more to spend on speakers.

Hey, pathlesstaken... 2 questions, where do you live (city) and how much do you want for the AT-12s?

San Diego, bit far from where you are right now.

Lowest I would go on the AT-12s would be $225.00. Cabinets are in 9/10 shape (got them from the orignal owner), drivers are mint ribbed (not nippled) pulp with brand new CV surrounds (roughly a $80.00 job at any repair shop). Drivers, crossovers and teriminals have have been lightly sealed (not visible all interior) with silicone.

About to put them up on ebay (had them on craigslist) if you are interested please do let me know (screen name here is same as ebay). Shipping would be around $125.00 by my guesstimate.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ele/162539410.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ele/162548778.html