Where were you?

CECAA850

When you heard your first Klipsch speaker? Do you remember? I was in a bar in upstate New York in the mid 70's. There were these plain little speakers in several places throughout the bar that were just CRANKING. As I walked past one I read the name, Klip....something or other. I'd never heard of them before. I had to walk past them 2 or 3 times just to be sure that huge sound was coming out of those particular speakers. I was hooked on that sound, but didn't have the means to do anything about it at that time. I later found out I was listening to Heresy's. Any body else remember "their first time"?

1986. I was in a movie theater in augsburg germany. I was in a large theater..the sound was awesome..great dynamic range...detail...unforgetable mid-bass. The speakers were are a pair birch LaScala's mounted mid-point one of each side of the screen. Grills were off...secret was out...this was a fully horn loaded system.

Back in the early 90s, Audio King was the only store around here that carried them. They had a pair of Belles and a huge Klipsch sub. They played the music so loud it vibrated the satellite speakers which were on the wall behind them right off their shelves and onto the floor.

Then my friend bought a middle of the line Klipsch sub with .5s for the main speakers.

A few years ago another friend of mine invited my wife and I over for dinner and we listened to his RF-7s for a couple hours. I couldn't believe how they sounded.

Now I can listen to RF-7s every day![:D]

Mid 70's: LaScala's in our High School audio system used for dances and in the lounge. Ya know songs like Styx Loreley and Suite Madam Blue, LedZep STH, Eagles One of these Nights and other songs to dance with your SweetHeart.

Mid 70's Springfield, Vermont, a small apartment of a friend, tucked in the corners were La Scala's, black if I remember, powered by McIntonsh, don't know the model, doesn't matter anyway. Never forgot that sound, knew Klipsch was in my future.The guy had a plaque on the wall that said;" These speakers with a 10 watt amp will get you evicted", will always remember that day.

1977 in my uncle's living room. He just purchased new Cornwalls. I was a very young, impressionable boy, and boy was I impressed. I own those very speakers today. Still impressed every time I listen to them.

Jeremy

1978/1979 was at Carlon Audio in Fairfield Ohio. Pointed to THOSE speakers as ones I wanted to hear (LaScalas). He turned them up and though I was awestruck at the sound, I remember also thinking "for as huge as those are, I would have thought the bass would have been better"

Then (as he was laughing at me) he turned the Heresy's off (that were sitting on floor in FRONT of the LaScalas) and cranked the LaScalas up. Seems he pulled that joke on everyone and we bit it hook line and sinker.

My friend & myself just stood there dropjawed. As we left, I distinctly remember patting the LaScala on the top and while looking at my friend said "one day..."

It was 1994, at Wilson Audio in Tucson. I guess I had heard of the Klipsch brand before that, but I had never really had the chance to experience them. No one in my family was into audio, so I didn't grow up with it. All my friends were into Bose, and my previous speakers had been a pair of Realistic Mach-1s mated to Yamaha electronics. After several months of searching, the Kg 5.5s were the first speaker my wife and I actually enjoyed listening to; very clear, dynamic, and alive. They're still as awsome today as the day I bought them!

Dale

A downtown electronics store in St louis (1955) Walter Ash. they had a klipschorn upstaires. Awsome. Also around the corner another music store selling pianos. Up staires in a audio room (Aeolian Music) They had a Klipschorn & a EV Patrition Klipsch clone useing a 18" EV woofer.

My memories of the first time are not that old. I was at Ovation Audio in Cincinnati Ohio on 09/30/2005. I posted my experience here on this forum and on the audioholics forum:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/654212.aspx

From audioholics forum:

"Yesterday I made an 80 mile round trip to hear Paradigm S4 and Paradigm Studio 100 speakers with my collection of SACDs in hand. I would have gone to my local Paradigm dealer if he had Studio 100s in stock.

I first went to the showroom with Paradigm S4s. I listened to Eric Clapton's "Key To The Highway" off the "Layla" CD and several tracks from Buddy Guy's "DJ Play My Blues" CD. I was disappointed when I noticed that the S4s seemed to muffle the high frequencies in comparison to the Mackie SRM450s. I noticed the same muffled high frequency when I played the same tracks on another system in another showroom with Studio 100s. These speakers did not produce the sound I was accustomed to hearing on stages or in the audience of live performances where admittedly all music was amplified via high wattage PA amps with horn drivers.

When I expressed my opinion to the dealer he told me that most home-audio speakers would not be able to approach the same sound of live performances unless they were also equipped with horn drivers. He then allowed me to listen to the same CD tracks on another system with
Klipsch Reference RF7s.

I was floored by how much Klipsch RF7 speakers sounded like my Mackie SRM450s at home. Then I was surprised to find that they are 33% less than the cost of S4s. Now I am considering
Klipsch Heresy II from their Heritage line or the Klipsch RF7s for my front speakers to be driven by the Anthem P2.

I have read many posts on audiophile forums that have claimed that Klipsch horn speakers, especially the lines below the Reference line (e.g. Synergy), are too bright. I would be curious to see the results of a survey among pro/amateur rock musicians where they were posed the question "Do horn speakers like the Klipsch RF7 produce a sound that is too bright for home audio?"

Now I need to find a dealer who has Klipsch Heresy II in stock for a demo. I think I have found my "dream" home-audio front speakers in one of these Klipsch speaker models.
"

On March 29, 2006, (nine days after my B-day), I carried my first Klipsch speakers into my home, Cornwall IIIs.

1978 at Read Bros. Stereo here in Charleston . I went with a friend of mine and his dad . My friend was auditioning some LaScalas . They had a room specificaly set up for Klipsch .KHorns in the corners , Belles next to them , LaScalas next to the Belles , then Cornwalls and Heresys .

My friend bought a pair of Birch LaScalas and boy did he , we , use them !

It was in 1977 and it was a very high time. A buddy and me went to a friends Apt. and we could hear Money playing before we got out of the car. We went in and this guy had an old 100 watt Marantz and a pair of K Horns. Man this was the best sound I had ever heard. I new that one day I would have a pair. So now I am building a pair of hybrid K Horns. [<:o)]

In 1978 my former brother in law bought 2 pairs of Heresy's and had them hooked up to his Pioneer QX-949 Quad receiver. I was in awe of that system and I credit him for my lifelong love affair with audio equipment!

In a shack out in the back yard of a wild and crazy Harley rider. 4 Heresy's in black; the room was totally black; walls, floors, ceiling, even the refrigerator was black. I dont know what he was driving them with but I wont ever forget it. I have been hooked ever since. Bill This was around '75 or '76.

Where was I ? I was a Klipsch dealer,the sound room's walls were shaking and windows ready to get blown away. I walked in and was warned before they are breaking in new KLF30's and listening to AC/DC at these volumes may leave me in a bad shape. [:P]

I saw,I heard I bled from my ears and I searched. Next all I know a few years later I saw RF7's and I had to buy Klipsch. [:D]

Seriously I do not recall my "first" time with Klipsch. LOL