The DaVinci Code

Jeff Matthews

It wasn't great. It wasn't bad. I didn't read the book, so I did not know the story line. First, I think this was like watching Leonard Nimoy's "In Search Of: Wizards and Warlocks."

The end was not gripping. There was no chilling effect. It was just "That's it?" And now that we know what the deal is, and there is no fear-factor left (in fact, I think the fear-factor was misleading when the end is finally reached), it just feels like we wasted our energy. All that suspense, and nothing worth waiting for.....

And finally, not only does nothing get "solved" as Hanks cleverly points out in a couple of questions, we are left with a feeling that now that we know what is in issue, we don't even care if it gets solved because this movie does not even take us one step closer. It is hard to feel invested in anything upon leaving the theater.

I can't imagine why the church, or religious individuals, take clear works of fiction like this seriously and as a threat. It certainly can't threaten religion. If you walk out a changed person because of this movie, you were on the fragile fringe of society (sanity) to begin with.

I think serious debate, arguments, etc. due to this movie are in order for only those who are in the extremes of both camps. Mainstream people will get a little entertainment out of the movie and not be moved.

Great review Jeff. It would appear the rest of the critics worldwide woudl agree with you as this isnt the bombshell film as many were expecting.

Unfortunatley it is those who are less stable than "mainstream people" who will pick up on certaing nuances and customs and adopt them to add to their self security that in turn can ruin things for the rest of us.

Great review, Jeff, and I 110% concur with you on every point. There's nothing more I can say that will add to the comments you've already pointed towards this horribly disappointing film.

The few times it actually DID have me going (explanations of Mary Magdalene's true story etc.), they just as quickly quelled it with overly-verbose monologues and such.

I didn't read the novel either, but if this film was anything like it, I find it earth-shakingly hard to believe that the book would've sould the way it did.

I beg to differ--I loved it. Great pacing, story-telling, suspense, and plot twists and turns. I thought Hanks , Tatou, and McCellan were all top-notch. Explanations of complex histories were all told very clearly so if you hadn't read the book you would understand it. I even liked the line "I need a library--FAST"!

I'm glad I didn't read the book--my wife did and she felt it was hokey. To me, expectations and your mood have a lot to do with if you like a movie--I truly didn't expect much but to be entertained, and if you can't enjoy looking at Audrey Tatou, you are braindead.

Its fun to trash a blockbuster--and this one has to be one of the most highly anticipated movies of the past few years. As a movie, it is darn entertaining. As the incredibly resonant and controversial interpretation of the best story told about the biggest lie of all mankind as a worldwide phenomenon, it probably falls short. But, I'd like to see it again--its very much worth the price of entry.

Why people have stayed away from United 93 astounds me-- its one of the best movies of the year, and has almost no Hollywood feel to it. Its better than this--

Go see it, but don't expect a miracle--

I read the book, so I will not be going to the movie. The book is not a bad read, though not great like Ludlum can be, and it also ends in that disappointing way Jeff reported. You are left with a "so what?" kind of feeling. It was probably designed with a sequel in mind, yet with nothing in mind for the sequel. "Digital Fortress" by the same author is an even more disappointing read. Stick with the big guns for thrillers.

I beg to differ--I  loved it.  Great pacing, story-telling, suspense, and plot twists and turns.  I thought Hanks , Tatou, and McCellan were all top-notch. Explanations of complex histories were all told very clearly so if you hadn't read the book you would understand it. I even liked the line "I need a library--FAST"!

I'm glad I didn't read the book--my wife did and she felt it was hokey. To me, expectations and your mood have a lot to do with if you like a movie--I truly didn't expect much but to be entertained, and if you can't enjoy looking at Audrey Tatou, you are braindead.

Its fun to trash a blockbuster--and this one has to be one of the most highly anticipated movies of the past few years.  As a movie, it is darn entertaining.  As the incredibly resonant and controversial interpretation of the best story told about the biggest lie of all mankind as a worldwide phenomenon, it probably falls short.  But, I'd like to see it again--its very much worth the price of entry.

Why people have stayed away from United 93 astounds me-- its one of the best movies of the year, and has almost no Hollywood feel to it.  Its better than this--

Go see it, but don't expect a miracle--

Interesting! Usually we agree on films, but this one we seem diametrically opposed. All the better, makes for more interesting discussion.

One thing I do agree on is your remark on Tautou... You'd love her in "Amelie" if you haven't already seen it. A HILARIOUS French film (won the oscar for best sound design) where she plays the quirkiest, most lovable character ever put on screen!

• 2 weeks later...