Would an RF-7 for Cornwall trade be worth it?

wuzzzer

I was curious as to how many people thought that if I were to trade my RF-7s for a pair of nice Cornwalls if it would be worth it. I don't want this to start a Reference vs. Heritage argument, but I know the Cornwall reputation. Does a midrange horn help with vocal clarity?

I've never listened to Cornwalls. The only Heritage I'ver ever heard was a pair of Belles back in the early-mid 90s and don't remember much about them.

CW's ROCK for HT, are you kidding me?

Seriously, I'd have a good long audition before I'd make a trade like that. Those RF's are probably worth $1200 even used, right? You can get CW's for much less than that, when they're available in your area. They would only be an even trade if you found some in pristine condition or with rare veneer.

So even if you'd consider the trade for sonic reasons, financially you'd probably be better off selling the RF's for cash and purchasing CW's.

IMO both are exceptional speakers but if pressed ...and let me interject here that I am a very enthusiastic dedicated Heritage guy, but....I might be tempted to stay with the RF 7 although I chose the CW III over it in Indy last year. Neither was set up very well or even equally for that matter so it was not a good comparison between the two. It would be a tough choice for me. I like the idea of turning the midrange duty from 600 hz (or lower) on up over to a horn, but to me the woofer/mid bass integrates better on the RF7 than the K33 does to the K55/K600 combo on CW. I think the RF 7 images a little better too. I should add the CW is my least favorite Heritage but that is just my preference. Now if you were to exchange the K600 and crossover out for a K400 or other 400Hz horn and appropriate network change maybe I choose a little differently. I dont know it would be a tough choice for me no matter what. If your goal is just to gain more bass the CW wins hands down but the RF 7 mated to a good amp has ample bass and does very well overall. Id be stuck vacillating on this choice for quite some time if I had to make it. Good luck!

Colter,

You always undervalue Corns and I can't figure it out. Yeah, the early bird gets some good deals, but with the Cornwall III out there it's starting to bring the value up. Another dude on e-bay just mailed me that he's been offered $1300 for his used pair in no better condition than mine. Never undersell the Cornwall!

BS

handtrucks are a good investment for back and speaker alike [:P]

What's the fun in that ?

Lets see , GaryMD threw his back out helping me load my single Belle . Then my brother Herman threw his back out helping me unload it . "Good Times"

ps - My buddy Joe and I have moved 2 pairs of my Belles with no problems . "Boring"

I'll bet you can see where I cast my vote . IMO Cornwalls are built better .

gee I like not to take my percocets to be able to move through my day!

Dude , I still have half of a Vicodin prescription from 4 years ago when I had a tooth pulled . I don't like narcotics , but am saving them for a rainy day . Maybe I am just a little more hardy than most . [;)]

Todd, outside of those with exotic veneers, your's are the prettiest CW's I've ever seen. I have no doubt they would bring $1300. Most of mine look as though they were dragged across a gravel driveway.

Michael

I would love to tackle a re-veneer on one pair of yours. They would be considerably easier without the decorator facia like those Heresy's. Would you like that curly maple? I know where to get a sheet or two, I think?

BS

I am thinking teak, and have a pair of older Heresies to practice on. WHen finished I'll have 5 matching CW's including a vert for center and the pair of Heresies- nice 7.1 eh?

I guess we could use the maple on my 63 verticals. See how much it is.

M

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I heard Reference series loudspeakers briefly over the years in the local Sound Advice/Tweeter audio boutique. I also had a chance to listen to a FR7 pair before frequent poster DeanG upgraded their crossovers with a number of different amplifiers at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas. We listened to tube amplifiers and classic Klipsch corner Khorns. Although I love what the big ole horns do with music, I have to admit being very impressed with the upgraded RF7s, for the money and size.

After hearing what DeanGs crossovers could do for the RF7s and never finding an ideal listening room in any house I have ever seen, except dedicated HT rooms, I could see someone liking a 7.1 Reference system when multi-channel audio becomes standard.

If I had Reference loudspeakers already with solid-state equipment, I would upgrade them. I think the crossover is the hidden weakness in loudspeakers. If I had tube amplifiers and the space already, I would certainly move up to the sheer dynamics and amazing efficiency of big ole horns.

handtrucks are a good investment for back and speaker alike [:P]

What's the fun in that ?

Lets see , GaryMD threw his back out helping me load my single Belle . Then my brother Herman threw his back out helping me unload it . "Good Times"

ps - My buddy Joe and I have moved 2 pairs of my Belles with no problems . "Boring"

I'll bet you can see where I cast my vote . IMO Cornwalls are built better .

I blame my multiple back surgeries on Cornwalls. When I was a much younger man, I would carry them up and down stairs by myself whenever I moved or came home from college for the summer. I'm certainly not a big guy and still can't believe I actually did this by myself all those years without dropping one or falling down a flight of stairs to be crushed by one of those sharp zebrawood corners. Talking about awkward! Having the original boxes helped a lot.

As far as Corns vs RF7s, Corns Rule!!!!!

Trust me guys, I have an industrial Milwaukee hand truck and I know how to use it. Got the pneumatic tires, pipe insulation around the uprights so as not to scratch speakers and everything....

Pimp my Hand Truck!

Colt , some neon and spinners will really set you apart from the rest of the handtruck crowd .

"Would an RF-7 for Cornwall trade be worth it?"

No.

Different sounding speakers. Before you think of trading RF-7s, I would have Dean's mod done and then decide.

Then, if you still want to sell your RF-7s, pocket some change, and buy Cornwalls, you must audition a set of Cornwalls first before making the leap.

Carl.