Crown DC300 for $200

whell

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/163358536.html

I dont' know the seller, etc., etc. Let me know if anyone wants me to check this out. I spoke to the seller last week, and he has a turntable I might go grab. My understanding is that the gear he's selling came out of a restaurant/bar that closed. It's supposed to be in OK shape.

I bought a couple of these 30 years ago. They were old then, had the brushed aluminum faceplates and mono/stereo switch had been added by the guy who had them. Later, I sent them to Crown for new faceplates, knobs and IOC circuitry. Crown, like Klipsch, seems to stand behind their equipment and provide upgrades and service like no other company.

I still have them and five other MacroTechs, including two MA3600vz's. The only other brand of amps I have are my Dyna tube amps for my Dahlquists.

At $200 a DC300 is like money in the bank. Think of it as buying a pair of old Heresy's for $200. You will love what you have and can always sell it for more.

I had a ton of these Crown amps -- DC-300, DC-300 series II as well as Crown pre-amps. Unfortunately, Crown nolonger supports their vintage equipment. When I had a problem with one of my pre-amps, Crown referred me to a place in the Chicago suburbs. They never did quite fix the problem. Without factory tech support, vintage Crown prices have slowly eroded. That's why I sold all of my Crown gear.

Mick

I had a ton of these Crown amps -- DC-300, DC-300 series II as well as Crown pre-amps. Unfortunately, Crown nolonger supports their vintage equipment. When I had a problem with one of my pre-amps, Crown referred me to a place in the Chicago suburbs. They never did quite fix the problem. Without factory tech support, vintage Crown prices have slowly eroded. That's why I sold all of my Crown gear.

Mick

Sorry to hear that. At one time you could call them up and discuss what they could do to upgrade older equipment. That's what I did with my DC-300's. I have purchased 8 new MacroTech amps, and currently have 5, but have never dealt with the factory. They have been flawless and I've never had a problem.

I even sent them an RTA-2 to clean up, once. They were great to work with and the main reason I only own Crown amps. It's a shame if they don't support Vintage stuff; it's the foundation of their reputation.

I suspect that Klipsch may be following the same path, just due to the realities of the marketplace. I'm wondering how much of their stuff, sold today, will be in demand in 40-50 years. Not much, I'd bet.

[:(]