Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 22

thebes

I'm really pleased to see participation picking up. Love the mix

of regulars and newcomers. I also like the variety of

recommendtions, helping to prove my point that if you want good music

where better to get it than from your fellow Klipschers.

Next week we'll have our first drawing for the loot. To launch it

I will be giving away one BS button and one Klipsch tie-tack.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Supertramp, "Crime of the Century", lp, rock/pop

I never though much or about this group, I guess I was turned off by

the airplay accorded the song "Dreamers". However, when a fellow

forum member gave me a minty, and I mean minty, copy of this lp I threw

it on the player. I must admit I was most pleasantly suprised by

the quality of the recording, the craftsmanship, lyrics and

pacing. Very good.

So what do you have to share this week?

Snow Patrol "Eyes Open" Rock LP (or CD). For those who remember their #1 single "Run" a year or so ago, this album closely mirrors that style, dropping their harder pop-rock style in favor of power rock ballads.

This album is phenomenal. Poignant lyrics, tight melodies and awe-inspiring musicianship (both in instrumental layers and the physical playing of them) have already propelled this album to the top of the billboard charts. Surely it'll top their double-platinum album "Final Straw."

post-12484-13819298184744_thumb.jpg

And as a reverse recommendation...

Rock Kills Kid "Are You Nervous" Rock CD. Catchy songs, albeit harder hitting. Not quite in the vein of speed, thrash, or death metal which I generally enjoy more, much further on the poppy side. Their single "Paralyze" can be heard on the radio ocassionally, as well as every teenager's CD player.

Wait a minute, why am I saying that?

post-12484-13819298184914_thumb.jpg

Well I picked this one up at Walmart a few days ago.

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble Live At Montreux 1982 & 1985 - DVD

Posted Image

This is the Sony info on the release.

FIRST TIME ON DVD!

Over 2 hours of content

Includes a brand new documentary

By the summer of 1982, Stevie Ray Vaughan was already a veteran of the Southern blues circuit. Desperately searching for his big break, he was asked to play "Blues Night" at the annual Montreux Jazz Festival in Montreux, Switzerland. Playing like his life depended on it, Stevie put on a fiery performance - full of future SRV classics like "Pride And Joy" and "Love Struck Baby." The audience could not have cared less. Every song Stevie played was greeted by an increasing wave of boos and hisses and he left the stage bewildered and heart-broken.

As fate would have it, this would be the most important single show Stevie ever played. In attendance at the festival were two figures who would prove instrumental in Stevie's subsequent rise to stardom: David Bowie and Jackson Browne. They immediately recognized Stevie's raw talent and limitless passion. As a result, Jackson Browne offered Stevie the opportunity to record (free of charge) at his own studio--the tapes that would be Texas Flood--Stevie's first studio album for Epic Records. In addition, Stevie was asked to play on Bowie's hugely successful Let's Dance album and tour.

Three years later, when Stevie was invited back to headline "Blues Night" at the festival, the crowd, now familiar with Stevie's songs and albums treated him like the conquering hero. And Stevie again played like his life depended on it - because, as we all came to recognize and respect, that was the only way he knew how.

TRACK LISTING

DISC ONE - July 17, 1982

"Hide Away"

"Rude Mood"

"Pride And Joy"

"Texas Flood"

"Love Struck Baby"

"Dirty Pool"

"Give Me Back My Wig"

"Collins' Shuffle"

DISC TWO - July 15, 1985

"Scuttle Buttin'"

"Say What!"

"Ain't Gone N' Give Up On Love"

"Pride And Joy"

"Mary Had A Little Lamb"

"Cold Shot"* (with Johnny Copeland)

"Tin Pan Alley (aka Roughest Place In Town)" (with Johnny Copeland)

"Look At Little Sister"* (with Johnny Copeland)

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"

"Texas Flood"

"Life Without You"

"Gone Home"

"Couldn't Stand The Weather"

*PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED DVD-ONLY BONUS TRACK

Greg's comments:

Both of these concerts are great. Sound quality is outstanding with full 5.1 support and the performance is what makes this DVD a must have buy!

Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of those rare artists who perform much better live then in the studio.

Greg's pick: "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"

Slade-Get Yer Boots On-The Best Of Slade CD. Great compilation of the

awesome Slade. All the biggies are on here...Mama Weer All Crazee Now,

Cum On Feel The Noize, Merry Xmas Everybody, Run Runaway, My Oh My and

about 10 more. I guess most label Slade as Glam rock in the vein of

T.Rex, Ziggy Stardust era Bowie or maybe Sweet, which leads me to...

Sweet-The Best Of Sweet CD. I have been wearing the Slade disc and this

one out for the past few weeks. I have some stuff on vinyl but I just

wanted this to throw on in the car. These guys are very talented and

have a great ear for some catchy tracks. If the Bay City Rollers were

"heavy". This one has Little Willy, The Ballroom Blitz, Fox On The Run,

Love Is Like Oxygen and plenty more that should've been hits.

Deep Purple-Machine Head 2CD set. 1972. This is the remastered and

remixed version thatcame out a few years ago. Ritchie Blackmore just

shreds on this classic hard rock album. Top-notch musicianship all the

way around with superb vocals by IanGillan. Highway Star just rules! I

remember rockin' out to this on my Fisher Price record player when it

first came out. I haven't listened to the second disc yet. It's some

remixed versions by Roger Glover that I think include some outtakes and

extended fade-outs, etc. This version does sound better than my old cd.

Stiff Little Fingers-Inflammable Material CD. 1979. Old-school Clashy

punk-rock. They'll always be compared to The Clash and that's not a bad

thing. Just a little more snotty, less political, and lacking a bit in

the musicianship dept. but still a fun listen. If you dig The

Buzzcocks, The Clash or some of the 80's/90's pop/punk stuff that came

out on Lookout Records like Green Day, Fifteen, Crimpshrine, etc.

you'll love this.

Celtic Frost-To Mega Therion CD. 1985. This is metal! Huge influence on

the first wave of Black Metal bands. Celtic Frost certainly originated

the trend of face paint that all the Black Metal guys wear. Totally

evil/sick/twisted HR Giger artwork to boot. I'd describe this to maybe

Venom meeets Voivod. Be careful of some of Celtic Frost's albums. They

"went spandex" later to cash in and those albums lick. This is the one

to get.

Harmonic 33-Music For Film, Television & Radio Volume One CD. 2004

Warp Records. VERY nice and chilled vibes from Mark Pritchard(former

member of Global Communication who just so happened to have created the

finest album ever titled 76:14). Kinda loungey, kinda sci-fi, kinda

soundtracky, kinda chilled & kinda not. For fans of Kruder &

Dorfmeister, Massive Attack, etc. Great bass and overall production.

Bill Laswell-Emerald Aether: Shape Shifting CD. 2000 Shanachie Records.

Bill Laswell has done it again. Bill is not only a world-class producer

and bassist but he also has a deep appreciation for traditional music

from all points of the globe. This would be lumped in with his other

"remix" albums such as the ones he's done for Miles Davis, Bob Marley,

Carlos Santana/John McLaughlin as well as the traditional Cuban music

one he mixed. Basically he is given free reign with the master tapes of

a certain artist and he just goes to town usually creating something

quite inspired in the process. I highly recommend the Miles one he did

titled Panthalassa-The Music Of Miles Davis 1969-1974. Teo would be

proud of this crazy stuff. A melting pot of In A Silent Way, On The

Corner and Get Up With It where anything goes. Back to the current pick

though. This remix project is all tradition Irish music which usually

isn't my bag but in this context it works perfectly. Includes works by

a bunch of people I've never heard of. I'm sure some of this album got

airplay on the NPR show Thistles & Shamrocks a few years back.

That is all.

Oregon - "Out of the Woods"

It's been a while since I've put up anything. This album is from the late seventies. The group was comprised of Glen Moore, Paul McCandless, Ralph Towner, and Collin,Walcott. You may recognize the some of names from the Paul Winter Consort. Jazz verging into proto New Age and World Music. Woodwinds, piano, horns, and accoustic strings. Extraordinary and beautiful music. I just have the LP. I just checked on Amazon to steal the cover image and noticed the price of used CDs of this album are up for sale at prices ranging from $64 to $69 [:S]. One of the Amazon reviews said that the music sounded the way the cover looks. That about sums it up.

post-17394-13819298222246_thumb.jpg

Slade-Get Yer Boots On-The Best Of Slade CD. Great compilation of the awesome Slade. All the biggies are on here...Mama Weer All Crazee Now, Cum On Feel The Noize, Merry Xmas Everybody, Run Runaway, My Oh My and about 10 more. I guess most label Slade as Glam rock in the vein of T.Rex, Ziggy Stardust era Bowie or maybe Sweet, which leads me to...

LOL... it's funny you mentioned Slade, I just posted about them on a different site. I agree they are a great band, with great lyrics, great melodies! My favorite disc by them is:

You Boyz Make Big Noize

Love Is Like a Rock

That's What Friends Are For

Still the Same

Fools Go Crazy

She's Heavy

We Won't Give In

Won't You Rock With Me

Ooh la la in L.A.

Me and the Boys

Sing Shout (Knock Yourself Out)

Roaring Silence

It's Hard Having Fun Nowadays

post-13769-13819298231794_thumb.jpg

This is probably where I should spend my time on this forum but I jump around, so I'm still stuck in the 70's, and I don't see a change coming, so here we go again;

Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert 1973 CD (wish there was a DVD)

After the breakup of Derek and the Domino's Clapton slipped out of site for a few years, not performing or recording, and picked up a bad habit or two. Many knew sooner or later Eric would return to the music scene, and Pete Townshed helped him return, and return he did. On Jan. 13, 1973 EC returned to the stage with a band made up of friends; Pete Townshend, Ron Wood , Steve Winwood, Rick Gretch, Jim Capaldi, Jimmy Karstein, and ole' Rebop, and the rest is Rock History. What a band, the Rainbow Theatre, and Eric's return, Yes Sir. Now, let me say this, I always thought the vinyl version was way to short, not enough classic Clapton on it, but this CD is packed to the hilt with Vintage Clapton. The mix is so much better on CD, it only takes a few seconds, and Rebop is right there with the precussion, plus the original was only 6 songs, this disc has 14 songs. Added were classics like;Blues Power,Bell Bottom Blues, Layla, and Let it Rain, to mention a few. Great Sound, great song selection, a wonderful cast of friends onstage, and an OLD YARDBIRD front and center. Do not tell me your a Clapton fan, and not own this piece of Rock History. If you don't own it, get it, you won't be sorry, you might be surprised.

Fourth World Vol.1--Possible Musics. LP by Jon Hassell/Brian Eno.

I'm not sure what category to call it, experimental? The tracks evoke a natural environment through the use of rhythmic repetition and juxtapositions, with instruments both acoustic and electronic.

Born to Do It

Craig David, "Born To Do It", CD, R&B/Urban Soul

While there was a single from this album (Fill Me In) played on MTV, Craig's debut album is filled with great songs with clever lyrics and great beats. This is more of a "car" or "date" CD because of its pace and romantic flavor. [;)]It's also a nice change from the repetitive "hip-hop" heard every day on countless radio stations.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005EAXZ/sr=8-2/qid=1148404992/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6941722-2071040?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Hey frankphess, nice rig. You do alotta wheelin'?

nicholtl, My avatar is not actually my personal vehicle. I have a stock version of that truck. That avatar is what my truck aspires to be some day. (Also, I wouldn't be able to fit that beast in my garage.)

The English Beat: I Just Can't Stop It

CD, or LP

Ska

This is my favorite Ska album of all time. Ska seems to make a resurgence every 10 years or so with another batch of artists and updated styles. This album represents the wave of artists that came up in the late 70's early 80's. I have about 3 dozen Ska albums from several different periods and this one still puts a smile on my face EVERY time I play it. I have it on both vinyl and CD. The original US recordings are out of print but it has been reissued from the original European release. But here is the key thing to look for, the original European release did not contain 2 songs that made it onto the original US release, "Ranking Full Stop" and "Tears of A Clown". Those 2 songs are also not on the new reissues. They are both great songs (understatement) and really worth looking for in the used market on an original US release. Great party music and a great way to improve your mood if your having a bad day. Top 10 all time for me.

- Jim

post-17373-13819298284078_thumb.jpg

Fourth World Vol.1--Possible Musics. LP by Jon Hassell/Brian Eno.

I'm not sure what category to call it, experimental? The tracks evoke a natural environment through the use of rhythmic repetition and juxtapositions, with instruments both acoustic and electronic.

Category= Ambient

Also from the same era Cluster with Brian Eno 'Old Land'

Evoking times of old with mysterious synth sequences and spacey scenes. Primarily analog synths. Kind of Tangerine Dreamish.

Michael

From a referral on this forum--I tried some Faith No More, and burned these songs to a CD: Ashes to Ashes - A Small Victory - Midlife Crisis - Evidence - Epic - Smaller and Smaller - RV - Collision - Stripsearch - She Loves the Night -Helpless - Edge of the World - Caffeine - Ricochet - Pristina - War Pigs -Woodpeckers From Mars

from Angel Dust, King for a Day, The Real Thing, and Album of the Year. Angel Dust and Album of the Tear are both great CDs--

Of course I had heard of them but never listened--great stuff. Mike Patton is an incredibly versatile vocalist. He both raps and sings with such passion often in the same song.

Great funk rock metal with some pop metal --

This may have been suggested in the past but....David Gilmour "David Gilmour".If you are a Floyd/Gilmour fan you could never have a collection of the best without this one.Every track is oustanding and the sound quality is top notch,just the ticket for Klipsch.

post-9397-1381929830761_thumb.jpg